"Air Raid" against UGA?

ChltteTiger

As some of us been saying all year only to get shut down, this year’s team has to pass the ball to open up the run. We beat the aggies yesterday because our WRs made great plays. For us to run the ball against UGA, MW or someone will have to be in the game.  Will it telegraph the run? Yes. But it’s better than what we have. Hopefully the coaching staff gets creative sending Schwartz in motion with him. I would start working on a package right now for UGA.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The key is that you can use the pass to set up the run. It’s not about abandoning the run, it’s about utilizing the talent you have in a smart and efficient way. 

If you use the passing game wisely, meaning a variety of routes and not just streaks/go patterns; but, intermediate passing routes, it forces the LBs out of those running lanes. 

I won’t even belabor the point about self-evaluation and going against tendencies. But, when the other coaches are yelling “Screen, screen”, that’s the time to run a double move or a fake to the screen side and a pass to the other. 

To give some credit, the coaches did just that with the double pass to RD and SC for the score. The O needs more of that—it needs to be more unpredictable (sets, personnel, formations . . . eat. al.).

A good coach can adapt to maximize the strengths of his personnel and to minimize the weaknesses. It’s about putting the players in the best position to be able to make plays, execute, compete, and win.

I don’t think we have any option other than to throw it every play.  We need quick passes to get the ball out of Stidham’s hands because the line can’t hold up for those slow developing plays.  

9 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

The son was very low key but sometimes he would open up about his Dad and the bomb

Hate that Enola Gay ended up being vilified by the progressives. Those guys were heroes.

1 hour ago, wareagleguy said:

The key is that you can use the pass to set up the run. It’s not about abandoning the run, it’s about utilizing the talent you have in a smart and efficient way. 

If you use the passing game wisely, meaning a variety of routes and not just streaks/go patterns; but, intermediate passing routes, it forces the LBs out of those running lanes. 

I won’t even belabor the point about self-evaluation and going against tendencies. But, when the other coaches are yelling “Screen, screen”, that’s the time to run a double move or a fake to the screen side and a pass to the other. 

To give some credit, the coaches did just that with the double pass to RD and SC for the score. The O needs more of that—it needs to be more unpredictable (sets, personnel, formations . . . eat. al.).

A good coach can adapt to maximize the strengths of his personnel and to minimize the weaknesses. It’s about putting the players in the best position to be able to make plays, execute, compete, and win.

This is how Chip had (2) 1000 yard rushers at USM with Mullins at QB.  Of course that USM OL was much better than this year's Auburn OL.

Our defense and Jimbo Fisher are the reason we won the game yesterday. TAMU had absolutely no business throwing the ball. To be brutally honest, we never adapted offensively. We had to go into a two minute offense ( given score and time) and it worked great, but it wasn’t like Gus had a choice either. The most frustrating part is we’re 10 games into the season and everyone knows except our HC that we can’t run block and our offense is predictable. 

9 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Brigadier General Paul Tibbets Jr. (LTC at the time of the Hiroshima drop) graduated from the University of Florida and even was a Sigma Nu and then went the University of Cincinnati for a year of Medical School before actually joining the Army.

The co-pilot Captain Robert A. Lewis was enlisted and then went to Officer Canidate School (OCS) to become an office. He graduated from NYU with a BS in Chemistry after he got out of the Air Force. 

His Grandson Brigadier General Paul Tibbets IV just got removed from Command was recently forced to retire without a promotion because an investigation found he told his subordinates not to report suicide attempts, he made inappropriate comments about women during a sporting event, and pressured a female airman under his command into uncomfortable conversation about her past and he also created a negative work environment, accepted inappropriate gifts and used a government vehicle for personal reasons. 

I used to swim with Paul Tibbets IV and have meet and talked with Paul Tibbetts Jr. many many times. I have also talked with LTC/CW4 Michael J. Novosel Medal of Honor winner who as an Air Force LTC was the Commander of the 2nd B-29 that flew with the Enola Gay. (He retired and when Vietnam broke out he joined the Army as a Warrant Officer to fly helicopters and flying  MEDEVAC he won the Medal of Honor).

In my discussions with all those people not once have they ever mentioned Him going to Auburn and according to multiple list of the top famous Auburn Alumni he is not on any of them. 

