One game doesn't fix it

AuCivilEng1

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

What in the name of all that's holy makes you turn my post of "The defense has been bad" into a defense of any coach? That's just silly. I do say all this griping about the offense is mis-placed. iIf you want to look at the most disappointing, under-achieving area of this team so far, it's the defense. Clue for you: Gus is the head coach. Defense is on him too, since apparently you didn't know that already.

You know exactly what you were doing with this post. Do not feign like you have no clue now. You wanted to deflect attention off of Gus and HIS offense by blaming steele and the defense. 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just had a thought.  Football teams have several spots for off the field analysts right?  Now, if you wanted to negate some of the negative message board talk, wouldn't it make sense to hire two or three people to post on various sites defending the coach and trying to negate the criticisms popping up every where? Food for thought and would explain a lot of posts on here.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

What in the name of all that's holy makes you turn my post of "The defense has been bad" into a defense of any coach? That's just silly. I do say all this griping about the offense is mis-placed. iIf you want to look at the most disappointing, under-achieving area of this team so far, it's the defense. Clue for you: Gus is the head coach. Defense is on him too, since apparently you didn't know that already.

You just blamed the defense for three losses . Don’t be obtuse. You know exactly what you are doing. If you want to put blame on someone start with the defense? Lol. Defense is a much better unit then the offense statistically. You are saying they are a liability? Wow.

14 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

sometimes I feel like I could draw up with a game plan and plays on a chik-fil-a napkin 5 minutes before the game that is better than what we see on the field  

And you'll still have enough napkin real estate left to wipe your mouth

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 9:41 PM, PoetTiger said:

I just don’t know want to think or how to feel about Gus and this season

I feel and think the same as I did last season and the season before that and the season before that. I want him gone and the sooner the better. He is not a coach that is going to win more than 7-8 games on a regular basis. 

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 12:23 PM, jared52 said:

No shame in enjoying a win, most of us do. However this was not a great win. 19 yards when that’s your offense’s main goal is laughable. Gus is done, dead man walking. If he’s back in 2019, the AD will have to rip out 40,000 seats so the stadium looks half full. UAB will have more season ticket sales than AU. 

I made a post yesterday about how season ticket sales could decline next year, and I was ridiculed and called names so much the mods shut down the post.

10 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

I made a post yesterday about how season ticket sales could decline next year, and I was ridiculed and called names so much the mods shut down the post.

I bet they do decline next year. It's been a trend across the nation, even at places like Alabama. Actually showing up despite having tickets is a nation wide issue also.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/college-footballs-growing-problem-empty-seats-1535634001

Plus Georgia and Alabama are home games next year. They will snag spare AU season tickets to get those.

12 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

I bet they do decline next year. It's been a trend across the nation, even at places like Alabama. Actually showing up despite having tickets is a nation wide issue also.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/college-footballs-growing-problem-empty-seats-1535634001

Plus Georgia and Alabama are home games next year. They will snag spare AU season tickets to get those.

And the way they combat it?  Raise prices...DOH!

Just a modest price DECREASE would probably do wonders.  And they might make up the "loss" due to the decrease by "gains" in people actually buying.

Plus, and I don't know this but am asking, is there a way to keep these things off of these reseller sites like StubHub, etc?  Seems that hurts rather than helps for the "bigger" games (most conference games) as those are usually above, in some cases WAY above, face value.

I could be wrong, but that was my experience over the years...

It really is about time everyone stops the griping and spewing so much negativity at this point in the season.  Despite a disappointing season, we can still finish with a good recruiting class next month. Parents, recruits, and student- athletes read this board!! 

It's very obvious Gus and Auburn are in the twilight years of their relationship (likely 1-3 years left), and that's fine, he's given it a good run, but sometimes a change is needed for everyone, check out Andy Reid and the Chiefs, he left Philly and has been revitalized in KC.

But this continual flow of negativity is only setting us back.  Gus continues to recruit at a respectable level, and at the very least, he'll leave Auburn and the next coach with a cupboard full of talented recruits.  

We have several prized recruits who love our coaches on a personal level, and they'll likely leave if a major change is made. Pappoe might be the most talented LB recruit in AU history when its all said and done, and he's very attached to T-WIll and Gus. There's no point in eating that MASSIVE buyout and losing recruits at the same time.  Our talent level has gotten us to a bowl game this year, not coaching. So don't ruin the recruiting pipeline a month before early signing day.... just saying consider putting on your big boy face and smile a little. Besides, Gus didn't create his contract, our President and board members did.

12 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

Besides, Gus didn't create his contract, our President and board members did.

Are you trying to say the President and BOT gave this contract to Gus without negotiating?  Do you have a link for this?

Just now, I_M4_AU said:

Are you trying to say the President and BOT gave this contract to Gus without negotiating?  Do you have a link for this?

No. I didn't mean to imply that at all, not sure how you took it that way either. They're the power people with signing authority who negotiated on Auburn's behalf.

Jimmy Sexton took advantage of short-sighted and emotional Leath and BOT members, who became blinded by the UGA & UAT wins. Of course there were negotiations, and Auburn's side did a poor job of negotiating his contract.

4 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

To add to your questions...to think that our people in admin know ANYTHING about contract negotiating in the sports world, is short-sighted. OFC they used lawyers who are experienced in contract negotiating, and based on their recommendations the President and BOT approved. Sure the President could have just said no, or the BOT the same, but they didn't. It's the nature of college coaches contracts these days. 

