One game doesn't fix it

AuCivilEng1

2 minutes ago, tbone4jc said:

👏👊. Thank you very much. Negativity tends hide obvious solutions. Execution is the name of the game and yes that falls on CGM. It also falls on the OC, position coach and the players. War Eagle on a great win. I'm going to enjoy this and look forward to GA next week 

Yeah! Damn straight! Boom! Yes! Thats what I’m a talkin about! Woooooo! 6-3 baby! We comin! And I know uga is scared! You preach it brotha man! 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He is only stating the truth. Our biggest problem is we have a large portion of our fan base OK with 8 win seasons and mediocrity. Excuses and explaining away issues are        constant on this board. We don't have to give up the creed to consistently be in the hunt for the SECC and NC. It all starts with program expectations and our fan base is split. I can't find any successful HC in the past or currently that consistently had/has issues on his side of the ball. I don't think any on the o-staff could find employment with another power 5 program. Burns has come on strong in recruiting and under the right HC could be taught how to develop the talent he signs. That said, the excuses for Gus have got to stop. I like him as a person, he reps Auburn well and I appreciate that he is a good Christian man. We mutually made him a multi millionaire so he can continue to coach, join ESPN or retire after 6 years of work. 

I know Allen Greene's played baseball at ND, but suspect he witnessed a different level of program expectations in FB. I hope he is determined to make his mark at Auburn         early finding a quality replacement for Gus.

War Eagle !     

1 hour ago, NCTiger1982 said:

He is only stating the truth. Our biggest problem is we have a large portion of our fan base OK with 8 win seasons and mediocrity. Excuses and explaining away issues are        constant on this board. We don't have to give up the creed to consistently be in the hunt for the SECC and NC. It all starts with program expectations and our fan base is split. I can't find any successful HC in the past or currently that consistently had/has issues on his side of the ball. I don't think any on the o-staff could find employment with another power 5 program. Burns has come on strong in recruiting and under the right HC could be taught how to develop the talent he signs. That said, the excuses for Gus have got to stop. I like him as a person, he reps Auburn well and I appreciate that he is a good Christian man. We mutually made him a multi millionaire so he can continue to coach, join ESPN or retire after 6 years of work. 

I know Allen Greene's played baseball at ND, but suspect he witnessed a different level of program expectations in FB. I hope he is determined to make his mark at Auburn         early finding a quality replacement for Gus.

War Eagle !     

Very very very well said

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

I guess you can argue the material of the article, I don't know how but I've seen people be blind to worse.....but there's no arguing the title of this at all. One game doesn't fix this. And if we are honest this game we were trash, it should say two drives doesn't fix this

This, the game from my seats we looked terrible. It seemed every offensive drive was a quick 3 and out punt by our offense second half.I stayed to the end though and was excited about win, but also knew Gus apologist would be back just because of the W and not see after a bye week how bad we actually were on offense.

DCB7C801-16C9-45AC-B4A8-C87E9C10726F.jpeg

3 hours ago, tbone4jc said:

👏👊. Thank you very much. Negativity tends hide obvious solutions. Execution is the name of the game and yes that falls on CGM. It also falls on the OC, position coach and the players. War Eagle on a great win. I'm going to enjoy this and look forward to GA next week 

No shame in enjoying a win, most of us do. However this was not a great win. 19 yards when that’s your offense’s main goal is laughable. Gus is done, dead man walking. If he’s back in 2019, the AD will have to rip out 40,000 seats so the stadium looks half full. UAB will have more season ticket sales than AU. 

7 minutes ago, jared52 said:

No shame in enjoying a win, most of us do. However this was not a great win. 19 yards when that’s your offense’s main goal is laughable. Gus is done, dead man walking. If he’s back in 2019, the AD will have to rip out 40,000 seats so the stadium looks half full. UAB will have more season ticket sales than AU. 

Yeah I don’t get the either/or thing...I enjoyed the win AND still want Gussy gone. 

