Will SEC allow Freeze to Auburn

provibe

39 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Would freeze help ? Not a smart ass question . Just curious if he could run his own deal

That's pretty much my question...."will Gus actually LET him help?"

If Gus would treat Freeze as he treats Steele (stand back and let him do his job), then I think Freeze could be a great help.  

That's the multi-million dollar "if" though....

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

If Gus would treat Freeze as he treats Steele (stand back and let him do his job), then I think Freeze could be a great help.  

I think Gus would. 

1 hour ago, PoetTiger said:

And how did he get some of that talent @ Ole Miss....He Cheated and never sniffed the SEC west title....I don’t see this lack of toughness in Gus’s offense....maybe not as talented/inexperienced at some spots but Gus believes in a physical hard nosed running attack with play action.

Besides Freeze was more finesse. His offense was not physical in the run game but great in the passing game...that’s where I see him being and asset and how he can help Gus.

It’s okay to let go. He cheated, he has had to deal with the consequences. If he is open to restarting his career at Auburn then so be it.

36 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Pretty sure all Chip does is "help" so yeah, Gus would let Freeze help too. I no longer wonder if Gus would stand back and let any OC do their job. The mystery of his offense as we all know it has been solved. The way Gus uses situational players for his plays it's like he's playing the shell game but with three different types of nuts...It's easy to follow who's got the ball because of this. His only chance at success in the future is to admit he needs help. I'm not sure he can do that. 

9 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Pretty sure all Chip does is "help" so yeah, Gus would let Freeze help too. I no longer wonder if Gus would stand back and let any OC do their job. The mystery of his offense as we all know it has been solved. The way Gus uses situational players for his plays it's like he's playing the shell game but with three different types of nuts...It's easy to follow who's got the ball because of this. His only chance at success in the future is to admit he needs help. I'm not sure he can do that. 

Like I said, that's the very expensive question.

I'm not convinced he's able to stand back like he does with the defense either.

BUT.... If he were able.... 

The only problem I had with Freeze's OM offenses was the lack of RB size.  He seems to like scat backs (IIRC).  That grew to be one of my issues with Baby Bowden.  I like RB's who can dish out hits too.  If he's gonna recruit "small" RB's I would hope he'd go after more like Worm at least...he plays big at least.

But, at this point, anything is better than what AU's offense has become.

36 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I think Gus would. 

I hope so.

I think Gus is back regardless, so I'm certainly open to seeing if it will happen.

1 hour ago, PoetTiger said:

And how did he get some of that talent @ Ole Miss....He Cheated and never sniffed the SEC west title....I don’t see this lack of toughness in Gus’s offense....maybe not as talented/inexperienced at some spots but Gus believes in a physical hard nosed running attack with play action.

Besides Freeze was more finesse. His offense was not physical in the run game but great in the passing game...that’s where I see him being and asset and how he can help Gus.

That's true but when you have a line that can't consistently run block, puts up 19 yds rushing in a game, you better be able to adapt and use some finesse. We can do some finessing this year with a throwing QB but next year we don't have one (other than a true Fr) and we'll have the same OL. We need to adapt to what we have so maybe Breeze or Briles is the answer.

36 minutes ago, DAG said:

It’s okay to let go. He cheated, he has had to deal with the consequences. If he is open to restarting his career at Auburn then so be it.

Not like we haven’t let things slide with a few previous players. I’m open to letting a previously shunned coach get his feet back under him. 

Everyone on here is presuming Freeze would come and work for Gus.  I think that is a bad assumption.  

4 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Everyone on here is presuming Freeze would come and work for Gus.  I think that is a bad assumption.  

So he can go be OC for an upcoming failure of an amateur football league for ~$130k, or get back into SEC football working with his buddy for probably ~$1m. 

I think it’s a fair assumption. 

26 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

So he can go be OC for an upcoming failure of an amateur football league for ~$130k, or get back into SEC football working with his buddy for probably ~$1m. 

I think it’s a fair assumption. 

Didn't know that was the decision.   I figured if we offered, other D1 schools would offer.  Doubt we will be the only offer

I guess we all weird and need to wake up from this dream. Even if Freeze or another OC even comes it will still be based on what Gus wants to do. Gus is an offensive coach, he aint giving the keys to his offense to no one. Best we can hope is he will let Freeze ride shotgun.

3 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

I guess we all weird and need to wake up from this dream. Even if Freeze or another OC even comes it will still be based on what Gus wants to do. Gus is an offensive coach, he aint giving the keys to his offense to no one. Best we can hope is he will let Freeze ride shotgun.

That’s kind of the argument that’s been made at one point or another. If Gus brings in Freeze, there’s a pretty good chance Gus will go hands off due to their mutual respect. 

2 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Like I said, that's the very expensive question.