Paul Tibbets IV grew up down the street from me in Montgomery, he is 4 years younger then me so I never really knew him, just saw him running around the neighborhood like we all did in the 70s.  I met his grandfather, the pilot of the Enola Gay, when he was visiting, I was like 14 or 15...

As soon as UGA starts bringing pressure, Stidham will roll left and find no one. Or just hold on to the ball and lose 6 yards a pop. 

Call me crazy but our OLINE actually seemed to pass block pretty well yesterday. Again, pass block only. I think we have to throw the ball no less than 30 times to have a chance. And as mentioned earlier in the thread and by announcers continually during our broadcasts all season, give the QB some options on the passing routes for the love of sweet baby Jesus. Mix in a screen option along with a crossing pattern along with the deep routes. Too many times JS has no outlet option on the passing downs. Such basic things seem so foreign to this offensive staff. 

13 minutes ago, AubFanCT said:

Call me crazy but our OLINE actually seemed to pass block pretty well yesterday. Again, pass block only. I think we have to throw the ball no less than 30 times to have a chance. And as mentioned earlier in the thread and by announcers continually during our broadcasts all season, give the QB some options on the passing routes for the love of sweet baby Jesus. Mix in a screen option along with a crossing pattern along with the deep routes. Too many times JS has no outlet option on the passing downs. Such basic things seem so foreign to this offensive staff. 

Jimbo didn’t blitz like I would have but our line did the job we needed them to. But yes we must go air raid. This could pave the run game. If Jarrett can make good decisions it could be much better. 

9 hours ago, AUwent said:

Paul Tibbets? Isn't he a FL grad?

EDIT: His son was an AU grad.

This is true my bad. His son was the Head of Phamarcy at Greenville Memorial Hosp in Greenville SC when I met him

• WarTiger changed the title to "Air Raid" against UGA?

Ok, practically speaking. Could you make that big of a change in one week of practice? Could you basically say ok, we’re going 5 wides and hurry up with limited personnel changes to prevent uga from subbing on defense? Is it even plausible?

26 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

Ok, practically speaking. Could you make that big of a change in one week of practice? Could you basically say ok, we’re going 5 wides and hurry up with limited personnel changes to prevent uga from subbing on defense? Is it even plausible?

I think so. 

44 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

Yep. Every team (I realize that we don't fit the "every team" mold) has a 2 and 4 minute offense. COPS - Corners, Outs, Posts, Slants. I'd replace the posts with drags. 

1 hour ago, OnthePlains said:

Spurrier, yes. Gus (we’re a run first play action team), no freaking way. 

Gus needs to have a a complete game where we go pass crazy from the get go against the muts. This is the only way we have a solid chance of beating them. Gus will likely though try to run the ball first and when he hits a brick wall, maybe the lights will come on before it is too late in game. Only time will tell the story.

We can beat the muts with an all out effort on both sides of the ball.

19 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

The son was very low key but sometimes he would open up about his Dad and the bomb

So Tibbets was a FL grad and his son an Auburn man?   Love that story and yes, took great courage to prep and fly that mission.  American Hero.

Today, there would marches and protests in the streets, prob burning cars if we preserved life and a saved a nation from destruction by dropping a bomb.    

Thanks for sharing.

19 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

This . Worm should get those screens . Miller runs like he is stuck in concrete. Not sure why he is catching those and not worm 

Agree. Miller is too slow and doesn't read holes well. Shivers and or Swartz, spelling, should be heavy in the game plan for. Ga, but that makes too much sense for our saviour of a HC to think about. 

19 hours ago, oracle79 said:

Pass every play unless it's 3rd and more than 10, then run a delay, draw or speed sweep.  Quit abusing injured RB's in obvious run situations.  Great win tonight, and I didn't even care that we won. Is it me or is it Gus?  

At this point I don't even care if we win out.  Just get Gus the hell out of here.

I do care about wins, but agree about the pretend mad offensive scientist. The play calling now in the HUNH passed him by right after the year he had the best "cam " QB in the nation. It wasn't his play calling, but rather the talent he had at that time. He should be making monthly payments to. Newton for his career. 

Archived