Will SEC allow Freeze to Auburn

provibe

On November 3, 2018 at 10:15 AM, DAG said:

Hopefully AD Greene can change this. The HC should be able to bring any OC in if they don’t have a pending case or some sort of NCAA obligatory sentence.

Does it really matter that much? Do most people on this board  really think Freeze is going to have control if he were to be hired? I for one, just don't think Gus will hand over the O to anybody! Sure Freeze is a better O mind , but that would mean Gus swallowing his pride and  that won't happen. He will have 19 to ruin Nix and sink the program further , but then I believe he is done coaching at this level. 

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Tiger said:

Why is Freeze the answer if he didn't even call plays for Ole Miss when they were good on O? Is that concerning for anyone else? 

I was under the impression he was calling the O for some reason. I like Freeze as the most accomplished guy who could fill the OC spot but I'll admit I'm not overly familiar with Freeze's history other than he was kind of like Gus except instead of fast tracked to OC he kind of worked his way up

Freeze had control over his offense much in the same mold as Gus. Matt Luke was his OC and pretty much took the lead from Freeze. He might have had a bit more latitude though. I think if Freeze is hired, he and Gus will master mind the offense and we will see probably less of Gus than we have since Gus arrived though. I think Freeze will breath some fresh air into the offense. This could be an awesome offense if Gus can give Freeze the latitude needed to be successful. You have to remember that Freeze was a HC and a darn good one. Gus will make sure Freeze tows the line as far as recruiting and being a top notch human being. Saban has been good at resurrecting coaches careers. Kevin Steele is one of them as well as Cristobal, and Locksley. Maybe Gus will return the favor to Hugh. I guess we could call the offense Gusafreeze.

One thing we have to do is to get as many OL tackles on board asap even if this means beating the bushes in the JUCO & grad transfer & transfers from other schools. Not sure if Gus stays with JB. It would not surprise me if he leaves.  It seems like the linemen that played under Hand last season have regressed under JB. I never thought I would say this, but JB has been a big disappointment.

44 minutes ago, Deemer 47 said:

Does it really matter that much? Do most people on this board  really think Freeze is going to have control if he were to be hired? I for one, just don't think Gus will hand over the O to anybody! Sure Freeze is a better O mind , but that would mean Gus swallowing his pride and  that won't happen. He will have 19 to ruin Nix and sink the program further , but then I believe he is done coaching at this level. 

Doesn’t matter to you because you already have your mind made up. 

I think that Freeze could bring more to our offense than at anytime Gus has been here. Freeze did do some bad to OM, but OM will never be a top 10 team with Luke in control. Luke is a decent coach, but does not have what it takes to compete the way OM did under Freeze. Yes, I know Freeze did that program bad and he probably could have achieved what he did if he had done it the right way imho.  His offenses were some of the best in the SEC. He could be one of the OCs that could take control and let Gus get his silly self out of the way.

I am curious to see how we do against UGA. I hope we are air raid 100%. UGA will struggle to contain that air raid offense if we go this route. I think that this is the only way we can beat UGA and maybe on a wing and a prayer beat bammer.

1 hour ago, doc4aday said:

I think that Freeze could bring more to our offense than at anytime Gus has been here. Freeze did do some bad to OM, but OM will never be a top 10 team with Luke in control. Luke is a decent coach, but does not have what it takes to compete the way OM did under Freeze. Yes, I know Freeze did that program bad and he probably could have achieved what he did if he had done it the right way imho.  His offenses were some of the best in the SEC. He could be one of the OCs that could take control and let Gus get his silly self out of the way.

I am curious to see how we do against UGA. I hope we are air raid 100%. UGA will struggle to contain that air raid offense if we go this route. I think that this is the only way we can beat UGA and maybe on a wing and a prayer beat bammer.

Doc, did you watch that uat defense blow up LSU's oline Saturday night?  Get to Joe Burrow and bury him about half a dozen times?  Completely shut down their running attack and force them to try to air it out?  That uat defense decided to get nasty in the bye week, those savages must a got sick of hearing about the superior uat offense & they wanted to prove a point in prime time on national tv for everyone to see.

Regarding UGA game, we'll see real early on how CGM/CCL chose to scheme for a hostile environment in Athens.  The air raid/fast pace offense looked to work in the two-minute drill type situation to beat aTm, but rarely does it work 4 full quarters.  The players aren't trained for it and they just don't have the stamina to hold up to that fast pace when they've never done it in live game action before.  If we operate under a fast pace and it's forced on them, they'll wilt, lose focus and make stupid mistakes that put them in really bad situations.  I would like to see it mixed in though, and hopefully open up some running lanes so the ground game can get confidence and may be even JS can get some serious yards on the ground too.

I think they'll be expecting some level of air raid.  

I'd probably run it for a series or two,  hopefully find some success,  then sprinkle runs out of it to keep them honest.  If you just switch sets and personnel to our normal it'll be obvious.  

Im not a coach idk.

