What a horrible place to be

cole256

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, wcware said:

Cole you are absolutely correct 

Well I guess I'm an astronaut who doubles as an stunt double for Michael B Jordan. You can see me in this upcoming Rocky movie 💯

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

THAT IS EXACTLY what we are telling you. Amazing isn't it?! MAKES NO SENSE RIGHT???? But alas here we are.......... 

tpb.gif

I’m so glad y’all let me know that. It pretty much renders his opinions on Gus moot now. 

1 minute ago, OnthePlains said:

I’m so glad y’all let me know that. It pretty much renders his opinions on Gus moot now. 

hahahahaha I love this. GET HIM!!!!

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

hahahahaha I love this. GET HIM!!!!

Maybe he could give Gus counseling and then if we don’t win 10 games next year he could banish him to the moon?

4 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

I definitely feel your pain @cole256. It’s incredibly frustrating to be an AU fan these days. We should be gearing up for a collossal meeting with UGA with playoffs on the line. But we’re not. And that’s where I have changed as a fan. I’m celebrating the win big time. But not for beating TAMU. I’m celebrating for players like Deshaun Davis who got to leave Jordan-Hare yesterday with a big win. I love the championship runs, the Heisman years, and the big Iron Bowl wins. But when those aren’t there, I make it about the players. The UT loss cemented my feelings that Gus has to go, but it wont be me or you who makes that call. Our players deserve a better coach than who they’ve got. Until Greene and Leath make a change, I’m all in on supporting these players, and that includes celebrating every success they have. WDE anyways!

B0EF9664-DAE1-43E5-A605-8A94132A1BCB.png

Perfectly said. I am happy for the players. They deserve the win after having to put up with the worst coaching outside of 2012 that I have ever seen. I still can’t believe we self scouted for 2 weeks and that was our game plan. 

It is a strange time to be an AU fan.

14 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:
18 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Where's @McLoofus? He'll be needed to save me from being banned if I get on a roll 🏃🏿

Yeah where is Loof? We could use him with this PhD astronaut hanging around 

@McLoofus is smart.  He usually stays away from the board until a couple days after the game lately.  Let's things cool down.  Brilliance!

10 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Perfectly said. I am happy for the players. They deserve the win after having to put up with the worst coaching outside of 2012 that I have ever seen. I still can’t believe we self scouted for 2 weeks and that was our game plan. 

It is a strange time to be an AU fan.

Can’t remember a time when it wasn’t strange to be an AU fan 

2 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

@McLoofus is smart.  He usually stays away from the board until a couple days after the game lately.  Let's things cool down.  Brilliance!

Loof? Smart? My Loof? Nah. He's kicked out of the club if I find any truth to this!

35 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I JUST WANT FOOTBALLS VERSION OF BRUCE PEARL AS OUR HEAD COACH!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE THAT IS ALL I ASK!!!!!!!! A coach who is easy to love and the whole fanbase can wrap their arms around. The last 2 coaches especially have made that really really hard to do and downright impossible. IDK how Gus has the unabashed fans he does on here who will defend him at every turn because the man is one of the most unlikeable people in all of college football. 

I’m not coming down on either side but one of the most unlikeable? Now comparing him to Pearl, yes. But name five coaches who have the charisma Pearl has. I can think of maybe two with a personality. The rest are just liked bc they win. Like Swinney but respect Saban.  The fact he recruits well means he’s got something. But I would say he would never follow Chizik into the tv world. He would fail miserably.

1 hour ago, AUFriction said:

PhD in Psychology and have published papers on human motivation.

The circumstances of this season are really not surprising given the ridiculous expectations of the fans and how pooorly we reacted to the LSU loss.

Here's where your theory breaks down. Fan backlash was tremendously negative after the LSU road loss last year and the team rallied to take down 2 number 1's in 3 weeks. Why last year and not this year? Pretty simple...talent level. We lost a 2nd round draft rb who fit Gus's offense to a t and 4 out of 5 starters on the o line. Oh wait, and 3 out of 5 starters in the secondary and our best pass rusher. And the replacements, especially on the o line, are not up to par.  I dont doubt the players are making the same effort as last year (Gus is literally preaching the same message), but this team is just not as talented. It's incredibly clear to anyone watching. 

8 minutes ago, twilli13 said:

Here's where your theory breaks down. Fan backlash was tremendously negative after the LSU road loss last year and the team rallied to take down 2 number 1's in 3 weeks. Why last year and not this year? Pretty simple...talent level. We lost a 2nd round draft rb who fit Gus's offense to a t and 4 out of 5 starters on the o line. Oh wait, and 3 out of 5 starters in the secondary and our best pass rusher. And the replacements, especially on the o line, are not up to par.  I dont doubt the players are making the same effort as last year (Gus is literally preaching the same message), but this team is just not as talented. It's incredibly clear to anyone watching. 

The circumstances around that game were different. Going into the season last year, expectations for the team we’re pretty low. We had already lost to Clemson, and nobody expected us to be in the playoff picture at the end of the year.

Everyone expected us to be really good this year, especially after beating Washington in week 1. In contrast, nobody expected LSU to be any good. The loss to LSU was perceived to be a really talented Auburn team losing to a terrible LSU team. Imagine us beating Bama and then turning around two weeks later and losing to Vandy. While not as extreme, I’d assume that’s how it felt. The next three weeks after that LSU loss, the team looked uninspired.

