Sign in to follow this  
corchjay

Hoover/IMG ESPNU 8pm CDT

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, around4ever said:

Great post!  Is the tuition at IMG really that much?  How many of those athletes' families actually pay the $20K per semester tuition?  I would guess that not many can afford that.  So, that means they offer scholarships or arrange loans for them, to be paid off when the athlete makes it to the pros.  Something about that doesn't seem right.  

The tuition at IMG is close to $70k per year. They are basically a semi-pro team; no way most of the really good players are paying anywhere close to full tuition cost. How is it getting funded? Who knows for sure, I don’t care to investigate. It’s right that they can’t compete for state titles. Only reason to play them is for publicity and if you really want to compete against a superstar group to see how you stack up. I think it’s terrible for high school athletics personally.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




47 minutes ago, fredst said:

The tuition at IMG is close to $70k per year. They are basically a semi-pro team; no way most of the really good players are paying anywhere close to full tuition cost. How is it getting funded? Who knows for sure, I don’t care to investigate. It’s right that they can’t compete for state titles. Only reason to play them is for publicity and if you really want to compete against a superstar group to see how you stack up. I think it’s terrible for high school athletics personally.

That's the thing though, you don't have to play them.  Only schedule them if you want to.

If I had a kid that was good enough to get a scholarship offer from them, I'd really have to think long and hard about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, AUatHeart said:

That's the thing though, you don't have to play them.  Only schedule them if you want to.

If I had a kid that was good enough to get a scholarship offer from them, I'd really have to think long and hard about it.

That’s exactly what I was saying re: scheduling/playing them. They also claim to not offer scholarships and to have limited financial aid available so you tell me how all these kids are ending up there, particularly the number of elite football players. The whole situation seems a lot like the stuff that is going through the courts and has caused such a mess in the NCAA basketball world. There’s kind of a sleaze factor to it, IMO.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, fredst said:

That’s exactly what I was saying re: scheduling/playing them. They also claim to not offer scholarships and to have limited financial aid available so you tell me how all these kids are ending up there, particularly the number of elite football players. The whole situation seems a lot like the stuff that is going through the courts and has caused such a mess in the NCAA basketball world. There’s kind of a sleaze factor to it, IMO.

I agree 100%.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Zeek said:

Sorry for the soap box moment and I know Hoover knew what they signed up for but some teams don’t get that choice. #FHSAAsucks

Agree 100%  and the Hoover kids did not sign up for that....some adults looking for $$ for the program did...JMO

But,  my local HS tangled with one of those schools form the Wash DC area....we are 1-2 A and it was crazy for the coach to do that but he needed to fill and open date.  The visitors put out a  "press release" locally the day of the game noting they had 9 DIv 1 commitments on the team....couple 300+ pound OL and a 250 pound DE....and of course they wiped the field with us and fortunately only one of our guys was hurt badly enough to miss a couple games. 

Hope it was "lesson learned" for our coach....but generally money talks and IMG can count on finding some big programs that are on the lookout for a nice TV game and a payday. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AUatHeart said:

That's the thing though, you don't have to play them.  Only schedule them if you want to.

If I had a kid that was good enough to get a scholarship offer from them, I'd really have to think long and hard about it.

Football is way ahead of that curve though. They have a choice but the rest of the sports are stuck with the bs.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are scholarships available for other sports.  I know a kid that played soccer for them.  He took it instead of continuing to go to a private Catholic school and playing on that team (no scholarship for the private school).  IMG is only about 5-10 minutes away from where I live.  I did meet one parent who paid to have his kid go there for baseball and the kid was from Virginia.  He explained to me that by going to IMG his kid got a lot of exposure to great coaching and access to scouts for colleges and pros.  He said the return on investment was worth it because he would pay for college because of scholarship offers and potential draft.  He said had the kid stayed at home and went to HS where they lived they wouldn't have sniffed college or pros.  I guess it was a small school in southern va.  There is a lot of foreign students that are there to learn other sports.  The tennis academy is world known and their other programs are also improving.  Yes it is expensive but for those that want the training it is there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this