Will SEC allow Freeze to Auburn

provibe

4 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

22, I’m with keesler in that the last two drives were not consistent with what Gus has done for the last few years.  My question would be; how did CCL get by Gus’ filter on the sidelines to call those plays?  Seems like everything has been run through Gus before it gets to the field. Did Gus finally acquiesce to allow Chip to call the plays.  JS sure looked enthused during those last two drives. 

I'd guess Gus just threw his hands up and said fine you try it after 55 minutes of banging his head against the wall

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, I_M4_AU said:

22, I’m with keesler in that the last two drives were not consistent with what Gus has done for the last few years.  My question would be; how did CCL get by Gus’ filter on the sidelines to call those plays?  Seems like everything has been run through Gus before it gets to the field. Did Gus finally acquiesce to allow Chip to call the plays.  JS sure looked enthused during those last two drives. 

That is a great question. I am not sure of the details surrounding the reason for late game change in play-calling on offense. But I do know that there was a change in who was calling plays. I don't know for a fact who made the decision, or if someone overruled somebody else, so I want to be clear..

This would be MY best interpretation, certainly not fact: Gus got desperate and was unconfident in his own game plan. He decided he would rely on Chip when there was really nothing to lose right at the end of the game. I don't think that Gus would ever be overruled by a coordinator unless it was his own choice. 

3 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I'd guess Gus just threw his hands up and said fine you try it after 55 minutes of banging his head against the wall

Yeah, but Gus sure did take credit for it.

9 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Maybe ATM really was a must-win game for Gus, so he finally let go. 

The big plays came on underneath crossing routes to R.Davis and 2 fade routes to the end zone. 

2 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Yeah, but Gus sure did take credit for it.

What did he say??? I missed the post-game pressers.

5 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

Maybe ATM really was a must-win game for Gus, so he finally let go. 

The big plays came on underneath crossing routes to R.Davis and 2 fade routes to the end zone. 

We've probably run the underneath cross to Davis between 5 and 8 times all year. Unbelievable that coach wouldn't utilize this exact play more often after the success with this same play in 2017.

Everyone saying that it doesn't matter if we hire a new OC because Gus will just run his own offense needs to realize that after this season, Gus will probably not have that liberty anymore. I fully anticipate that Gus is told how the offense is going to be transitioned to a coordinator, and that will be that. Imagine if he just got out of his own way, we'd be a 10 win team each year with Steele running the defense. 

21 minutes ago, Tiger said:

What did he say??? I missed the post-game pressers.

Nothing specific, just the typical Gus speak.  As usual he didn’t praise his staff, it was all about the players making plays which is true, no argument there.  Just seemed disingenuous to not praise the playcalling for the last two series as if he was the one calling the plays. I know, my bias is showing.

21 minutes ago, AUforlife22 said:

We've probably run the underneath cross to Davis between 5 and 8 times all year. Unbelievable that coach wouldn't utilize this exact play more often after the success with this same play in 2017.

That combined with the 2-minute HUNH we ran during the last 5 minutes saved us. I hope we play exactly like that against UGA.

19 minutes ago, AUforlife22 said:

In your opinion, after the LSU loss last year it seemed that Gus got more aggressive and broke tendencies all the way up until the SECCG.  Did we see more of CCL’s offense during that stretch?  And if so, what happened for the last two games last year and all of this season?

36 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

Lets say we lose to UGA 42-17 and 45-17 to the turds do you think that this will be enough evidence to evict Gus from Auburn?  My next question is who do you want as the new HC?

What is your take on Jeff Brohm &  Matt Campbell

There was already enough evidence to evict Gus but I don't think it matters at this point I think loses in both of those games have been factored in. Gus will be back with a new OC. CL may be a great OC but just as I can't let Gus off the hook for the Off. performance this year I can't totally let the OC off the hook either. Our Oline stinks now you can blame all of that on the Oline coach or Gus if you want but the OC bares some blame as well. You can't really blame Gus for everything that goes bad but not give him credit when something good happens (although I know most will). I think Freeze will be the OC next year and we will be better not because of Gus but because Freezes style is closer to what Gus wants. the problem for Gus is that I am not sure how long Freeze will say I do believe if we can somehow get some Oline help we have the talent to be good next year. That is if Gus lets go like I think he will be forced to. I will say on the other hand if they meet with Gus and for some reason they get the feeling he is not willing to let the Off. go more that they could just let him go at that point. We have talent Gus just needs to get out of the way of it.

1 hour ago, AUforlife22 said:

I'm sorry, but there is no benefit to disclosing this. Only negativity for the party

^^ 

I think people on this board sometimes forget that at the end of the day, the players and coaches are normal, regular people who just happen to be on national television every Saturday. They have friends, families, classmates, etc. who might be on here or know people who are on here. And if the source to "inside info" isn't someone on the team (player or coach), then it's probably someone with connections to insider info at Auburn Athletics.