12 hours ago, DunderMifflin said:

He may actually believe all that - it is not a stretch or anything. But I believe it is more likely that this column was almost completely done before AU made that run in the last five minutes. Instead of taking a look at what happened as a whole and then writing about it, he took his “Gus is bad and AU will be 6-6” column and converted it to a “yeah, well, Gus is still bad and AU will be 7-5” column.

Well technically we will likely finish 7-6 after another bowl bust against the Big10 but I see nothing else inaccurate.

2 hours ago, bmartin3228 said:

This, the game from my seats we looked terrible. It seemed every offensive drive was a quick 3 and out punt by our offense second half.I stayed to the end though and was excited about win, but also knew Gus apologist would be back just because of the W and not see after a bye week how bad we actually were on offense.

DCB7C801-16C9-45AC-B4A8-C87E9C10726F.jpeg

A&M should file a theft claim against their insurance policy as this Auburn victory was surely stolen from them. 13 first downs to 28. 17 minute difference in position. Auburn ran only 51 plays from scrimmage. (Hey Malzahn, what happened to that goal of 85 plus plays on offense)

7 hours ago, tbone4jc said:

When Bill Burgess was head coach at Jacksonville St. he had a simple philosophy, the team that blocks and tackles the best is going to be the team that wins.

7 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

you do not believe we can get some quality depth or even starters in junior college?

No sir, no I don't .   We have tried to shore up our OL like this for 2 yrs and we see the results.  We all know this, but TAMU had more first downs than we had rushing yds.   That must be a record.   Never, never have I seen that.  Not even 2012.  

Our second best OL man is a project who we recruited to play defense...OL players are 1-2 years in the making.

Heck our prize OL recruit during the Malzahn era is looking like a bust: C Ashley (relative to his projection).  I don't see the skill on this coaching staff to be able to select, recruit or develop OL players.  

DISCLAIMER:

I am a fan, not a coach.  But I put a lot of stock in what I see and results on Saturday, esp coming off a bye week 

“One game doesn’t fix it.” Lol. 

The offensive coaches deserve the absolute minimum credit for this win as possible. This offense didn’t come alive til we went to the two minute offense. We only went to the two minute offense because the coaches were FORCED too. At that time the PLAYERS stepped up and outplayed their opponents. The coaches are supposed to put their players in the best position to be successful. That only happened when the coaches were forced to run the hurry up. When the players were put in that position they showed everyone what they were capable of. If had been left up to the coaches nothing would have ever changed. Had we had a one or two point lead, or even been only down by less than a touchdown, this most likely doesn’t happen. 

The PLAYERS deserve ALL the credit for this win, on both sides of the ball. When the offense was finally put in a position THEY could succeed in, they played lights out. The defense responded in kind. 

How the head ball coach can’t see this is beyond stupid. It’s obviously just pure stubbornness on his part. There is no other reasonable explanation. He’s not a stupid man. 

Love these players. They showed a lot of heart. They deserve better coaching. Period. 

Yes, I beat the dead horse some more. 

When are folks going to understand this is not about inexperience or youth or lack of talent. It is about the same thing that has resulted the last 6 years. Gus doesn’t know by game one what he has or what he wants to do. We are only playing a few freshmen that were not here last year and they have all preformed well. The ones that have struggled have been here a while. Coaches job during the spring and summer is to get this bunch ready for game one, not to still be swapping around folks cause he is not sure what line up he likes. That’s the problem if Gus stays we will continue to have disastrous starts and sloppy bowl games because Gus does not care. He is lazy and sloppy at doing his job. Good men don’t act that way.

2 hours ago, theweegler said:

“One game doesn’t fix it.” Lol. 

The offensive coaches deserve the absolute minimum credit for this win as possible. This offense didn’t come alive til we went to the two minute offense. We only went to the two minute offense because the coaches were FORCED too. At that time the PLAYERS stepped up and outplayed their opponents. The coaches are supposed to put their players in the best position to be successful. That only happened when the coaches were forced to run the hurry up. When the players were put in that position they showed everyone what they were capable of. If had been left up to the coaches nothing would have ever changed. Had we had a one or two point lead, or even been only down by less than a touchdown, this most likely doesn’t happen. 

