What a horrible place to be

cole256

4 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Gus has been above average as a coach. However, he’s put us in a bowl every year

And he has lost all but one of those bowls. The only one he has won was The Birmingham Bowl vs Memphis. 

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I am happy we won, but I've disconnected myself. I don't feel any different after a win as I do a loss. It doesn't effect me either way.

its weird, but that is exactly how i have become since coach dawber was re-signed last season....just numb....love basketball much,much more now and that process started with hiring bruce pearl....the best thing jethro ever did as AD

24 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

I’m a sports psychologist, not a clinical psychologist. I don’t do therapy. I do research, and publish it in research journals. I also consult with teams and companies to improve motivation and morale.

... which is why I made my original point that you guys really don’t understand how human motivation works.

He doesn’t do therapy! Damn you lower IQ people! He is a SPORTS psychologist! Geez folks...

9 minutes ago, twilli13 said:

I will add here I definitely respect your field. Got my masters in counseling and educational psychology and actually work as a Social Scientist now. Do a lot of both quantitative and qualitative behavioral research studies. I definitely get where you are coming from as far as theory. I just think in this case, breaking down an objective look at the talen level of the team will tell you that's where the root cause is from. The o line has been bad all year. 

I actually agree with you somewhat. I think we would be scary good if the OL was better. If we had a good OL, the LSU game would have been a win. The mediocre offense in weeks 1-3 and the last two games has clearly been due to OL problems more than anything else. But the team appeared to get better from weeks 1-3. After week 3, there was a falloff in effort and an uptick in sloppy play. That seemed to get worse and worse until the losses to Moo State and UT, with the latter being absolutely terrible. Those weeks between week 3 and Ole Miss looked similar to learned helplessness. The OL still looks poor, but we’ve played increasingly better the last two weeks.

1 minute ago, doverstutts said:

its weird, but that is exactly how i have become since coach dawber was re-signed last season....just numb....love basketball much,much more now and that process started with hiring bruce pearl....the best thing jethro ever did as AD

Yeah. I've felt that way since the LSU game last year. 

And I so glad basketball season is here as well.

4 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

And he has lost all but one of those bowls. The only one he has won was The Birmingham Bowl vs Memphis. 

Again. Gus is an above average coach, not a great coach. Did you read the whole post, or just look for something to criticize?

1 hour ago, OnthePlains said:

Uh oh, don’t ruin my perception of 64 now. Hes at  least my 3rd favorite head in the sand Gus lover on here.

itss not the sand where has his head if he is happy with dawber

Just now, AUFriction said:

Again. Gus is an above average coach, not a great coach. Did you read the whole post, or just look for something to criticize?

We’re pretty much just looking for something to criticize 

4 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

He doesn’t do therapy! Damn you lower IQ people! He is a CLINICAL psychologist! Geez folks...

I have no idea what your point is, and I’m not sure why you are acting so rude. I’m simply bringing my expertise to the board while dispelling any myth about being some idiot.

Just now, AUFriction said:

I have no idea what your point is, and I’m not sure why you are acting so rude. I’m simply bringing my expertise to the board while dispelling any myth about being some idiot.

And god do we thank you for your “expertise”. 

Just now, OnthePlains said:

We’re pretty much just looking for something to criticize 

Why? Forgive me, but that seems really childish and pointless. I thought this was a place to talk about our beloved school, not act like children.

1 minute ago, AUFriction said:

Why? Forgive me, but that seems really childish and pointless. I thought this was a place to talk about our beloved school, not act like children.

Nah, its a place to act like kids...

or brag about your personal credentials as if they actually have any bearing on talking football.

either one is good. 

2 hours ago, AUFriction said:

PhD in Psychology and have published papers on human motivation.

The circumstances of this season are really not surprising given the ridiculous expectations of the fans and how pooorly we reacted to the LSU loss.