2 hours ago, keesler said:

WOW!  That's certainly NOT what has been reported on this board.  If you are correct, then Chip Lindsey damn sure ain't the problem

He’s not the problem, neither was Lashlee. They were familiar face, yes men though. I said this when we hired him and nobody liked it. When the pitchfork and torches mob demands a casualty, CCL will be the guy. I really don’t get why firings have to happen for no reason other than appeasing the masses. But it’s demanded nevertheless.

With that said, I’m reading backwards and have yet to figure out what was disclosed. 😁

3 hours ago, AUforlife22 said:

Also full disclosure, Chip Lindsey only called the last two possessions of that football game Saturday...seems fine to me. I think we all know what's going on with this offensive playcalling....

This counters against every insider that says Chip calls the plays but from Gus’s approved playbook, but okay.

43 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

In your opinion, after the LSU loss last year it seemed that Gus got more aggressive and broke tendencies all the way up until the SECCG.  Did we see more of CCL’s offense during that stretch?  And if so, what happened for the last two games last year and all of this season?

Another excellent question. I really wish that I knew more of the facts behind this, but I don't. One thing I know for a fact: LSU halftime 2017. Gus was adamant about just taking care of the ball, really playing conservative offensively. I prefer to believe that this decision was the ultimate downfall of that game. Everyone was clearly out of sync in that second half on offense. After that, I can't say that I have any facts about who called plays down the stretch. But considering that our offense looked completely rejuvenated after the LSU loss, my guess would be that Lindsey was calling those games. The improvement we showed on offense during 2017 seems nearly unprecedented. 

The most burning question IMO: Did Lindsey really call the first half against LSU 2017 (which looked great), only to have GM take over play-calling in the second half? I think the answer to this would tell us a whole lot about the dynamic b/t GM and Lindsey...

2 minutes ago, AUforlife22 said:

Did Lindsey really call the first half against LSU 2017 (which looked great), only to have GM take over play-calling in the second half? 

Why would he do that? 

2 hours ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

Everyone saying that it doesn't matter if we hire a new OC because Gus will just run his own offense needs to realize that after this season, Gus will probably not have that liberty anymore. I fully anticipate that Gus is told how the offense is going to be transitioned to a coordinator, and that will be that. Imagine if he just got out of his own way, we'd be a 10 win team each year with Steele running the defense. 

Yeah wellllll, supposedly this ^^^^^ exact thing was supposed to have happened 2 yrs ago when he was forced to can Lashley and hire a new OC.  Supposedly he was told that he had to relinquish the controls of the offense and let Lindsey run this thing.  Least we forget that Gus was "coaching for his job" back in 2016 too and he had to be told to make a change at OC.  We were told on this very board by some insiders that Gus was dictated to and told that he had to pull himself away from the offense.  Now see where we are today?

Gus flip flopped a time or two in the process with "I'm going to take a CEO role, step back & let the OC do his job"....only to turn his ass around a few months later when the ish hit the fan and say "I'm a coach at my core and I'm going to get more involved in the game-planning and play-calling because that's where I feel most comfortable."   

Honestly, I've had my fill of the CGM experiment.  At the same time, I understand the financial repercussions and the uncertainty of starting over - Auburn may do better with a new crew and it may do worse.   

3 hours ago, doc4aday said:

what if Freeze wants let's say 1.5 million. Do we pass or do we pay him for what he wants? Does he have Sexton as his agent?

Freeze would be stupid to ask for this much if he does not have any better offers than AU. 

15 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Freeze would be stupid to ask for this much if he does not have any better offers than AU. 

Is Baby Briles not a option? Rather have him than Freeze at this point. But either if left alone are a great hire. Even if it is for a lame duck coach.

As long as Gus Malzahn is Auburn's head coach, it makes no differents who else is on the offensive staff. Malzahn will NEVER give up full control of the offense. When Gus first hired Chip, he told the media and the Auburn that he was giving Chip 100% full control of the the offense. However, we all knew that was nothing more than another one of Ma zahn's lies.

My top choice to replace Malzahn would be James Franklin as Heach Coach and either Lane Kiffin, Hugh Freeze or Mario Cristobal to be our OC/QB coach.

37 minutes ago, keesler said:

Yeah wellllll, supposedly this ^^^^^ exact thing was supposed to have happened 2 yrs ago when he was forced to can Lashley and hire a new OC.  Supposedly he was told that he had to relinquish the controls of the offense and let Lindsey run this thing.  Least we forget that Gus was "coaching for his job" back in 2016 too and he had to be told to make a change at OC.  We were told on this very board by some insiders that Gus was dictated to and told that he had to pull himself away from the offense.  Now see where we are today?

Gus flip flopped a time or two in the process with "I'm going to take a CEO role, step back & let the OC do his job"....only to turn his ass around a few months later when the ish hit the fan and say "I'm a coach at my core and I'm going to get more involved in the game-planning and play-calling because that's where I feel most comfortable."   

Honestly, I've had my fill of the CGM experiment.  At the same time, I understand the financial repercussions and the uncertainty of starting over - Auburn may do better with a new crew and it may do worse.   

This is EXACTLY right! 

Archived