Brown Liquor Time

fredst

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

At $55 I might have to wait for some reviews, but thanks for the heads up and I'll remember the name for sure!

Every time I see the name, I think of that show on Netflix I like.  Locke and Key. Lol

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

On 3/17/2022 at 7:48 AM, McLoofus said:

At $55 I might have to wait for some reviews, but thanks for the heads up and I'll remember the name for sure!

C&K is totally legit, great spirits. Awesome distillery with an amazing history. THE Col EH Taylor started this distillery pre-prohibition with the idea of bourbon-tourism in mind. 

b1OmDS2.jpg

2B6VB3t.jpg

GCDrylN.jpg

LLw0sEK.jpg

UI90GJT.jpg

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Love 2

4 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

C&K is totally legit, great spirits. Awesome distillery with an amazing history. THE Col EH Taylor started this distillery pre-prohibition with the idea of bourbon-tourism in mind. 

b1OmDS2.jpg

2B6VB3t.jpg

GCDrylN.jpg

LLw0sEK.jpg

UI90GJT.jpg

Damn. I'd visit there even if they didn't have hooch.

3 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Not particularly. The third one had a great nose and flavor, but the finish was lacking. 

I remember you expressing that they weren't your favorite.

• 1 month later...
On 3/16/2022 at 4:56 PM, AUBwins said:

OK Bourbon boys, a new Bourbon is being released March 26th from Castle & Key distillery here in Versailles, KY.

https://www.kentucky.com/lexgoeat/bourbon/article259399839.html

Castle and Key was created in 2014. They refurbished an old distillery from the 70s. This is the first batch, aged 4 years.  Just throwing it out there in case y'all are wanting to try a first time Bourbon.  

Just read a couple days ago in a random article that the old distillery was built by Colonel EH Taylor. Went to the Castle & Key website to read more. Cool story. No idea if they will have the success of Taylor or if their whiskey will come close to touching the acclaim & hype of EH Taylor, but I definitely want to try it now.

Edit - just saw that Shocks already noted this...I should have read all the posts first

Edited by marsbold

PSA - found out the hard way that leaving whiskey in a vehicle this time of year is bad idea. Bought a bottle of Blantons last Saturday morning at the monthly Alabama ABC allocated whiskey sale. Had to immediately go to another event for a few hours. Left the Blantons laying sideways in front seat. The heat melted the wax seal & (my theory) caused the bottle pressure to build enough to loosen the cork. My passenger seat enjoyed half the bottle. Lesson learned...remove whiskey from vehicle immediately in hot months or at least leave it standing upright.

Side note based on some Blantons discussion a few pages back. I opened a bottle at Mardi Gras and have now been drinking the bottle I bought last week that my truck opened for me. First time I've circled back to Blantons or had any in a few years. As a single barrel, every one probably has slight differences, but both have been really good. I don't get the $150 or so secondary prices created by all the hype, but bottles I've been getting at the $60 MSRP have certainly been worth the price to me. 

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, marsbold said:

PSA - found out the hard way that leaving whiskey in a vehicle this time of year is bad idea. Bought a bottle of Blantons last Saturday morning at the monthly Alabama ABC allocated whiskey sale. Had to immediately go to another event for a few hours. Left the Blantons laying sideways in front seat. The heat melted the wax seal & (my theory) caused the bottle pressure to build enough to loosen the cork. My passenger seat enjoyed half the bottle. Lesson learned...remove whiskey from vehicle immediately in hot months or at least leave it standing upright.

Side note based on some Blantons discussion a few pages back. I opened a bottle at Mardi Gras and have now been drinking the bottle I bought last week that my truck opened for me. First time I've circled back to Blantons or had any in a few years. As a single barrel, every one probably has slight differences, but both have been really good. I don't get the $150 or so secondary prices created by all the hype, but bottles I've been getting at the $60 MSRP have certainly been worth the price to me. 

NOOOOOOOOOOO. That must have smelled... intense. And boooo to losing good bourbon.

That seems to be the general consensus on Blanton's these days- worth MSRP but no more than that. 

Nothing exciting on my end these days, but I did get some Elijah Craig BP (A122) that is really good and I'm still loving the Jack Daniels Single Barrel. 

• Like 1

On 3/27/2022 at 2:43 AM, ShocksMyBrain said:

b1OmDS2.jpg

2B6VB3t.jpg

GCDrylN.jpg

LLw0sEK.jpg

UI90GJT.jpg

Are those your pics or from website? 

7 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Mine. 

Sweet.  

On 4/29/2022 at 10:12 AM, McLoofus said:

NOOOOOOOOOOO. That must have smelled... intense. And boooo to losing good bourbon.

That seems to be the general consensus on Blanton's these days- worth MSRP but no more than that. 

Nothing exciting on my end these days, but I did get some Elijah Craig BP (A122) that is really good and I'm still loving the Jack Daniels Single Barrel. 

Wanted to drink whiskey every time I got in the truck this week. Smell has mostly faded now.

I'm loving an Elijah Craig BP that I have open. Think its the A121. Have another unopened one (3rd 2021 release) & assuming it's as good, I'll be buying it going forward whenever I find it.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, marsbold said:

Wanted to drink whiskey every time I got in the truck this week. Smell has mostly faded now.

I'm loving an Elijah Craig BP that I have open. Think its the A121. Have another unopened one (3rd 2021 release) & assuming it's as good, I'll be buying it going forward whenever I find it.