The PLAYERS deserve ALL the credit for this win, on both sides of the ball. When the offense was finally put in a position THEY could succeed in, they played lights out. The defense responded in kind. 

How the head ball coach can’t see this is beyond stupid. It’s obviously just pure stubbornness on his part. There is no other reasonable explanation. He’s not a stupid man. 

Love these players. They showed a lot of heart. They deserve better coaching. Period. 

Yes, I beat the dead horse some more. 

Image result for meme preaching to the choir

6 hours ago, yngwie1995 said:

And here I was, thinking that a late comeback, requiring multiple circus catches, against a mediocre team in our own house, meant we were suddenly good again. 

Isn't that the truth. Which is exactly why an article like this from Barrett Sallee pisses me off. I don't appreciate some Captain Obvious outsider thinking he needs to "enlighten" our fan base just so he can justify writing a patronizing article at our expense. It's not like we don't know the problems we have or that the team isn't very good or that we are probably going to get killed by UGa and bama. But he thinks he needs to tell us we haven't been fixed by 1 game ? I mean really ? Get outta here.

Worst game plan I have seen since 2012. I can’t believe we had a week off and came up with that mess. Thank goodness Jimbo went brain dead and kept trying to pass with a QB who is not that great at passing. Also thank goodness there was no time on the clock when we had the ball in the 4th...we had to run the HUNH passing attack without wasting time swapping players every play. What do you know- it worked against a team with a terrible pass defense. Crazy  

sometimes I feel like I could draw up with a game plan and plays on a chik-fil-a napkin 5 minutes before the game that is better than what we see on the field  

On 11/3/2018 at 9:12 PM, ChltteTiger said:

Don't tell that to the sunshine pumpers. They will accuse you of being fundamentally wrong but will offer no defense for their position,

I will give you a defense of why we shouldn't fire Gus this year and let him dig his grave if it occurs. He won't make it seven if he is flopping, no idea why people believe that.

1) The same money people that brought you Gus and Chizik will be involved again. Why should I believe they will pull a better coach that justifies a $32 million  buyout?

2) While people are saying the money is there from donors, if you go back and look at the reports expenses show payments to ex-coaches that we fired for the AD. We are already tapping students for over 4.5 million to support the AD. I don't believe this will be a aTm exit where no money from students was used in buyouts.

3) While all universities have it, our boosters are infamous for their meddling at another level. Like almost getting the Universities Academic Accreditation pulled, put in top 5 worst list infamous. It is my understanding that this is the type of thing that made Patterson say no thank you to Auburn job when he interviewed. Don't think that behind Tuberville's back thing with Petrino isn't still known also.

4) We keep talking big name big name big name..... then why didn't they come knocking at the door after Tuberville?

5) What is a major requirement of the Auburn job? Beat Georgia and Alabama. Now I don't see many of these entrenched and stable coaches lining up at the opportunity to put their job on the line against Saban's Alabama machine and the favoritism that it receives. While Saban doesn't dictate Auburn's team, he will play a role in our next hire.

6) I don't think many coaches (the type people want) will be interested in coming to Auburn. Booted in the first year of a new contract with a winning record. Coaches will take notice of that and it will impact their belief that they can trust Auburn. I don't even want to think about the numbers it will take to get someone here. Cause I know if I decided to take the Auburn gig then I'm getting HUGE guaranteed money in case you run me off the next year.

My belief is that we will be slaughtered in the press for the buyout. We will then attempt to hire several coaches that will turn us down. We will then again be slaughtered and laughed at in the press. Current players will leave, recruits will go elsewhere. We will then end up with some coordinator with no head coaching experience (no more HC training right guys, isn't that what we want) who will end up being a 3 year placeholder for the next hire (after we buy him out of course). Basically ending up with the exact same results people think we will end up with if we keep Gus another year. Maybe even worse. Least when we fired Gus in 2 years there would be more justifications and no additional buyouts.

With our history and our money men's history of meddling, and the previous hires..... you guys talking about bringing Bob Stoops out of retirement, or stealing a hot shot coach with no Auburn ties from another university (be it a Matt Campbell or a David Shaw or whoever).... now that is some freaking Sunshine Pumping.

