One game doesn't fix it

AuCivilEng1

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/texas-a-m-at-auburn-score-escape-by-the-tigers-was-nice-but-is-only-temporary-relief-for-gus-malzahn/amp/

copy and paste article when making these threads please

Auburn rallied to top No. 20 Texas A&M 28-24 Saturday at Jordan-Hare Stadium to qualify for a bowl with three games remaining. Quarterback Jarrett Stidham found Seth Williams in the corner of the end zone with 1:41 remaining to cap a comeback that erased a 10-point deficit in the fourth quarter and sent Tiger fans home happy. 

But don't be fooled by the temporary injection of adrenaline, Auburn fans. It's only temporary feeling to a long-term problem that starts and ends with coach Gus Malzahn. 

Malzahn is supposed to be an offensive guru that uses a power rushing attack out of spread formations that thrives with tempo. Yet, the Tigers (6-3, 3-3 SEC) managed just 19 rushing yards on the afternoon against the Aggies. Granted, Texas A&M (5-4, 3-3) came in with the best rushing defense in the SEC. But that's not supposed to matter to Malzahn -- who has produced 15 players who have topped the 1,000-yard mark on the ground in 13 years as a college head or assistant coach. Auburn's previous offenses have run over, around and through even the best defenses. See: Alabama in 2013. This one repeatedly runs into a brick wall.

One of those players was Peyton Barber, who did it  in 2015 despite the Tigers having a passing game under quarterback Jeremy Johnson that was a disaster. JaTarvious "Boobie" Whitlow has 642 this year, with games against Georgia, Liberty and Alabama remaining on the schedule. Even if he does the improbable and goes off against two national championship contenders, this isn't the offense Malzahn was hired to run. The offensive line has been a problem since the season-opener vs. Washington, the running game is as excruciating as a root canal to watch and Stidham is as unstable in the pocket as a the patience for football prowess on The Plains.

All of that falls on Malzahn. He's the one who recruited and failed to develop the offensive line. He's the one who isn't creative enough to try something different with the offense. He's the one who hasn't given more flexibility to Stidham to audible at the line of scrimmage -- despite saying he would all offseason.

Since taking Auburn to the BCS Championship Game following the 2013 season and falling 13 seconds short of a title, he is 21-17 in SEC play. That's indicative of an average coach who has had a couple of moments. Nothing more, nothing less. 

There is a sure-fire win against Liberty on Auburn's schedule, but the other two games -- Georgia and Alabama -- are almost certainly losses. The Tigers are staring 7-5 straight in the face in a season in which they were coming off an SEC West title, and supposed to be Alabama's primary threat in the division.

That's not what this team is supposed to be. That's not what Malzahn was hired, or given a contract extension in the offseason, to do. With a seven-year, $49 million salary, there's no such thing as a rebuilding year for Malzahn. The Tigers are supposed to be, at the very least, in contention for the division title every November. 

All Saturday's win did was take the Tigers out of contention for the Birmingham Bowl.

Maybe. 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boom!   Home run - "just an average coach with some high and lows."   The biggest crime is taking 6 consecutive top 10 classes and underperforming with them (or not recruiting the right mix by position).    

We are 2-4 yrs away from fixing our OL problems people.  This is truth.

9 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Boom!   Home run - "just an average coach with some high and lows."   The biggest crime is taking 6 consecutive top 10 classes and underperforming with them (or not recruiting the right mix by position).    

Unfortunately next year could be much worse . This line is so under developed. Barrett dropped the truth bomb . Gus is an avg coach and that’s unfortunately all he may be 

It is a damn shame we could annihilate a premier A&M defense for two drives but couldnt do it a whole game or against a horrendous UT team or against Miss St, just cause we deject pace, force the running game and dont formationally cater to our QB

56 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Unfortunately next year could be much worse . This line is so under developed. Barrett dropped the truth bomb . Gus is an avg coach and that’s unfortunately all he may be 

Don't tell that to the sunshine pumpers. They will accuse you of being fundamentally wrong but will offer no defense for their position,

17 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

Don't tell that to the sunshine pumpers. They will accuse you of being fundamentally wrong but will offer no defense for their position,

Or accuse you of pulling against the players.

32 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

It is a damn shame we could annihilate a premier A&M defense for two drives but couldnt do it a whole game or against a horrendous UT team or against Miss St, just cause we deject pace, force the running game and dont formationally cater to our QB

That Tennessee loss was a team loss and not all on the offense. Their were blown coverages, pass interference calls and the fact their receivers dominated our CB’s in man coverage. A lot of missed plays against MSU...Boobies fumble and JS missing Slayton on a sure TD possibly change the outcome of the game in Auburn’s favor. I just don’t know want to think or how to feel about Gus and this season. I see the youth and inexperience in some key areas and I also see a need to be more pass oriented since the run game is so challenged....I also know when this offense is going and executed at high level it’s great to watch...but when it’s out of tune it stinks big time.

