Next Years O-Line

AuburnNTexas

The reality is that so far this years line has been inconsistent and even if a miracle occurred and we some how found some great O-Line recruits in the upcoming class they would not be able to help us this year. I am trying to figure out who would give us the best chance this coming year.

LT will stay Prince Tega as he has shown signs and hopefully with one more season he can really be the LT we need.

RT Driscoll has been adequate but keeps getting hurt also I don't see room for a lot of improvement

Harrell and Horton have been disappointments this year but last year looked pretty good possibly a combination of a new system and minor injuries at least one should be able to help us next year.

Troxell has potential of replacing Driscoll at RT or winning one of the guard spots I actually have high hopes for him. One more year in weight room and getting completely healthy.

Ashley like Troxell has potential to beat out Driscoll or win out at one of the guard positions needs to work on his technique. I believe guard maybe his best position.

Kim is just not physical enough I don't seem him winning Center

Brahm has not been much better than Kim but is young another year in strength and conditioning and another year away from Broken leg and he might become a center.

Jalil Irvin has Redshirted I think he can be a Center if Brahm does not take the job

Prince Sammons has the physical attributes but apparently is not picking up the game unless a light comes on I don't see him playing next year.

Three players I really don't know much about Tashawn Manning, Brodarius Hamm, Kameron Stutts basically interior O-Line but I would need somebody else to tell me if they can develop into SEC O-linemen.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, CR said:

Much closer to bottom of the SEC than the top. And no relief in sight.

It’s okay at least old man Grimes is an excellent recruiter...wait...

Personally, I still blame the system & the techniques apparently being taught.  Both create for a passive OLine.  They need to put aggressiveness back into the line.  Fix that and the personnel they have in place would probably be solid.  Just my opinion.

Hope we're beating the JC ranks to find some mean...nasty...linemen....or is there anyone else at J-State who is graduating early that can play???

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

The reality is that so far this years line has been inconsistent and even if a miracle occurred and we some how found some great O-Line recruits in the upcoming class they would not be able to help us this year. I am trying to figure out who would give us the best chance this coming year.

LT will stay Prince Tega as he has shown signs and hopefully with one more season he can really be the LT we need.

RT Driscoll has been adequate but keeps getting hurt also I don't see room for a lot of improvement

Harrell and Horton have been disappointments this year but last year looked pretty good possibly a combination of a new system and minor injuries at least one should be able to help us next year.

Troxell has potential of replacing Driscoll at RT or winning one of the guard spots I actually have high hopes for him. One more year in weight room and getting completely healthy.

Ashley like Troxell has potential to beat out Driscoll or win out at one of the guard positions needs to work on his technique. I believe guard maybe his best position.

Kim is just not physical enough I don't seem him winning Center

Brahm has not been much better than Kim but is young another year in strength and conditioning and another year away from Broken leg and he might become a center

That's a solid line-up in the Southern or maybe even the Sun-Belt Conference.

They will be top half of the conference next year.  Probably somewhere around 5th best in the SEC.  if Tega stays which he should.  As always health is a huge factor and our OL hasn’t been healthy all year.  Experience and health is everything for an OL and we have had neither this year.  

3 minutes ago, corchjay said:

They will be top half of the conference next year.  Probably somewhere around 5th best in the SEC.  if Tega stays which he should.  As always health is a huge factor and our OL hasn’t been healthy all year.  Experience and health is everything for an OL and we have had neither this year.  

Yeah I often wonder why people assume these guys won’t get better. They haven’t played well this year but the experience and an extra year under their belt will do wonders. Also, a QB that can relieve some stress as well. Looks like we have several in that regard 

Need someone to step up at guard and right tackle.  Brahms should get better.  I think Harrell is finally healthy and played his best game last game.  Driscoll hasn’t been the guy I was hoping for.  Definitely should be better than what we have now.  

3 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Need someone to step up at guard and right tackle.  Brahms should get better.  I think Harrell is finally healthy and played his best game last game.  Driscoll hasn’t been the guy I was hoping for.  Definitely should be better than what we have now.  

Driscoll and/or Trox have to step up in run blocking.  Driscoll has been average at best in pass pro and has many missed assignments on the year.  Twist, stunts, wrap arounds have all been nightmares for the OL in pass pro.  Should be much improved with experience of this season.  I won’t say that they will be a “strength” but I don’t think they will be the liability they are this year.  We still need quality depth so 4-5 signees are required almost every year.  Take 2 guards 2 OT every year and 1 center every other year.  We missed filling needs a couple years and quality depth has hurt us.  That needs to be corrected as soon as possible.  Just like DB was/is... can you imagine what our DBs would look like this year without one of the top front 7s in the country in front of them?  Yikes 

I don't think JB is going anywhere. I believe he is a very good coach. He inherited a mess upon his return to the Loveliest Village on the Plains and I have confidence that he will fix it. Maybe I am just an old dreamer. :sleeping:

2 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Driscoll and/or Trox have to step up in run blocking.  Driscoll has been average at best in pass pro and has many missed assignments on the year.  Twist, stunts, wrap arounds have all been nightmares for the OL in pass pro.  Should be much improved with experience of this season.  I won’t say that they will be a “strength” but I don’t think they will be the liability they are this year.  We still need quality depth so 4-5 signees are required almost every year.  Take 2 guards 2 OT every year and 1 center every other year.  We missed filling needs a couple years and quality depth has hurt us.  That needs to be corrected as soon as possible.  Just like DB was/is... can you imagine what our DBs would look like this year without one of the top front 7s in the country in front of them?  Yikes 

I don’t want to give him all the credit but something changed on defense when Muschamp showed up.  He brought in some quality talent in the defensive backfield and the D hasn’t looked back.  I don’t know what has to change on the offensive side sans a complete overhaul, which I’m not a fan of, to correct it.  I don’t really look at recruiting except for signing day so I didn’t realize Auburn was so far off on Oline recruits.

I think we will see an new OC, OL coach, and possibly new RB coach. Gus needs to make a splash hire with the OC with someone like Freeze or Kendal Briles. Gus will take a lot of flack with hiring either of these coaches, but needs to hold his ground with the hire. Before any of this can happen, Gus needs to win the TAMU game and have a good showing against UGA & turds.

I honestly think that if we lose TAMU and the rest of our SEC schedule, Gus is gone. Time will tell this story no doubt.

3 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

I think we will see an new OC, OL coach, and possibly new RB coach. Gus needs to make a splash hire with the OC with someone like Freeze or Kendal Briles. Gus will take a lot of flack with hiring either of these coaches, but needs to hold his ground with the hire. Before any of this can happen, Gus needs to win the TAMU game and have a good showing against UGA & turds.

I honestly think that if we lose TAMU and the rest of our SEC schedule, Gus is gone. Time will tell this story no doubt.

If we could get both KBs that would be awesome.

3 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Personally, I still blame the system & the techniques apparently being taught.  Both create for a passive OLine.  They need to put aggressiveness back into the line.  Fix that and the personnel they have in place would probably be solid.  Just my opinion.

We have lead the nation in rushing once ( first sec team ever) and lead the sec in rushing 3 or 4 times in 6 years. That doesn’t happen with a staff that creates “passive “ offensive lines. I have no explanation for the oline woes this season but I don’t think you’re on the right track at all. 

11 minutes ago, alexava said:

We have lead the nation in rushing once ( first sec team ever) and lead the sec in rushing 3 or 4 times in 6 years. That doesn’t happen with a staff that creates “passive “ offensive lines. I have no explanation for the oline woes this season but I don’t think you’re on the right track at all. 

1 word... Experience

20 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

I don’t want to give him all the credit but something changed on defense when Muschamp showed up.  He brought in some quality talent in the defensive backfield and the D hasn’t looked back.  I don’t know what has to change on the offensive side sans a complete overhaul, which I’m not a fan of, to correct it.  I don’t really look at recruiting except for signing day so I didn’t realize Auburn was so far off on Oline recruits.

Yes but we did miss at safety and are light at CB.  It would be a huge issue if our DL and front 7 hadn't been lights out most of the year and that's with one of the best defensive back coaches in the country with Brown

If I'm tega I leave. I don't trust any of it though. I'm not just going to think the guys not playing aren't better than the guys that are actually. I wouldn't be surprised at the least if Ashley, the other Prince and trox should all be playing actually

4 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

I agree with you, but I think todays football has taken aggression out of most o lineman. They used to break huddle, run to the line, put a hand in the dirt, and fight the guy across from them. Now they rush to line after the play,  squat, and wait for 20 or 30 seconds while the QB shuffles people around and the center points at 3 or 4 defenders. I’m surprised more of them dont cramp up in that scenario. Throw in zone blocking schemes, and they are spending much more time thinking and less time mauling. Not sure what the anwer is. 

2 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

The O line will improve next year so Gus will have to find a new way to lose 4 games...and he will...

Can we please have a normal conversation without injecting hate of Gus into it....

I'm sure a True Freshman QB possibly will be plenty of reasons to lose 4 games and a very inexperienced front 7...  but gotta play the games first

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

If I'm tega I leave. I don't trust any of it though. I'm not just going to think the guys not playing aren't better than the guys that are actually. I wouldn't be surprised at the least if Ashley, the other Prince and trox should all be playing actually

I'm not sure Tega has enough draft status at this point... UDFA at this point.  Trox is the only one of the 3 others you listed that have a shot at playing time this year unless major injuries pile up.  

2 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I agree with you, but I think todays football has taken aggression out of most o lineman. They used to break huddle, run to the line, put a hand in the dirt, and fight the guy across from them. Now they rush to line after the play,  squat, and wait for 20 or 30 seconds while the QB shuffles people around and the center points at 3 or 4 defenders. I’m surprised more of them dont cramp up in that scenario. Throw in zone blocking schemes, and they are spending much more time thinking and less time mauling. Not sure what the anwer is. 

I can see that as well. I think it's a pretty big problem when the kid from the small Christian school gets to your big time college team and he's the nastiest o lineman when he gets there 😞

Archived