On 11/5/2018 at 1:41 PM, AUforlife22 said:

But let's not forget that we may have a very special OC currently, who is not getting his opportunity. My sole purpose of being on here is to stand up for Lindsey. The statements being made about his failure are completely wrong.

This is true, and we saw what CCL was capable of doing last year.

On 11/7/2018 at 6:35 PM, ToomersRevenge said:

I think they'll be expecting some level of air raid.  

I'd probably run it for a series or two,  hopefully find some success,  then sprinkle runs out of it to keep them honest.  If you just switch sets and personnel to our normal it'll be obvious.  

Im not a coach idk.

I would settle for the passing playbook we used against Washington.

10 minutes ago, meh130 said:

This is true, and we saw what CCL was capable of doing last year.

Last year?...which games ? ..thought all the complaints were that Gus was running the offense...:dunno:  CCL seems to be a good guy but what we did last year was give the ball to KJ. ....time for  a change. 

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Last year?...which games ? ..thought all the complaints were that Gus was running the offense...:dunno:  CCL seems to be a good guy but what we did last year was give the ball to KJ. ....time for  a change. 

The good plays CCL called and the bad plays CGM called. You should know this by now. But tbh , very rarely do we see coordinators make a 5 star meal out of Ramen. One thing that is fairly obvious is the caliber of players tend to make the coordinators. It is what it is, which is why we need to be much better at evaluating and getting the higher end talent .

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

Me at the A&M game:

IMG_1322.jpg

LOL hey hey hey! I need at least 15 cents of that dollar or I'm going to have to order a cease and desist!

I'll lower the fee to 10% because of the flawless execution. ;D

4 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Hilarious man wow 

Is that a tax deductible contribution. ?  Maybe you need a 501c3...could help 

8 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Is that a tax deductible contribution. ?  Maybe you need a 501c3...could help 

In that case I got another 100 I will throw at it 

7 hours ago, Tiger said:

LOL hey hey hey! I need at least 15 cents of that dollar or I'm going to have to order a cease and desist!

I'll lower the fee to 10% because of the flawless execution. ;D

I will admit, you did give me the idea.  :bow:

My original plan was to make a sandwich board sign and wear it, but I simplified it to the bucket.

1 minute ago, AUwent said:

If we hire Hugh Freeze and a new OL coach, how many more years should we give Gus in that case?

That would be up to Gus at this point if I made the decisions. I have a few things understood before game one. Know what your team is capable of and coach to their strengths. Quit looking like your lost, especially against teams that you should beat. He'd have to earn another year. I'm not giving him anything. 

12 hours ago, AUwent said:

If we hire Hugh Freeze and a new OL coach, how many more years should we give Gus in that case?

If the play-calling still consists of mostly dives and bubble screens then we know Gus is still in charge of the O and he should be fired immediately.

If there's plenty of off-tackle, outside runs & intermediate routes using the WHOLE field then we'll probably see success.

Oh, also they should try and recruit some really good O-Linemen & RB's to go with the zillions of WR's they recruit.  I trust HF will do good work with the QB's.  I suspect there's going to be good QB talent.  Just need a QB whisperer...

Regarding Gus's propensity to dictate to OC's decisions, I would have to assume that HF being a former Head Coach would mean that he'd be able to enforce/influence his own philosophy with much more success than his would-be predecessors (Lindsay, Lashlee, etc). If this is the case I believe our offense could be immensely successful with the skill we're bringing in. Of course, OL play/depth will have to improve as well.

Everybody else in the business seems to get passes when they 'resurrect' coaches' careers, why not us. Unfortunately, it is about winning, otherwise we wouldn't be having the conversation. If we can positively influence young men's lives along the way that's great. So Gus if you're reading this, I say hire him 😉

2 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

If the play-calling still consists of mostly dives and bubble screens then we know Gus is still in charge of the O and he should be fired immediately.

If there's plenty of off-tackle, outside runs & intermediate routes using the WHOLE field then we'll probably see success.

Oh, also they should try and recruit some really good O-Linemen & RB's to go with the zillions of WR's they recruit.  I trust HF will do good work with the QB's.  I suspect there's going to be good QB talent.  Just need a QB whisperer...

Like I said, I believe that firing him this year is a fruitless effort if all we can get is Neal Brown.

12 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Like I said, I believe that firing him this year is a fruitless effort if all we can get is Neal Brown.

Personally, I'd be okay with him or Bill Clark.  I've lost faith in Gus.

BUT, with the assumption Greene is to be taken at his word and with the info provided by WDE, I'm assuming Gus will be back so..... HF is at least possible lemonade outta lemons.

48 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Personally, I'd be okay with him or Bill Clark.  I've lost faith in Gus.

BUT, with the assumption Greene is to be taken at his word and with the info provided by WDE, I'm assuming Gus will be back so..... HF is at least possible lemonade outta lemons.

If we could afford him, Venables would be my #1 pick. 

Again, the crop of prospective coaches is naturally due to get better in time.

Archived