Greene wants breathing room between UGA and UAT

gr82be

21 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

If we could get one big conference rivalry game each month, I'd be so happy.  UGA in Sept, LSU in Oct, and Bama in Nov sounds perfect to me.

I agree. Why put your team at a disadvantage right out of the gate every single year by making the schedule so tough that it becomes one more obstacle to overcome? In the SEC West it's just not smart planning. Auburn does not need to be the sacrificial lamb year after year.

21 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

If we could get one big conference rivalry game each month, I'd be so happy.  UGA in Sept, LSU in Oct, and Bama in Nov sounds perfect to me.

Swap thUga & LSU and I'm on board.

I think the Ga game would be a great Halloween week game.

1 minute ago, AUsince72 said:

Swap thUga & LSU and I'm on board.

I think the Ga game would be a great Halloween week game.

UGA will never agree to move the Cocktail Party off of Halloween weekend.

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

UGA will never agree to move the Cocktail Party off of Halloween weekend.

Oops... I admit I didn't think of that.

Do they always play that week?  I never paid much attention to it.

Either way, for me, personally, I'd rather have LSU first, thUga 2nd.  Not sure why... Just "feels" right.

2 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Oops... I admit I didn't think of that.

Do they always play that week?  I never paid much attention to it.

Either way, for me, personally, I'd rather have LSU first, thUga 2nd.  Not sure why... Just "feels" right.

Yup.  UGA/UF is always the last week of October.

I'd rather have UGA first because it technically means less in the standings, so if we lose, we aren't totally behind the 8 ball early.  A loss to LSU is like losing a game and a half in Sept.

Have we even approached the SEC about making a change?  It could be done.  It may take 4-5 years to get the conference schedules arranged but the conference could do it if they wanted to.  If it was lil nicki asking, it would be done by the next season. 

4 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Have we even approached the SEC about making a change?  It could be done.  It may take 4-5 years to get the conference schedules arranged but the conference could do it if they wanted to.  If it was lil nicki asking, it would be done by the next season. 

Greene is talking about with them.  Actually shooting for 2020.

8 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Yup.  UGA/UF is always the last week of October.

I'd rather have UGA first because it technically means less in the standings, so if we lose, we aren't totally behind the 8 ball early.  A loss to LSU is like losing a game and a half in Sept.

I understand, you're thinking strategically.

I'm thinking emotionally.  I've, personally, always enjoyed our two biggest rivals at the end of the year.  I like the season building up to that. ...just would rather it be one home, one away every year.  LSU, though I do look forward to that game, is not as big a deal to me.  So I don't mind getting it over with early in season but would rather enjoy the longer "build-up" to the thUga game.

I leave the strategic thinking to the professionals 😁

22 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

I actually would prefer LSU in September and UGA in October, but I have no rhyme or reason why. 

15 minutes ago, CT Tiger said:

I actually would prefer LSU in September and UGA in October, but I have no rhyme or reason why. 

See my reasoning above.  It's a strategic move to have UGA earlier.

When Auburn takes care of Auburn we have proven we can beat both these teams. Playing them so close together has not stopped us when our team was better. It’s just another excuse for our fans to use when we underachieve. Hell the way it takes Gus half a season to figure out the offense we should be glad those two games are later in the year...all that being said I wouldn’t mind it being moved, I just don’t think it’s that big a deal. 

Auburn to present ideas to fix UGA, Alabama hiccup in schedule

ByBRANDON MARCELLO 

AUBURN, Alabama — Auburn is ready to move the Georgia game earlier in the season and also fix the scheduling hiccup that results in the Tigers facing their two main rivals on the road every other season.

Auburn athletics director Allen Greene is working on plans to present to the SEC to move the Georgia game to earlier in the season or, at the very least, fix the schedule to allow Auburn to play Georgia on the road in odds years instead of even years. The solution would alleviate the Tigers' schedule, which features away games at both Georgia and Alabama in the final three weeks of the regular season in even years.

"It’s complicated," Greene told Auburn Undercover, "and if I’m thinking just of Auburn then the simple fix is to spread them out and to move them home and away, but I know it’s more complicated than that. Really what we’re trying to do is find the solution for Auburn and the best solution for the league."

Greene said there is not "an avenue" for Auburn to fix the schedule until the current SEC rotation ends at the end of the 2024 football season.

He plans to present the ideas to athletic directors in February and again at the SEC's spring meetings in May.

"It can be done," he said. "It’s a matter of will it be and what are willing to give up and other teams willing to give up to make that happen and if there’s a benefit to them. If we can find win-wins, then it’ll make it a heck of a lot easier for us."

Auburn has faced both Alabama and Georgia on the road in even years and at home in odd years since the SEC expanded with the additions of Missouri and Texas A&M in 2012. Georgia was forced by the SEC to travel to Auburn in back-to-back years in 2012 and 2013 to accommodate the SEC's expansion.

Auburn is open to playing at Georgia in two straight seasons to fix the hiccup, Greene said.

"Whatever Allen wants is fine, but what I want is one home and one away," Malzahn said Tuesday.

The move hasn’t been a good one for the Tigers in even years. They have yet to beat either Georgia or Alabama on the road since the schedule changed. The Tigers travel to No. 5 Georgia on Saturday.

Auburn’s only wins against Alabama and Georgia since Gus Malzahn took over as head coach occurred in 2013 and 2017, when the Tigers hosted both rivals in the final two weeks of the regular season and knocked off both teams. The Tigers are a combined 0-6 against their two rivals in even years since 2012.

Then-Auburn athletics director Jay Jacobs attempted to stir the pot at the conference’s spring meetings in 2017 by publicly discussing the idea of moving Auburn to the SEC East. Part of the idea was moving the Iron Bowl to earlier in November.

Jacobs, however, never presented the idea to SEC commissioner Greg Sankey in an official capacity, despite saying he would do so.

Archived