20 minutes ago, 1auburn1 said:

Everybody plays with youth and inexperience.   Jus’ sayin’

This has been the sunshine pumpers mantra whenever Gus fails...oh its a youth problem, its an injury problem, its a coordinator problem, its a QB problem....its never a Gus problem.

8 hours ago, OnthePlains said:

This has been the sunshine pumpers mantra whenever Gus fails...oh its a youth problem, its an injury problem, its a coordinator problem, its a QB problem....its never a Gus problem.

Truth is those are all Gus problems, even some of the injuries. Overplayed KJ and wore him down and played an injured SW. I know that a lot of guys play dinged up but there was more involved with these two than that. Gus has to own everything that is wrong with the team this year. He's blessed he has a team full of heart. They gave him all they had today. 

He may actually believe all that - it is not a stretch or anything. But I believe it is more likely that this column was almost completely done before AU made that run in the last five minutes. Instead of taking a look at what happened as a whole and then writing about it, he took his “Gus is bad and AU will be 6-6” column and converted it to a “yeah, well, Gus is still bad and AU will be 7-5” column.

3 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

That Tennessee loss was a team loss and not all on the offense. Their were blown coverages, pass interference calls and the fact their receivers dominated our CB’s in man coverage. A lot of missed plays against MSU...Boobies fumble and JS missing Slayton on a sure TD possibly change the outcome of the game in Auburn’s favor. I just don’t know want to think or how to feel about Gus and this season. I see the youth and inexperience in some key areas and I also see a need to be more pass oriented since the run game is so challenged....I also know when this offense is going and executed at high level it’s great to watch...but when it’s out of tune it stinks big time.

Yeah we were all around bad on UT but only being able to put up 17, regardless of some missed opportunities, is a really bad look imo. I guess im thinking of a model offense and not our offense in reality that seems to be capped at 30 or less against good teams tho. With that margin in mind, we can only afford to give up 4 TDs to the two offensive magnates we have left on the schedule (unless we plan on playing offense for more than a quarter)

I think the phrase “brutal honesty” is starting to mean “obnoxious statement backed up by slanted facts and half truths.” Sallee is completely full of 💩.

10 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

when it’s out of tune it stinks big time.

You can't tune-up and old guitar when the strings are bad. That's what we have with Gus.

I guess you can argue the material of the article, I don't know how but I've seen people be blind to worse.....but there's no arguing the title of this at all. One game doesn't fix this. And if we are honest this game we were trash, it should say two drives doesn't fix this

9 hours ago, OnthePlains said:

The youth and inexperience has not been the primary reason for the losses. Like I said in every loss, there have been critical mistakes made by the upperclassmen. I mean throws Stidham hit last year he has completely missed. Many of those he was not under pressure at all. Slayton and Davis dropping passes. When you have a team that is raw and young in some spots like Auburn you need your seniors and upperclassmen to bridge the gap and make plays while the kids grow up. This ain’t no damn sunshine pumping, the upperclassmen have missed plays that could have changed the outcome of every loss this season. I will support whatever decision is made by Greene and support Auburn no matter who roams the sidelines. Bottom line if Gus does not win enough games he will be gone regardless of whining or sunshine pumping.

Stidham didn't hardly go live this summer....as if he's really that good that he's a finished product.....if I'm not mistaken that's what he did with jj as well the summer before he was the starter....not smart.

Bragging and boasting about your QB knows your offense back and forth and he can't make reads and on top of that apparently you haven't been giving him plays with multiple options for different situations....that's not smart. 

Knowing that you can't run but still centering your offense around it.....that's not smart. Everybody knows what plays we run? If you've been to a game lately you know....people easily call out plays. We have to do something different

12 hours ago, Beaker said:

you do not believe we can get some quality depth or even starters in junior college?

5 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

The youth and inexperience has not been the primary reason for the losses. Like I said in every loss, there have been critical mistakes made by the upperclassmen. I mean throws Stidham hit last year he has completely missed. Many of those he was not under pressure at all. Slayton and Davis dropping passes. When you have a team that is raw and young in some spots like Auburn you need your seniors and upperclassmen to bridge the gap and make plays while the kids grow up. This ain’t no damn sunshine pumping, the upperclassmen have missed plays that could have changed the outcome of every loss this season. I will support whatever decision is made by Greene and support Auburn no matter who roams the sidelines. Bottom line if Gus does not win enough games he will be gone regardless of whining or sunshine pumping.

👏👊. Thank you very much. Negativity tends hide obvious solutions. Execution is the name of the game and yes that falls on CGM. It also falls on the OC, position coach and the players. War Eagle on a great win. I'm going to enjoy this and look forward to GA next week 

Archived