How do the fans have unrealistic expectations when our head coach says things like "Our goal is the SEC Championship" and then follows it up in a locker room speech to the team after beating Washington by saying "That's a really good football team you just beat.  And you may see them again, so be ready."  (He's referencing the playoffs here.)

Also, most fans, while angry, got over the LSU relatively quickly because we were still very much in the race.  Don't forget too that many folks were/are blaming the refs more for that loss than coaches.  It was the MSU and UT losses that created the real frustration because they are vastly inferior teams on a talent scale.

But here's the problem in your argument as I see it.  It's not on the fans to motivate the team.  Fans show up on Saturday and cheer.  That's it.  Outside of chance encounters, we spend zero time with the players and coaches.  Hell, one of our captains (D. Davis) said he was happy that fans are mad because it shows they care.

You gotta come with something way better if you want people to buy into what you're selling.

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

How do the fans have unrealistic expectations when our head coach says things like "Our goal is the SEC Championship" and then follows it up in a locker room speech to the team after beating Washington by saying "That's a really good football team you just beat.  And you may see them again, so be ready."  (He's referencing the playoffs here.)

Also, most fans, while angry, got over the LSU relatively quickly because we were still very much in the race.  Don't forget too that many folks were/are blaming the refs more for that loss than coaches.  It was the MSU and UT losses that created the real frustration because they are vastly inferior teams on a talent scale.

But here's the problem in your argument as I see it.  It's not on the fans to motivate the team.  Fans show up on Saturday and cheer.  That's it.  Outside of chance encounters, we spend zero time with the players and coaches.  Hell, one of our captains (D. Davis) said he was happy that fans are mad because it shows they care.

You gotta come with something way better if you want people to buy into what you're selling.

Well stated 

37 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

I’m a sports psychologist, not a clinical psychologist. I don’t do therapy. I do research, and publish it in research journals. I also consult with teams and companies to improve motivation and morale.

... which is why I made my original point that you guys really don’t understand how human motivation works.

Why does a rocket company employ a sports psychologist?

Here you go @OnthePlains

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

I JUST WANT FOOTBALLS VERSION OF BRUCE PEARL AS OUR HEAD COACH!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE THAT IS ALL I ASK!!!!!!!! A coach who is easy to love and the whole fanbase can wrap their arms around. The last 2 coaches especially have made that really really hard to do and downright impossible. IDK how Gus has the unabashed fans he does on here who will defend him at every turn because the man is one of the most unlikeable people in all of college football. 

I don't think this will ever happen.  Football is taken way too seriously at AU and the expectations will always be higher for some than others (8 wins and beating Bama is fine crowd vs championship or bust crowd). 

With hoops, we all pretty much agree that having a coach where we might make the tournament somewhat consistently is freaking great.

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

First of all, welcome to the 21st century. It isn’t and shouldn’t be the job of fans to motivate the team. But fan impressions and feelings are everywhere now. All players have to do is open a web browser. Coaches try to shield players from it, but they can’t stop players from getting on the internet. Second, I doesn’t matter how quickly we got over it. We reacted very strongly to that loss. We acted like our chance at the championship was over. Folks were saying our line is trash, we have no good running backs, Stidham doesn’t belong in this offense, and lots of other wrong criticism: Im sure the players heard it, and, if they did, they’d probably be affected by it. Third, that line by Davis felt very political. What else is he going to say there? “Shut up fans. We’re trying.” “Our fans’ expectations are obnoxious.” Something like that would have gotten him in trouble.

I’m certainly not getting in the middle of this but I will say some of you really know how to suck the fun out of a comeback win😬.  I truly think we can’t stay on the field with Georgia or Bama this year (I’m trying to think of a way where I can’t even check the Bama score) so I want to really enjoy this. I’m tired of the coaching drama, but in the 40 years I’ve followed AU, it is simply part of being an Auburn fan. Heard the Florida commentator on the radio talking yesterday about “28 years ago today #4 Auburn came into the swamp and we beat them 48-7”. I was at that game! It’s all part of living Auburn😎

Archived