The EC barrel proofs are almost all solid, some really good. Have had a hard time finding around here over the last year but I would definitely buy each version every year if I could find.

Shame about the Blanton’s. I had a friend lose the majority of an “orphan barrel” several years back to the same situation- felt bad for him but I was glad to learn the lesson from his mistake.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Not much activity in the ol’ club recently and I have to admit that I haven’t spent much time on the board lately. Thought I’d share this one. Had seen but never tried but bought a bottle when I saw it on the shelf recently while buying a gift bottle for a friend. Always thought that the “105” was the proof point but in fact the whisky is 120 proof (cask strength, kind of like the bottle says lol). This is a *really* good whiskey, very full-bodied but doesn’t taste hot despite the high proof. Very highly recommend:

D0D9C348-781E-4F96-90BA-9A7E60ED2EF1.jpeg

• Love 1

16 hours ago, fredst said:

Not much activity in the ol’ club recently and I have to admit that I haven’t spent much time on the board lately. Thought I’d share this one. Had seen but never tried but bought a bottle when I saw it on the shelf recently while buying a gift bottle for a friend. Always thought that the “105” was the proof point but in fact the whisky is 120 proof (cask strength, kind of like the bottle says lol). This is a *really* good whiskey, very full-bodied but doesn’t taste hot despite the high proof. Very highly recommend:

Seconded. Actually had this bottle recommended to me by the person working in a whiskey store I visited in Scotland a few years back. Bought a bottle and rarely touched it b/c I didn't want to run out and never see it around here. Found a replacement bottle in Columbus, GA a few months ago & the employee I spoke with there said they consistently have it. Not the easiest bottle to find but definitely worth trying if you're a scotch fan.

• Love 1

• 4 weeks later...

Had my first glass from my infinity bottle last night. Fun building it up over last couple months and anticipating the result. Pretty darn good and lots of flavor. Absolutely no idea though if there is anything out there I could compare it to. Picking out & describing flavor notes isn't a strength...my refined palette says something is good, OK, or bad or that it burns or is smooth; don't quite pick up on the subtle cherry, oak, graphite, leather, etc notes that people write about.

If you're not familiar with the infinity bottle concept, it's basically combining the leftovers of many bottles into one container. So anytime I get to the bottom of a bottle and have less than a full pour, I dump contents into a glass decanter. I waited until my decanter was full (probably 8-10 bottles), but of course you could sample result at any time. Drink a little over time and then add contents of other nearly empty bottles. So you have your own creation that is always changing.

I'll add about any american whiskey to mine (won't add scotch, irish, weird cask finishes). Didn't keep a record of contents, but I know it has some ryes (Sazarac, a Redwood Empire rye, probably more), some cheaper bottles (Old Grand-Dad BiB, Buffalo Trace, etc), and some more mid range bottles (Blanton's, Weller 107, Heaven Hill BiB).

Passing idea along for anyone that hasn't heard of it before & because I've enjoyed it so far.

Edited by marsbold
fixed typo
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, marsbold said:

Had my first glass from my infinite bottle last night. Fun building it up over last couple months and anticipating the result. Pretty darn good and lots of flavor. Absolutely no idea though if there is anything out there I could compare it to. Picking out & describing flavor notes isn't a strength...my refined palette says something is good, OK, or bad or that it burns or is smooth; don't quite pick up on the subtle cherry, oak, graphite, leather, etc notes that people write about.

If you're not familiar with the infinity bottle concept, it's basically combining the leftovers of many bottles into one container. So anytime I get to the bottom of a bottle and have less than a full pour, I dump contents into a glass decanter. I waited until my decanter was full (probably 8-10 bottles), but of course you could sample result at any time. Drink a little over time and then add contents of other nearly empty bottles. So you have your own creation that is always changing.

I'll add about any american whiskey to mine (won't add scotch, irish, weird cask finishes). Didn't keep a record of contents, but I know it has some ryes (Sazarac, a Redwood Empire rye, probably more), some cheaper bottles (Old Grand-Dad BiB, Buffalo Trace, etc), and some more mid range bottles (Blanton's, Weller 107, Heaven Hill BiB).

Passing idea along for anyone that hasn't heard of it before & because I've enjoyed it so far.

I've never heard of that before.  I bet that is quite interesting.  Makes sense since in my youth, the goal was to add all the fountain drinks together in your cup 🥤 lol

Edited by AUBwins

On 5/12/2022 at 4:47 PM, fredst said:

I think there’s a few of us that have been a little sparse from the board. Here’s another reason why I haven’t been imbibing on brown water. 

Knn0aqm.jpg

So yay Memphis summer. I did get to try a Laphroaig 10 that was over proofed recently that was awesome. Had the Oban Little Bay, which was legit as well. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I think there’s a few of us that have been a little sparse from the board. Here’s another reason why I haven’t been imbibing on brown water. 

Knn0aqm.jpg

So yay Memphis summer. I did get to try a Laphroaig 10 that was over proofed recently that was awesome. Had the Oban Little Bay, which was legit as well. 

I hear ya. Felt like the dog days today in Huntsville, AL- just brutally hot to be mid June. Good time for a nice sour or Pilsner for my taste, not brown liquor time though I agree

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 9/18/2022 at 12:20 AM, ShocksMyBrain said:

Groomsmen suite was off the chain today. That HH 17 is ******* fantastic. 

0JKRvl1.jpg

Very nice. I will, of course, never find the HH but the Russell’s is IMO very solid and findable and anything Barrell is good. Is the Bardstown any good?