Look at Jimbo Fisher's. its more ridiculous than GM's....

21 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

No. I didn't mean to imply that at all, not sure how you took it that way either. They're the power people with signing authority who negotiated on Auburn's behalf.

Jimmy Sexton took advantage of short-sighted and emotional Leath and BOT members, who became blinded by the UGA & UAT wins. Of course there were negotiations, and Auburn's side did a poor job of negotiating his contract.

Your original statement said “Gus didn’t create his contract, our President and board member did”.  How else would you take that statement?

Your second statement in this reply is correct, Jimmy Sexton, with the full cooperation of Gus, created that contract.  Jimmy Sexton is an agent that works for Gus.  Gus had to tell Sexton what he wanted in that contract, so Gus doesn’t get a pass on this at all.  He (GUS) created this and rose the expectations of everybody connected to Auburn to a new level. Gus then promptly went back to his 2016 LSU style of coaching.

15 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

To add to your questions...to think that our people in admin know ANYTHING about contract negotiating in the sports world, is short-sighted. OFC they used lawyers who are experienced in contract negotiating, and based on their recommendations the President and BOT approved. Sure the President could have just said no, or the BOT the same, but they didn't. It's the nature of college coaches contracts these days. 

Look at Jimbo Fisher's. its more ridiculous than GM's....

Yeah, it’s throwing money at the problem and hoping that it will solve everything. We are stuck for a while in hopes that our next coaching contract will be more realistic. Our admin going up against Sexton is like Auburn going up against Bama this year.  Bama can name the score.

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

Your original statement said “Gus didn’t create his contract, our President and board member did”.  How else would you take that statement?

Your second statement in this reply is correct, Jimmy Sexton, with the full cooperation of Gus, created that contract.  Jimmy Sexton is an agent that works for Gus.  Gus had to tell Sexton what he wanted in that contract, so Gus doesn’t get a pass on this at all.  He (GUS) created this and rose the expectations of everybody connected to Auburn to a new level. Gus then promptly went back to his 2016 LSU style of coaching.

I am not going to blame a coach for asking for more than some think he is worth. It's no different when I went in to try and get a raise, and most would ask for more than what we thought we would get. 

But it's the Admin's fault for giving in, not GM asking for what most top level coaches ask for these days...

41 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I am not going to blame a coach for asking for more than some think he is worth. It's no different when I went in to try and get a raise, and most would ask for more than what we thought we would get. 

But it's the Admin's fault for giving in, not GM asking for what most top level coaches ask for these days...

I don’t blame him for getting what he can, but when somebody states Gus did not create his contract, well that’s just wrong. It wasn’t a contract year, he came off of two unprecedented wins, had leverage and negotiated with an admin that had no AD.  The admin is not without fault, I agree.

Guest WarEagleSteve

Serious question for everyone: what is the ideal outcome if we fire Gus Malzahn? In other words, what is the expectation for the coach who follows him? Realistically? 

I'm not super happy with Gus' performance either and I agree that one comeback victory over an okay Texas A&M team does not fix all of the issues overnight. However, here are some facts about the current college football landscape that I think are relevant to this discussion: 

There are exactly four active head coaches with NC rings: Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, Jimbo Fisher, and Dabo Swinney. Nick Saban has more than the other three combined. 

There are exactly four active head coaches who have appeared in a NC game but not won: Kirby Smart, Chip Kelly, Brian Kelly, and Gus. 

There are exactly three active head coaches who have beat Nick Saban more than once: Urban Meyer, Mark Richt (one of his wins was while Saban was at LSU), and Gus. 

Auburn has consistently pulled in top 10 recruiting classes since Gus has been here, gone to a bowl game every year, and has won the SEC West twice. He's done this despite arguably having the most difficult year-in, year-out schedule of any Auburn coach except maybe Shug Jordan. 

Before anyone accuses me of being a Gus apologist, I want to say that I do believe Gus has underachieved relative to his rosters' talent level. I do believe he has some serious flaws as both a head coach and an offensive mind that need addressing if Auburn is ever going to achieve up to its potential. However, I also know that hiring and firing head coaches in college football is, at best, a crapshoot. College football is littered with storied programs that have fallen on hard times as a result of bad coaching decisions and many of them are arguably easier jobs than Auburn. Texas, Tennessee, Michigan, Nebraska, USC, Miami, and Florida among others have all spent years wandering the college football wilderness as a result of poor coaching hires. Florida State has cratered post Jimbo Fisher. Oregon hasn't been relevant since Chip Kelly left. LSU hasn't finished higher than third in the SEC West since Jarrett Stidham's freshman year. Of high school. All of this is not to say that we should be happy with where we are regarding our head coaching situation. However, I do think we need to be careful what we wish for. 

7 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

And the way they combat it?  Raise prices...DOH!

Just a modest price DECREASE would probably do wonders.  And they might make up the "loss" due to the decrease by "gains" in people actually buying.

Plus, and I don't know this but am asking, is there a way to keep these things off of these reseller sites like StubHub, etc?  Seems that hurts rather than helps for the "bigger" games (most conference games) as those are usually above, in some cases WAY above, face value.

I could be wrong, but that was my experience over the years...

I know one year that Texas aTm tracked their student tickets and found them on sites. They then voided the tickets and removed those students rights to buy tickets again.

Archived