Now if I am wrong. I will have zero issue eating my crow and saying I'm wrong. Will be happy to do it.

22 hours ago, NCTiger1982 said:

Good post. And your last statement is the real issue. Firing Gus can be done. But who is that quality replacement? Let’s review the ‘next big thing’ over the last several years. Charlie Strong, Bobby Petrino, Tom Herman, PJ Fleck, Jim Harbaugh, Jeff Brohm, Justin Fuente, Gary Patterson, Chris Petersen, David Shaw. Throw Chip Kelly and Scott Frost onto that list for now as well. At different points in time, every one of these guys has been mentioned on an Auburn board as a great candidate to be our next head coach. All of these guys have had some success, but none have been the breakthrough they were purported to have been. Several of them already have fans asking for their heads. I’m not a sunshine pumper or even a Gus supporter. But I had the timely distinction of living in Nebraska when they fired Solich, and living in Tennessee when they fired Fulmer. Both of those blue blood programs have hit new lows over the last decade and are struggling mightily to regain their once elite status. Am I happy with the Gus rollercoaster? Heck no. Not even close. But finding that guy that is guaranteed to do better. History says good luck. I dont envy the position Allen Greene is in for the above reasons. 

6 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

I will give you a defense of why we shouldn't fire Gus this year and let him dig his grave if it occurs. He won't make it seven if he is flopping, no idea why people believe that.

1) The same money people that brought you Gus and Chizik will be involved again. Why should I believe they will pull a better coach that justifies a $32 million  buyout?

2) While people are saying the money is there from donors, if you go back and look at the reports expenses show payments to ex-coaches that we fired for the AD. We are already tapping students for over 4.5 million to support the AD. I don't believe this will be a aTm exit where no money from students was used in buyouts.

3) While all universities have it, our boosters are infamous for their meddling at another level. Like almost getting the Universities Academic Accreditation pulled, put in top 5 worst list infamous. It is my understanding that this is the type of thing that made Patterson say no thank you to Auburn job when he interviewed. Don't think that behind Tuberville's back thing with Petrino isn't still known also.

4) We keep talking big name big name big name..... then why didn't they come knocking at the door after Tuberville?

5) What is a major requirement of the Auburn job? Beat Georgia and Alabama. Now I don't see many of these entrenched and stable coaches lining up at the opportunity to put their job on the line against Saban's Alabama machine and the favoritism that it receives. While Saban doesn't dictate Auburn's team, he will play a role in our next hire.

6) I don't think many coaches (the type people want) will be interested in coming to Auburn. Booted in the first year of a new contract with a winning record. Coaches will take notice of that and it will impact their belief that they can trust Auburn. I don't even want to think about the numbers it will take to get someone here. Cause I know if I decided to take the Auburn gig then I'm getting HUGE guaranteed money in case you run me off the next year.

My belief is that we will be slaughtered in the press for the buyout. We will then attempt to hire several coaches that will turn us down. We will then again be slaughtered and laughed at in the press. Current players will leave, recruits will go elsewhere. We will then end up with some coordinator with no head coaching experience (no more HC training right guys, isn't that what we want) who will end up being a 3 year placeholder for the next hire (after we buy him out of course). Basically ending up with the exact same results people think we will end up with if we keep Gus another year. Maybe even worse. Least when we fired Gus in 2 years there would be more justifications and no additional buyouts.

With our history and our money men's history of meddling, and the previous hires..... you guys talking about bringing Bob Stoops out of retirement, or stealing a hot shot coach with no Auburn ties from another university (be it a Matt Campbell or a David Shaw or whoever).... now that is some freaking Sunshine Pumping.

Now if I am wrong. I will have zero issue eating my crow and saying I'm wrong. Will be happy to do it.

This right here is what everyone needs to read.    It’s not about whether anyone thinks Gus is the right/wrong person for the job, but who is going to make the decision on the next hire.  

If I recall correctly, Auburn just came off it’s worse year (3 - 8  ) and had the opportunity to get the next hire corrected and ended up with CGM.  

