Brown Liquor Time

fredst

Looking for the release of LittleBook Chapter 3 (I thought Chapter 2 was good though overpriced). Chapter3 really intrigues me. Anybody seen this on the shelf or, better yet, tasted yet? @ShocksMyBrain?

Add.: Never mind. Looks like it will be the standard October release. For some reason I had in my head it was being released in August.

Edited by fredst

4 hours ago, fredst said:

Looking for the release of LittleBook Chapter 3 (I thought Chapter 2 was good though overpriced). Chapter3 really intrigues me. Anybody seen this on the shelf or, better yet, tasted yet? @ShocksMyBrain?

We haven’t heard anything yet. But if I had to guess, it’ll land in the Fall in Memphis. 

• Thanks 1

On June 18, 2019 at 6:18 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

Kentucky is not the only place that makes bourbon 😉. A common misconception. Bourbon can be made in only the contiguous US(sorry Hawaii and Alaska). 

There’s strict guidelines on what can be considered bourbon, but being made exclusively in Kentucky isn’t one of them. A good chunk of the bourbon(especially the newer distilleries) on the shelves is actually made by MGP in Indiana.

Haven’t heard of Dettling, but I bet it’s an MGP product. Clyde May’s is another Alabama bourbon. 

It was my understanding that Clyde May's was declared the state whiskey, but that was back when distillation was not yet legal.

Haven't tried it yet, but I believe it's now built elsewhere?

55 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

It was my understanding that Clyde May's was declared the state whiskey, but that was back when distillation was not yet legal.

Haven't tried it yet, but I believe it's now built elsewhere?

That’s all I’ve drank whiskey wise recently. I really enjoy it, Eagle Rare, and Buffalo. 

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

That’s all I’ve drank whiskey wise recently. I really enjoy it, Eagle Rare, and Buffalo. 

Trying to confirm/update my recollections, I found this ~yr old article concerning their plans:

“The brand is giving back to Alabama

In 2017, Conecuh Ridge Distillery announced they will be opening a $13 million tasting facility in Troy. The facility will include an artisan distillery, rack houses and a bottling hub, with an estimated 50 jobs created for the area.

The site will give visitors an opportunity to engage directly with the brand on stops through southern Alabama."

https://www.al.com/life/erry-2018/03/98c4117201/everything_you_should_know_abo.html,

but I find no evidence of completion yet.

Got a bottle on my shelf (gift from son in law) that I'm waiting to crack in fall weather.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2019 at 3:18 PM, AUld fAUx@ said:

Trying to confirm/update my recollections, I found this ~yr old article concerning their plans:

“The brand is giving back to Alabama

In 2017, Conecuh Ridge Distillery announced they will be opening a $13 million tasting facility in Troy. The facility will include an artisan distillery, rack houses and a bottling hub, with an estimated 50 jobs created for the area.

The site will give visitors an opportunity to engage directly with the brand on stops through southern Alabama."

https://www.al.com/life/erry-2018/03/98c4117201/everything_you_should_know_abo.html,

but I find no evidence of completion yet.

Got a bottle on my shelf (gift from son in law) that I'm waiting to crack in fall weather.

Rep came in with the entire Clyde line. The 110 proof was easily my favorite. It is being made in Kentucky(he wouldn’t tell me who), until probably 2021 or 2025 something like that. He wasn’t totally clear. 

The rye is MGP fwiw. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Rep came in with the entire Clyde line. The 110 proof was easily my favorite. It is being made in Kentucky(he wouldn’t tell me who), until probably 2021 or 2025 something like that. He wasn’t totally clear. 

The rye is MGP fwiw. 

So the 110 is your favorite. Would you suggest it to any of your customers at MSRP?

My way of asking if I should buy some. 

18 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

The rye is MGP fwiw. 

Forgive me but

"MGP"?

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

So the 110 is your favorite. Would you suggest it to any of your customers at MSRP?

My way of asking if I should buy some. 

At $60...I say pass. I have a hard time spending that kind of money on sourced whiskey. 

2 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

At $60...I say pass. I have a hard time spending that kind of money on sourced whiskey. 