51 minutes ago, wcware said:

Maybe he could give Gus counseling and then if we don’t win 10 games next year he could banish him to the moon?

I’m a sports psychologist, not a clinical psychologist. I don’t do therapy. I do research, and publish it in research journals. I also consult with teams and companies to improve motivation and morale.

... which is why I made my original point that you guys really don’t understand how human motivation works.

5 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

The circumstances around that game were different. Going into the season last year, expectations for the team we’re pretty low. We had already lost to Clemson, and nobody expected us to be in the playoff picture at the end of the year.

Everyone expected us to be really good this year, especially after beating Washington in week 1. In contrast, nobody expected LSU to be any good. The loss to LSU was perceived to be a really talented Auburn team losing to a terrible LSU team. Imagine us beating Bama and then turning around two weeks later and losing to Vandy. While not as extreme, I’d assume that’s how it felt. The next three weeks after that LSU loss, the team looked uninspired.

54B0BCB9-8B96-46F4-8868-E86A13D53122.jpeg

2 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Dont know how long you've followed Au football, but the expectations were not at all pretty low. Stidham was supposed to be the missing piece of the puzzle to get us back to the top. We started the year ranked 12th I think and were number 10 going into the LSU game. There were many articles published about us finally getting a win in Baton Rouge going into that 2017 game and we choked. 

5 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

I’m a sports psychologist, not a clinical psychologist. I don’t do therapy. I do research, and publish it in research journals. I also consult with teams and companies to improve motivation and morale.

... which is why I made my original point that you guys really don’t understand how human motivation works.

I will add here I definitely respect your field. Got my masters in counseling and educational psychology and actually work as a Social Scientist now. Do a lot of both quantitative and qualitative behavioral research studies. I definitely get where you are coming from as far as theory. I just think in this case, breaking down an objective look at the talen level of the team will tell you that's where the root cause is from. The o line has been bad all year. 

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

I’m curious, AUFriction.  Why do you have the 2016 Clemson Whirly Bird gif as your sig?  What does that tell us about your thought process?  Is this your favorite Auburn play of all time?  Maybe time for some self eval.  Inquiring minds want to know.

Also, if the flaky fan support and media have that much influence on how they view their self worth; what do you say about their mental toughness?

I started typing up a long response to this that fully explained my rationale, but my phone froze and I lost it. So I’ll give you the quick version.

Gus is far from a great coach. He is very slow to adapt, and sometimes gets too creative with playcalling. He’s also way too stubborn. However, 1. We are stuck with him for at least another year. So we can either support the team and hope he adapts, or give the team no support and watch them do even worse. 2. I think there are more bad coaches than good ones. And this year, there appear to be few proven coaches that we will be able to get, especially when you take the buyout into account. Gus has been above average as a coach. However, he’s put us in a bowl every year, and we’ve had a couple of very good years with him. Think about all of the SEC teams, some of which were perennial powerhouses, that have had losing records in recent years.

So, we can complain for the next 1 1/4 years and hope someone better is on available next year, or we can be supportive. Critique the bad decisions, but don’t  outwardly bash the players or coaches. Since we’re stuck with Gus, hope he turns it around rather than acting like you are waiting for him to fail.

1 hour ago, AUFriction said:

No. Enough with this overly negative crap. We just beat a top 25 team with calls going in their favor all game. The fan backlash from the LSU loss sucked the wind out of the team, and they’ve had to turn their season around in the midst of flaky fan support and the sports media telling them their worthless. You all know nothing about human behavior. How about we quit b****ing and start supporting the team for a change...

Flaky freakin fans...

So... the players weren't sucked into a bad season after giving up a 20+ point lead @ LSU last season, but were after a loss on a last second field goal? This also assumes fans being pissed off at the coach has ANY correlation to the on field play by the players. Not buying it. At all. 

Also the reaction by the media and fans is completely understandable. In every way. This team is loaded with talent. Sure there are weaknesses. Every team has some weaknesses. But smart coaches know their strengths and weaknesses going into the season, and have tailored their offense to those strengths. Our coach doesn't do that. And its caused us to lose at least 4 games in every season under Gus save year 1. Year one included two of the most amazing finishes in college football history. 

Losing 4 games every year with top 10 talent isn't acceptable.  It just isn't. The coaches deserve every bit of criticism they have received. 

I am happy we won, but I've disconnected myself. I don't feel any different after a win as I do a loss. It doesn't effect me either way.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

likely the players are more mentally tough than some AU fans who worry about what their bama or Georgia friends will say when Auburn's football team loses. 

I could care less about UGA or Bama. What I care about is losing at least 4 games every year with top 10 talent. That's not acceptable and there isn't a person who should defend Gus with that stat alone.

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

I JUST WANT FOOTBALLS VERSION OF BRUCE PEARL AS OUR HEAD COACH!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE THAT IS ALL I ASK!!!!!!!! A coach who is easy to love and the whole fanbase can wrap their arms around. The last 2 coaches especially have made that really really hard to do and downright impossible. IDK how Gus has the unabashed fans he does on here who will defend him at every turn because the man is one of the most unlikeable people in all of college football. 

There is one, but Auburn likely wouldn't hire him because he isn't a Christian saint, but Joey Freshwater would be just like Pearl in my opinion. 

Archived