Things I Think I Saw: Auburn vs Texas A&M

JMR

Coach, only from memory and antectodal evidence, I cannot remember a lot of very successful conversions of WR’s to DB’s at this level. Would you consider Noah’s transition a really good success? 

I enjoy your breakdowns every week. They are more then informative.

One of the things that really bothers is that it looks like on occasion some of the OLine with quickly make contact with the defender and then straighten up and get driven back or get little if any push.

Is that something that you also  see and if so can it be corrected?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, WDavE said:

I enjoy your breakdowns every week. They are more then informative.

One of the things that really bothers is that it looks like on occasion some of the OLine with quickly make contact with the defender and then straighten up and get driven back or get little if any push.

Is that something that you also  see and if so can it be corrected?

Thanks!

If you watch carefully, most of our linemen stop their feet once they make contact, and try to push the defender with their back, rather than their legs. That may work eventually, but when your feet stop, you stop. And when you stop, so does the inertia you started when you left your stance. By the time you can re-start your forward motion, it’s too late. I have no idea why that is happening, nor why it hasn’t been corrected. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JMR said:

If you watch carefully, most of our linemen stop their feet once they make contact, and try to push the defender with their back, rather than their legs. That may work eventually, but when your feet stop, you stop. And when you stop, so does the inertia you started when you left your stance. By the time you can re-start your forward motion, it’s too late. I have no idea why that is happening, nor why it hasn’t been corrected. 

When you say it that way, is that a byproduct of running RPOs? The OL are being coached like that to avoid the ineligible receiver penalty?

1 hour ago, OnthePlains said:

Coach, only from memory and antectodal evidence, I cannot remember a lot of very successful conversions of WR’s to DB’s at this level. Would you consider Noah’s transition a really good success? 

I don’t recall a lot of such conversions either. Noah is a terrific athlete, and he has made the switch better than I would have expected. His only drawback is his height. Can’t be more than 5-10 at most, so he is at a disadvantage against today’s big receivers. Great kid, though, and getting better every week  

2 minutes ago, selias said:

When you say it that way, is that a byproduct of running RPOs? The OL are being coached like that to avoid the ineligible receiver penalty?

Could be. I hadn’t considered that. 

I've noticed that when we go to max protect and send three receivers out, they run the same routes, normally 10, 15 or 20 yard button hooks or one cut routes.  This makes it easy for 6 or 7 man zones to cover them.  Shouldn't we be running routes to divide the zones at different levels and/or across the field? 

Our route combinations and complimentary routes are a huge drawback to our passing game. The drag route to Ryan Davis was a glaring exception. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the analysis …..always good to see commentary from someone who watches the details and does not just look for the deficiencies. Lots of young guys on the field for AU and many of them are developing through the season …..and I like to see some recognition for their effort and progress. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JMR said:

Our route combinations and complimentary routes are a huge drawback to our passing game. The drag route to Ryan Davis was a glaring exception. 

Yep.  And we ran it one time in the TAMU game.  We run it from the same formation and personnel package as with many of our plays.   It doesn't take a genius DC to see that. 

5 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Yep.  And we ran it one time in the TAMU game.  We run it from the same formation and personnel package as with many of our plays.   It doesn't take a genius DC to see that. 

Seems we have too many "packages" on the offense for guys who have some special "skill" so every time the opposition sees them on the field, the only have a limited number of situations to defend.  AU nailed them on one of those plays where Davis made the pass.....and Willis handed off instead of keeping but mostly when certain combinations are on the field, there are not many surprises.  

For a few years we could run the ball without resorting to trickery....let Tre just power it ahead behind a couple of road graders...but surely don't have that now.    Maybe a time for more window dressing, some trickery and the ability to run a variety of plays without having to send in a different group of players. 

• Like 1

• WarTiger changed the title to Things I Think I Saw: Auburn vs Texas A&M
31 minutes ago, JMR said:

The drag route to Ryan Davis was a glaring exception. 

I still wonder if somebody on the offensive staff was watching the broadcast and saw Huard draw it on the telestrater. 

Seriously. 

• Like 3

• RunInRed featured and pinned this topic

Interesting about the RPO aspect with the linemen. They just seem to lose all concentration and technique at times.

Honestly they seem a little physically small when compared to the A&M oline. I am not sure of  Ryan Russel’s strategy, but we may need to push for more brute strength IMO.

considering the Hurry up offense is the way we scored  why isnt it instituted more often?  I know they say we gotta get a 1st down to start it but  with as many 3 - outs  why not hit the button and force the defense to play on their heels

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JMR said:

Could be. I hadn’t considered that. 

Good RPOs should be very quick plays. The NFL can run RPOs where the OL downfield rules are much tighter.

Our most popular RPO last year was the inside zone running play combined with a WR bubble screen, targeting the inside defender (Nickle or SLB). In that case, the pass is completed behind the LOS and there is no OL downfield to worry about. We did have another variant where the WR went several yards downfield.

The most popular RPO is the inside zone running play combined with the #2 WR on an inside slant, targeting the inside LB. Georgia and Bama both run this one a lot. We have run it some, but not much. This one should happen very fast, because the ILB is in a narrow field of view for the QB. I would argue it is a quicker read than the inside zone read option on the backside DE.

My problem with both of these for Auburn this year is they require the OL to successfully execute the inside zone, and this year we simply can't. At least with the traditional inside zone read option, we leave one first-level defender unblocked. The RPOs all target second level defenders.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for your analysis.  Great information as always.  I don’t recall many games where we got outplayed that badly and still found a way to pull it out.

What's happened to the defense that was playing lights out earlier in the season?  Did the toil get to be too much?  I know we are missing an elite 3rd down edge rusher but all the other pieces appeared to be in place.  We're going to have to hold thUGA to 28 or fewer points.  We got that left in the tank?

Hey coach, what’s with all these offensive AU players getting trucked  this year ? I  have never seen anything like it. Soft practice,soft players or what? I bet Pat Dye would’ve gone crazy over this!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, beagle34 said:

Hey coach, what’s with all these offensive AU players getting trucked  this year ? I  have never seen anything like it. Soft practice,soft players or what? I bet Pat Dye would’ve gone crazy over this!

It has mainly been the running backs. With a Kam Martin or Shivers, I can understand it. But with Miller and Whitlow, I see no reason for it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JMR said:

It has mainly been the running backs. With a Kam Martin or Shivers, I can understand it. But with Miller and Whitlow, I see no reason for it. 

I think Whitlow has improved as the year has gone on. He is beginning to step into the oncoming D-Linemen as opposed to waiting for the D-Linemen to hit him. Good coaching should help with that. As technique really helps there. I was impressed with Whitlow as I don't think he was really healthy but he is a gamer.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2018 at 5:02 PM, JMR said:

Im glad to hear someone else recognizes this. My question is why is this not being addressed in the film evaluations?

17 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

Im glad to hear someone else recognizes this. My question is why is this not being addressed in the film evaluations?

Cause we have lousy coaches??