I'm not convinced he's able to stand back like he does with the defense either.

BUT.... If he were able.... 

The only problem I had with Freeze's OM offenses was the lack of RB size.  He seems to like scat backs (IIRC).  That grew to be one of my issues with Baby Bowden.  I like RB's who can dish out hits too.  If he's gonna recruit "small" RB's I would hope he'd go after more like Worm at least...he plays big at least.

But, at this point, anything is better than what AU's offense has become.

Man I felt really bad for Cooper one time.

I was in class and the instructor was going the role, his name was called and no answer, then she goes is Mr. Cooper here? Lol a student goes God, I hope he isn't still here. Right as the guy walked through the door.

7 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Man I felt really bad for Cooper one time.

I was in class and the instructor was going the role, his name was called and no answer, then she goes is Mr. Cooper here? Lol a student goes God, I hope he isn't still here. Right as the guy walked through the door.

Markeith had his moments as a WR, at least.

I knew Bowden was done when his "big" recruit one year was tiny Demontray Carter and the next we were "excited" to get Nebraska cast-off Michael Burks.

13 hours ago, doc4aday said:

I trust your read on things and know you are often right and not wrong.  Do you think he can get approved & why? I think it would be a great move imho. Do you think we have a reasonable chance ?

This isn't some huge secret anymore. Gus is telling multiple people he is getting Freeze to be the OC next year. Yes I do think the SEC will allow it. Yes, barring some huge bidding war, we can get Freeze. His daughter is a student at AU. Freeze would love to be at AU next year. 

Will Gus let Freeze do his thing? That is the $100 question. 

IMO, Freeze isn't in any position to tell Gus no on anything. Will Gus listen to him? I think Gus will to a extent. Going to be a mix of both guys philosophies. Will that mesh better than what is happening now? Can't answer that. If the OL situation does not get fixed it's not going to matter. This is the worst AU line in the past 20 years. And there isn't any quick fixes for next year. Got to bring in a competent OL coach.  Rb isn't as bad but is a huge problem. 

10 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

That’s kind of the argument that’s been made at one point or another. If Gus brings in Freeze, there’s a pretty good chance Gus will go hands off due to their mutual respect

No way. Gus is never going to be hands off. Especially next year with his job on the line. Have to hope that Gus and Freeze, if Freeze is the guy, can mesh better than Chip & Gus. 

1 minute ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

This isn't some huge secret anymore. Gus is telling multiple people he is getting Freeze to be the OC next year. Yes I do think the SEC will allow it. Yes, barring some huge bidding war, we can get Freeze. His daughter is a student at AU. Freeze would love to be at AU next year. 

Will Gus let Freeze do his thing? That is the $100 question. 

IMO, Freeze isn't in any position to tell Gus no on anything. Will Gus listen to him? I think Gus will to a extent. Going to be a mix of both guys philosophies. Will that mesh better than what is happening now? Can't answer that. If the OL situation does not get fixed it's not going to matter. This is the worst AU line in the past 20 years. And there isn't any quick fixes for next year. Got to bring in a competent OL coach.  Rb isn't as bad but is a huge problem. 

This would be just like reshuffling the deck chairs on the titanic. Next year if Gus stays the inevitable is going to happen and he will get canned. Gus and Freeze go together worse than Chip and Freeze. But like you said it will not matter even if Gus does give him full control and gets TF out of his way because this OL is soooooooooooooooooooo bad and is not going to get any better. This is a multiple year problem that will get worse before it gets better.  This year in crutin we are not doing anything to rectify our problem either when it comes to tackles...... This is all Gus fault by the way and I lay it all at his feet. Year 6 and this ish should not be happening.

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

This would be just like reshuffling the deck chairs on the titanic. Next year if Gus stays the inevitable is going to happen and he will get canned. Gus and Freeze go together worse than Chip and Freeze. But like you said it will not matter even if Gus does give him full control and gets TF out of his way because this OL is soooooooooooooooooooo bad and is not going to get any better. This is a multiple year problem that will get worse before it gets better.  This year in crutin we are not doing anything to rectify our problem either when it comes to tackles...... This is all Gus fault by the way and I lay it all at his feet. Year 6 and this ish should not be happening.

I'm not saying Gus won't let Freeze call the plays. But Gus isn't going to be hands off. Nothing can be worst than Gus and Chip. 

1 minute ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I'm not saying Gus won't let Freeze call the plays. But Gus isn't going to be hands off. Nothing can be worst than Gus and Chip. 

Gus still being the Head Coach next year is worse than Gus and Chip for me personally.

Like others have pointed out, it's more of a matter if Auburn will let Freeze come to Auburn. But even if it's a yes on Auburn's end, and even if Freeze wants to come work here (especially given that his daughter goes to school here), would he want to knowing how controlling Gus is?

Archived