19 yards of Rushing

shabby

yep. 19 yards. This is pretty much the essence of our offensive woes. 19 yards. I can't fault Gus for trying to run. However there came a point where it became evident that Auburn was going to have to give up on the Run. I have no clue where the problem with this lies. To have such a stellar Run game last year to now be where we're at. Is it the running backs. Play calling? Is it the offensive line? A mixture of all of the above. how do we fix this? Only thing I can think of there's more tempo and quit passes in the middle to open up the Run game. Less predictable play calling. It seemed Texas A&M new every time we were going to run it. Like there was an electric billboard behind Stidham that said this is a running play

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, shabby said:

yep. 19 yards. This is pretty much the essence of our offensive woes. 19 yards. I can't fault Gus for trying to run. However there came a point where it became evident that Auburn was going to have to give up on the Run. I have no clue where the problem with this lies. To have such a stellar Run game last year to now be where we're at. Is it the running backs. Play calling? Is it the offensive line? A mixture of all of the above. how do we fix this? Only thing I can think of there's more tempo and quit passes in the middle to open up the Run game. Less predictable play calling. It seemed Texas A&M new every time we were going to run it. Like there was an electric billboard behind Stidham that said this is a running play

Lots of good questions....but wondering if we had injuries or what.....or maybe coaches just wrote off the running game. l Seems that about half (or more) of our "runs" were attempts at sweeps ….with only a handful of runs between the tackles…..made a first down on one and scored a TD on one of them ...but not many more.  

When we had 2nd down and 2 backed up inside our ten and tried two passes to make the first down, you know the coaches had no faith in the OL....not willing to give Boobee or someone two shots at making two yards in two plays.   The passes were not even close and we ended up punting 

I found this interesting as well (concerning the two passes with 2 yds to go). When Malik was in the game for 1 play, their defense was lost. Why not revisit this? 

1 minute ago, doug3020 said:

I found this interesting as well (concerning the two passes with 2 yds to go). When Malik was in the game for 1 play, their defense was lost. Why not revisit this? 

I don’t understand why we don’t try one series of nothing but Willis running zone read and see what happens. If nothing else just to catch the D off guard 

Just now, OnthePlains said:

I don’t understand why we don’t try one series of nothing but Willis running zone read and see what happens. If nothing else just to catch the D off guard 

I’ll help. Don’t use common sense when trying to figure out our play calling. It only leads to anger followed by relatively large amounts of alcohol. 

2 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

this is only effective if gus allows Willis to throw the ball. not sure why but it always seems designed runs with willis. too predictable

Boobie is barley 85% but damn we should have played Asa a little. Oh well..... into Athens we go. 

The analysis showing how our center and guards are not getting off quick enough is a good place to start. They are not getting to the second level fast enough and are not getting their body on a body...just missing assignments. And the centers are just being dominated at the point of attack.

26 minutes ago, doug3020 said:

because we have a savant for a coach and he is just smarter than that:rollin:

34 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Lots of good questions....but wondering if we had injuries or what.....or maybe coaches just wrote off the running game. l Seems that about half (or more) of our "runs" were attempts at sweeps ….with only a handful of runs between the tackles…..made a first down on one and scored a TD on one of them ...but not many more.  

When we had 2nd down and 2 backed up inside our ten and tried two passes to make the first down, you know the coaches had no faith in the OL....not willing to give Boobee or someone two shots at making two yards in two plays.   The passes were not even close and we ended up punting 

Qb draw or scramble would have extended the drive. But it would have changed the whole outcome so I’m glad we just tanked in hindsight. We do need to go to a pass first philosophy for the foreseeable future. 

2 hours ago, OnthePlains said:

What the worst that could happen?  A 3 and out?  What's another 3 and out to Gus's O?

Not trying to ease the pain of the pitiful 19 yards rushing but; Tenn. only had 20 yards rushing against Charlotte in their 14-3 win...That stings just knowing that UT came into Jordan-Hare and got a win! smh

4 minutes ago, cctiger said:

Not trying to ease the pain of the pitiful 19 yards rushing but; Tenn. only had 20 yards rushing against Charlotte in their 14-3 win...That stings just knowing that UT came into Jordan-Hare and got a win! smh

I think Gus had a secret handshake agreement with Phil Fulmer that we would let them win an SEC game so their fans would start believing in UT again. Its the only scenario behind that loss that makes any sense.

6 minutes ago, cctiger said:

Ouch 

26 minutes ago, cctiger said:

Not sure if that eases the pain or worsens it.

6th time this season we haven’t had a 100 yard rusher.

Not doing the sunshine pumping thing but maybe since no championship in sight for this year why not continue to try to run the ball so the OL will get better at it.  

Why change your offensive philosophy for 3-4 games when it won’t be that way next year.  

As bad as the offense has been the players hearts and coaching close has had the team in position to win every game.  Only exception is was MSU late in the game and we failed at so many big plays in that game other then getting gashed by the run we probably win that game if we hit 2 of the big plays that were easy.  

Now I would the next 3 games use tempo.  Just go fast.  Regardless of alignment just run the play but go fast every play every possession.  We are going to be big underdogs in 2 of the 3 so don’t get away from your offense but try tempo.  

I agree try Malik a possession each half if we aren’t moving it consistently.  See what happens.  When he comes in the defense will probably go to zone so run some zone beater pass plays.

just some thoughts without ditching the playbook

8 minutes ago, corchjay said:

How would we feel if it was as only 12... 1-2 yards rushing.  Bama/LSU tonight, LSU had 12 yards rushing

LSU was also playing the #1 team in the country. If 19 yards rushing is all we can muster against the #25 ranked team in the country today, I hate to think about what we may be facing against the #1 ranked team when we play them.

16 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

LSU was also playing the #1 team in the country. If 19 yards rushing is all we can muster against the #25 ranked team in the country today, I hate to think about what we may be facing against the #1 ranked team when we play them.

Actually outside of pollster ranking... aTm rush defense is actually better then bama’s statistically 

19 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

aTm had the top ranked rush defense in the SEC coming into this game.  They left the same way.

Having two guys who should be rushing dynamos in Gatewood and Willis not get any situational touches is a good summary of Gus's creativity with his specialty. The rushing offense was better in 2016, but it could've been great if they occasionally threw JF3 out there to not just hand it off and look cool, but keep it (or by god, actually read the defense via a real read option).

How stupid does Gus thinks his QBs are to where they cant throw and cant be allowed to make the read themselves???

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

How would we feel if it was as only 12... 1-2 yards rushing.  Bama/LSU tonight, LSU had 12 yards rushing

Yes has they had zero points to show for it. So how do you think we would feel? 

32 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yes has they had zero points to show for it. So how do you think we would feel? 

I'm going with this, but I just accept this is Auburn normal now

AmbitiousWelldocumentedButterfly-size_restricted.gif

Archived