Oh, wow. Yeah, once you get up that high I'm having a hard time passing up something I know and love like Blanton's, EH Taylor, etc. 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Oh, wow. Yeah, once you get up that high I'm having a hard time passing up something I know and love like Blanton's, EH Taylor, etc. 

Ed Zachary. 

That said, knowing our customers and they’re willingness to spend money on whatever just because they think “expensive = better”, I’ll try to sell it. 

If we can sell $80 2-year old bourbons, someone will buy it. Which I think is beyond a waste of money. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Ed Zachary. 

That said, knowing our customers and they’re willingness to spend money on whatever just because they think “expensive = better”, I’ll try to sell it. 

If we can sell $80 2-year old bourbons, someone will buy it. Which I think is beyond a waste of money. 

If I had (a lot) more disposable income, maybe I'd be willing to experiment at that price point. But like you said, it doesn't seem to be about the actual experience for some folks. 

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

If I had (a lot) more disposable income, maybe I'd be willing to experiment at that price point. But like you said, it doesn't seem to be about the actual experience for some folks. 

Indeed. And on the other hand, I may be contradicting myself, but we tried a 3.5 year old bourbon the other day. Saint Cloud, $120 and I think it’s worth every penny. Best under aged whiskey I’ve ever had. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain

6 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Indeed. And on the other hand, I may be contradicting myself, but we tried a 3.5 year old bourbon the other day. Saint Cloud, $120 and I think it’s worth every penny. Best under aged whiskey I’ve ever had. 

Rule, meet exception. 

Saint Cloud... will keep it on my "somebody else is buying" radar, lol. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MGP_of_Indiana

A place where most startups(and some even bigger names that you’d be surprised by) get their bourbon made until while their own product comes to age. 

Many Thanks

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Many Thanks

If you read the labels on quite a few different bourbons, it’ll say “distilled in Indiana, bottled in wherever”. That’s how you know it’s MGP. 

The bourbon community is quite divided on the topic. Because you have startups charging an arm and a leg on booze they didn’t make in house. Whistle Pig Boss Hogg runs $600 a bottle and they don’t even technically make it. I’ve had it, and you’d be a dumbass to pay that much. Most of WP’s products are MGP except Farmstock which is a blend of Canadian/MGP/Vermont(where their distillery actually is). And WP products start at $50-60 and up. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, auburntiger1987 said:

Even for the "really good stuff" i have a hard time pulling the trigger. when you can find a lot of really good entries in the 30-40 dollar range.  Although i did buy blood oath for 150 as a Christmas present to myself 

Hear, hear. 

How was that Blood Oath?

I tend to save my big ticket purchases for scotch just because it's harder to find good scotch under $60. 

The Blood Oath Pact 5 is good. Not sure it is worth the price, even at MSRP. The bourbon market is so crazy with pricing it’s hard to know whether to buy the hard-to-get stuff. At $100 I would give it a “maybe”, if you are kind of a drinker/collector that likes to get the unusual releases. I don’t mind paying a premium for good whiskey if it’s something I enjoy, even sourced whiskey. Having said that if I could stay supplied I could drink only EH Taylor Single Barrel and be just fine.

As an aside, if we beat A&M Saturday I am going to celebrate with a pour of the George T Stagg that I have- if there’s a better whiskey in the world I haven’t tasted it. Cheers!

On 9/20/2019 at 9:13 AM, fredst said:

The Blood Oath Pact 5 is good. Not sure it is worth the price, even at MSRP. The bourbon market is so crazy with pricing it’s hard to know whether to buy the hard-to-get stuff. At $100 I would give it a “maybe”, if you are kind of a drinker/collector that likes to get the unusual releases. I don’t mind paying a premium for good whiskey if it’s something I enjoy, even sourced whiskey. Having said that if I could stay supplied I could drink only EH Taylor Single Barrel and be just fine.

As an aside, if we beat A&M Saturday I am going to celebrate with a pour of the George T Stagg that I have- if there’s a better whiskey in the world I haven’t tasted it. Cheers!

I agree. I wasn’t as excited about the newer blood oath offering. The higher proof rebel yell is good and the David Nelson is really good as well