Texas A&M Game Report Card

StatTiger

Stat, thanks for your analysis.  Your two weekly analysis posts and JMR's weekly post are the best posts in the football forum that make it worth coming to read. War Eagle!

• Like 2

Glad the stats reflect how unparalled this W was. Ive seen some great Auburn comebacks but not when one team is just clearly humming and unstoppable and we're just blowing hot air. The elation I had at the end of that one was the most Ive felt since 2017 UGA tbh

Exciting finish but after 53 mins of the worst football I have ever seen i was over it.   I am proud of the guys not quitting as they did the last year of Chizik but it felt like the d was not putting in the effort the way A&M was controlling us.

I applaud the coaches for inserting  the true  freshman if the older guys are not getting it done.  C Miller looked good.   Just need o-line and RB.   

Edited by lala
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, lala said:

Exciting finish but after 53 mins of the worst football I have ever seen i was over it.   I am proud of the guys not quitting as they did the last year of Chizik but it felt like the d was not putting in the effort the way A&M was controlling us.

I applaud the coaches for inserting  the true  freshman if the older guys are not getting it done.  C Miller looked good.   Just need o-line and RB.   

It wasn’t the worst 53 minutes of football. That was 2015 UGA. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Wow...passed on offense....will take some time to study the explanation but expect it was the last 5 minutes that got us over the hump.

But as they say...it's a 60 minute game and our offense remembered that and took full advantage of that INT. 

Hard to believe they won that game as bad as it looked for 3 1/2 quarters but you have to be proud of them for not quitting.  They made the plays when it counted!

• RunInRed pinned and featured this topic

I realize a win is a win, but when you only have 19 yards rushing and you have to throw all the time, 8 out of 10 times your gonna get killed. It was a HUGE win for our Tigers and I send my out my congrats to them. We batter enjoy this because we might only one more during these next three weeks.

2 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

So, what was the change that made the O Click so much better in the final 8 minutes?

Anyone?

I think we reached a point in the game even Malzahn felt, "what the heck" and cut the passing game loose. Kind of like the UCF game last year, when AU just let it rip everywhere on the field. Gus is normally conservative when it comes to the passing game and likely felt there was nothing to lose when the fourth quarter began, trailing by 13.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

You bring in a guy like Chip, known for letting the QB sling it.  When we finally left him do it, it seems to work. 

• Like 1

After 24 hours to reflect and with no stats to back up my assertion, I believe Gus Orgeroned Fisher. Orgeroned being defined as steeling momentum at the end of a game leaving your opponent with no time left to react.

Gus seems overly concerned about tricking the D, rather than attacking the D. When we had to go on the attack, we fared much better. 

I never cared for Lane Kiffin, but the one thing he did well was stress out the D and make them worry about all parts of the field. 

• Like 1

On 11/4/2018 at 10:00 AM, StatTiger said:

I think we reached a point in the game even Malzahn felt, "what the heck" and cut the passing game loose. Kind of like the UCF game last year, when AU just let it rip everywhere on the field. Gus is normally conservative when it comes to the passing game and likely felt there was nothing to lose when the fourth quarter began, trailing by 13.

I think we only trailed by 10. But we went 3-5 wide. No play action. This may  be the first time I ever remember Gus not faking handoffs for two straight series. We finally accepted that we can’t run the ball. Jarrett looked totally different. Which is puzzling. He supposedly had more options. He got the ball out quickly, accurately and to the right person. This is what puzzles me. He makes worse decisions when he has less options, I guess? 

Anyway, I like what I saw. Just start where we left off. If we beat uga and I mean keep the offense clicking then compete with the turds.... I’ll fire Gus myself. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, alexava said:

I think we only trailed by 10. But we went 3-5 wide. No play action. This may  be the first time I ever remember Gus not faking handoffs for two straight series. We finally accepted that we can’t run the ball. Jarrett looked totally different. Which is puzzling. He supposedly had more options. He got the ball out quickly, accurately and to the right person. This is what puzzles me. He makes worse decisions when he has less options, I guess? 

Anyway, I like what I saw. Just start where we left off. If we beat uga and I mean keep the offense clicking then compete with the turds.... I’ll fire Gus myself. 

When your "less" options are covered and the coach/play-call doesn't give you "more" options to choose from, I guess it stands to reason it would be harder to play QB.

I suspect Stids is a dang fine QB and probably quite bright. He's been underdeveloped, and hamstrung in this offense.  Interested to see if any real lessons were learned from the last 5 mins of the aTm game going into this week.

I doubt it, but we'll see....

Edited by AUsince72
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

When your "less" options are covered and the coach/play-call doesn't give you "more" options to choose from, I guess it stands to reason it would be harder to play QB.

I suspect Stids is a dang fine QB and probably quite bright. He's been underdeveloped, and hamstrung in this offense.  Interested to see if any real lessons were learned from the last 5 mins of the aTm game going into this week.

I doubt it, but we'll see....

We have seen him take sacks with open receivers jumping up and down right in front of him. We have seen him throw into coverage when he had better options. He has several nice designed runs but few if any ad lib scrambles. No coaching good or bad encourages this. I think it’s the internal clock. If he has no more than two quick reads and one is open it’s good. Which is why that should be or should have been the game plan all along. I think it will be Saturday. Recognizing your players strength and weakness is a very big part of coaching. Why I said I’ll fire him myself if an adjusted game plan is wildly successful.