Worst offensive Line I have ever seen

The Defiant

4 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Is it a coaches responsibility to know his personnel well enough to know a 50%, 60% or 70% JW is not as effective as a 100% Shivers?  Can a coach hold a player out if that coach believes the player may be endangering his health even though the medical staff ok’s the player to play?  Is it the medical staff’s responsibility to manage the roster or is it the coach’s responsibility?  

Your statement sounds like a coach takes no responsibility about hurt players, when he should be the one making decision.  It’s the coaches responsibility to get the best player on the field to win the game, which includes evaluating the players that are hurt.

The team has a medical staff for a reason so that coaches won’t abuse injured players.  It’s the medical staffs responsibility to make those calls.  

If they are cleared then it’s on to the coaches as to how much they play. 

I know this isn’t the popular opinion, but I actually think we have enough “raw talent” on campus right now to have a decent to pretty good OL.  Our guys are big and strong enough.  The two things they are missing IMHO are confidence and “that mean streak”.  When an OL lacks confidence, they are apprehensive.  That second guessing for a split second is all it takes to get beat in the trenches.  Also, when you have confidence, you can focus on beating your man!   It all comes back to coaching!  Our offensive coaches are a joke!  JBG retired a few years ago.  Our OL isn’t getting the coaching they need.   If you combine this with the most predictable play calling in the history of CF, you are putting your apprehensive OL in a position to fail, further ingraining their lack of confidence.  With better positional coaching combined with better play calling, this OL could be pretty good next year.  Unfortunately, I don’t see that happening until most of these players are gone.  😰

13 hours ago, corchjay said:

If they are cleared then it’s on to the coaches as to how much they play

And this statement is what some are concerned about.  In the past, it was obvious that a player was not 100% and played anyway.  This causes speculation as to Gus’ monitoring of his players while they play.  If you want an example; Kam Pettway in 2017 in the Mercer game, 34 carries on a bum ankle, fumbled at least two times while Kmart, MM and Barrett were available.

I know it’s speculation as we, as fans, don’t know the particulars, but the it feeds the narrative that Gus runs his RBs (or any other position) into the ground.

14 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

And this statement is what some are concerned about.  In the past, it was obvious that a player was not 100% and played anyway.  This causes speculation as to Gus’ monitoring of his players while they play.  If you want an example; Kam Pettway in 2017 in the Mercer game, 34 carries on a bum ankle, fumbled at least two times while Kmart, MM and Barrett were available.

I know it’s speculation as we, as fans, don’t know the particulars, but the it feeds the narrative that Gus runs his RBs (or any other position) into the ground.

Good grief football players get hurt.  Many play through pain.  Hurt and pain don’t mean injured.  

1 minute ago, corchjay said:

Good grief football players get hurt.  Many play through pain.  Hurt and pain don’t mean injured.  

Keep pushing that narrative and always support your alter ego, Gus.  As to the bolded part, are you serious? What does pain mean in a football player?  Is it different than any other person?  I’m not talking no pain no gain here, I’m talking pain from an “injury” (by the way, when the refs call a time out for a player that is in pain, they call it an INJURY time out).  

You’re alway talking in generalities while I argue some specifics.  You can’t always just go with your generalities when taking about an individual.  How do you coach?

1 minute ago, I_M4_AU said:

Keep pushing that narrative and always support your alter ego, Gus.  As to the bolded part, are you serious? What does pain mean in a football player?  Is it different than any other person?  I’m not talking no pain no gain here, I’m talking pain from an “injury” (by the way, when the refs call a time out for a player that is in pain, they call it an INJURY time out).  

You’re alway talking in generalities while I argue some specifics.  You can’t always just go with your generalities when taking about an individual.  How do you coach?

Marlon Davidson player with an arm brace all of last year... clearly an injury... right should he not have played?  Deesn this year broken fingers should he not play?  

Tua limping around with a knee brace should he play? 

Players get hurt regardless of how many snaps they play.  

And heck yes there is a huge difference in pain and injury.  After every game I ever played I was in pain but I wasn’t injured 

5 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Marlon Davidson player with an arm brace all of last year... clearly an injury... right should he not have played?  Deesn this year broken fingers should he not play?  

Tua limping around with a knee brace should he play? 

Players get hurt regardless of how many snaps they play.  

And heck yes there is a huge difference in pain and injury.  After every game I ever played I was in pain but I wasn’t injured 

Again with the generalities with Marlon.  Being a DL he is rotated out and his risk on further injury was mitigated with the brace.  Gus is reluctant to rotate the RBs (I know hot hand and all)

The Tua thing is interesting as Gus did the same thing with SW in the 2015 UGA game.  Tua scored his rushing TD and I don’t think he played after that.  Gus on the other hand played SW three series in the aforementioned game, it was obvious that SW should not have been on the field. He didn’t play again that year until the bowl game and still wasn’t 100%.

Agreed.  However, the more the body is stressed the more likely it will break down.  Too bad we can’t predict that.

Good for you.  You’re a hero.  When you were 18 - 22 years old did you really understand the difference in the kind of pain you can play through and the pain you can’t?  Or did the coach have more influence?

We won’t agree on this I know, I’m just giving you something to think about.  The injury/hurt debate will rage on and it will always be a coaches opinion as to who should play, but it’s not black and white.  The coach is rolling the dice with a hurt (or any player for that matter) player when he plays. It just seems with available backups, a time to heal is appropriate.

7 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Again with the generalities with Marlon.  Being a DL he is rotated out and his risk on further injury was mitigated with the brace.  Gus is reluctant to rotate the RBs (I know hot hand and all)

The Tua thing is interesting as Gus did the same thing with SW in the 2015 UGA game.  Tua scored his rushing TD and I don’t think he played after that.  Gus on the other hand played SW three series in the aforementioned game, it was obvious that SW should not have been on the field. He didn’t play again that year until the bowl game and still wasn’t 100%.

Agreed.  However, the more the body is stressed the more likely it will break down.  Too bad we can’t predict that.

Good for you.  You’re a hero.  When you were 18 - 22 years old did you really understand the difference in the kind of pain you can play through and the pain you can’t?  Or did the coach have more influence?

We won’t agree on this I know, I’m just giving you something to think about.  The injury/hurt debate will rage on and it will always be a coaches opinion as to who should play, but it’s not black and white.  The coach is rolling the dice with a hurt (or any player for that matter) player when he plays. It just seems with available backups, a time to heal is appropriate.

1 play 100 plays it doesn’t matter. All it takes is one wrong step, one wrong move, one hit to get injured.    The OL doesn’t rotate.  Have been playing “banged up” all year.  Should they be rotating.  This is a silly argument.  

Im no hero of any sort because after I played I was in pain for a couple days.  Bruises all over me.  Eye gouging in the pile.  If you are injured you shouldn’t play and the medical staff want let you if further injury can occur.  

If the players are cleared to play, then you play the players you think give you the best shot to win. There are plenty of reasons to dislike Gus without needing to make up an issue

Archived