My problem with keeping or firing him is that Auburn doesn’t have the right mechanism (or whatever you want to call it) in place to hire a quality coach.   Too many hands in the cookie jar, that will want their  voices heard over who the next guy will be.   

43 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Good post. And your last statement is the real issue. Firing Gus can be done. But who is that quality replacement? Let’s review the ‘next big thing’ over the last several years. Charlie Strong, Bobby Petrino, Tom Herman, PJ Fleck, Jim Harbaugh, Jeff Brohm, Justin Fuente, Gary Patterson, Chris Petersen, David Shaw. Throw Chip Kelly and Scott Frost onto that list for now as well. At different points in time, every one of these guys has been mentioned on an Auburn board as a great candidate to be our next head coach. All of these guys have had some success, but none have been the breakthrough they were purported to have been. Several of them already have fans asking for their heads. I’m not a sunshine pumper or even a Gus supporter. But I had the timely distinction of living in Nebraska when they fired Solich, and living in Tennessee when they fired Fulmer. Both of those blue blood programs have hit new lows over the last decade and are struggling mightily to regain their once elite status. Am I happy with the Gus rollercoaster? Heck no. Not even close. But finding that guy that is guaranteed to do better. History says good luck. I dont envy the position Allen Greene is in for the above reasons. 

This is what im afraid of.  History shows there are no guarantees 

Everybody bitchin' about the offense but we knew pre season that the O-line and RB positions were going to be works in progress. The defense was supposed to be the team's strong point. Both in talent and experience they had the makings of being great. TV comment before the Washington game: "Auburn's front seven is arguably college football's best". The defense has under performed in every game except Washington. They've repeatedly been gashed right up the gut game after game. Tennessee managed to score 14 points against some lightweight Saturday, but they hung 30 on Auburn.

The offense hasn't been great, but compared to potential, the defense has been a disaster. Blew a ten point lead late in the game against LSU. Couldn't get MSU's offense off the field and allowed them 349 yards net rushing. Gave up 30 points to an anemic Tennessee offense.... All three of those losses would have been wins had the defense played to at least most of their ability.

There's enough blame to go around, but start with the defense. What should have been this team's strong point has been a liability instead.

9 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Everybody bitchin' about the offense but we knew pre season that the O-line and RB positions were going to be works in progress. The defense was supposed to be the team's strong point. Both in talent and experience they had the makings of being great. TV comment before the Washington game: "Auburn's front seven is arguably college football's best". The defense has under performed in every game except Washington. They've repeatedly been gashed right up the gut game after game. Tennessee managed to score 14 points against some lightweight Saturday, but they hung 30 on Auburn.

The offense hasn't been great, but compared to potential, the defense had been a disaster. Blew a ten point lead late in the game against LSU. Couldn't get MSU's offense off the field and allowed them 349 yards net rushing. Gave up 30 points to an anemic Tennessee offense.... All three of those losses would have been wins had the defense played to at least most of their ability.

There's enough blame to go around, but start with the defense. What should have been this team's strong pint has been a liability instead.

I really hope whoever the next coach is either this year or next that me and you actually agree on. IDK If I can take much more of you defending someone who absolutely NO ONE deserves defending him.  Because he has done nothing to warrant you going so hard in the paint bodying everyone and throwing elbows trying to defend lol. Gus def owes you a cut of his salary how much you go to bat for him.

4 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I really hope whoever the next coach is either this year or next that me and you actually agree on. IDK If I can take much more of you defending someone who absolutely NO ONE deserves defending because he has done nothing to warrant you going so hard in the paint bodying everyone and throwing elbows trying to defend lol. Gus def owes you a cut of his salary how much you go to bat for him.

What in the name of all that's holy makes you turn my post of "The defense has been bad" into a defense of any coach? That's just silly. I do say all this griping about the offense is mis-placed. iIf you want to look at the most disappointing, under-achieving area of this team so far, it's the defense. Clue for you: Gus is the head coach. Defense is on him too, since apparently you didn't know that already.

Archived