Chandler Cox on spiking the ball

aubiefifty

Why Chandler Cox decided to spike the ball after his touchdown

Updated 8:19 AM; Posted 8:19 AM

Chandler Cox scored a crucial touchdown on Saturday and celebrated in style. (Todd Van Emst/Auburn Athletics)

0 shares

By Sam Blum | SBlum@al.com

SBlum@al.com

After Auburn football cut the Texas A&M lead down to just three points with 5:14 left to play in Saturday’s comeback win, it was on a one-yard touchdown run from Chandler Cox. That’s the normal go-to play in that situation — line everyone up, and give just a little space for the senior fullback.

What happened afterward wasn’t totally normal. Cox decided to spike the ball — a move he noted was somewhat out of character, but that he didn’t regret.

“It was on the sideline,” Cox said of when he decided to do it. “I was like, ‘If I score, I’m gonna spike the ball a little bit, and just have fun.' This the second to last time I’m in Jordan-Hare, I’m a senior this is it. I was like, 'If I get in trouble with the coaches, I’ve got something I’m gonna remember for the rest of my life. And I want that.”

Cox has been one of the more upbeat public presences around Auburn football during a trying season — preaching team unity amid losses. The game on Saturday looked to be another example of a time he would have to make light of a difficult loss. It still was one of the worst rushing performances in Auburn history — with a net of 19 yards marking the fewest since 2000.

But Cox only had one carry, for one, very productive yard. It was the third time this season he’s carried the ball. All three have gone for one yard and two have resulted in touchdowns. On the season — receiving and rushing — he has a total of 93 yards and three touchdowns.

In what might have been his final touchdown in Jordan-Hare Stadium, he decided not to hold back.

“They always say, don’t celebrate, celebrate with your teammates,” Cox said. “I had to show a little bit of celebration.”

Just because this references the play Cox scored on:

I'm suuuper glad we scored there, and got just enough blocking for him to find his way in because as soon as we lind up after the sugar huddle TAMU knew exactly who was getting the ball and where he was going. So glad we scored...SO glad.

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

Just because this references the play Cox scored on:

I'm suuuper glad we scored there, and got just enough blocking for him to find his way in because as soon as we lind up after the sugar huddle TAMU knew exactly who was getting the ball and where he was going. So glad we scored...SO glad.

I think the whole stadium knows what the play is going to be after a sugar huddle. I called that play from my couch. It's always a toss out of the sugar huddle. 

2 minutes ago, GTNupe11 said:

I think the whole stadium knows what the play is going to be after a sugar huddle. I called that play from my couch. It's always a toss out of the sugar huddle. 

Yup. The D shifted to the side we ran it to and everything. What the hell is the point of the sugar huddle if everyone knows what we will do out of it?

One I am super glad that he spiked the ball as he said it might be his last score in Jordan Hare.  As for knowing where the play was going his blocking was great on that one play he only got about 1 yard into the goal because he dove with full force in case somebody was in the hole but instead he hit  the linebacker in the leg who had not gotten to the hole because of the solid blocking. If he had run in standing up he would have gone a lot further but that play is designed to score and that is why he dove in to be sure.  It was one of the few plays where the O-line on a run play  executed exactly as they were supposed to.

5 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Yup. The D shifted to the side we ran it to and everything. What the hell is the point of the sugar huddle if everyone knows what we will do out of it?

This is one of the few times I agree with Gus. Sometimes you just have to execute. If you block your man at the point of attach you score, There was no penetration and there was a hole. So what if they know it is coming they still have to stop it.  In the Miss. State game we knew what play they were going to run over and over but we didn't stop it.

1 minute ago, AuburnNTexas said:

This is one of the few times I agree with Gus. Sometimes you just have to execute. If you block your man at the point of attach you score, There was no penetration and there was a hole. So what if they know it is coming they still have to stop it.  In the Miss. State game we knew what play they were going to run over and over but we didn't stop it.

When 95% of your plays are easily identifiable before the ball is snapped you're absolutely putting your offense, and ability to get wins, at a big disadvantage.

Also, this may be one of the few times all season we won the battle up front to get 1 yard in a short yardage situation. I wouldn't bank on this, with this putrid OL. JMO

Glad as hell this particular play worked because I'm not sure we would've gotten in at all if not for this play.

15 minutes ago, Tiger said:

When 95% of your plays are easily identifiable before the ball is snapped you're absolutely putting your offense, and ability to get wins, at a big disadvantage.

Also, this may be one of the few times all season we won the battle up front to get 1 yard in a short yardage situation. I wouldn't bank on this, with this putrid OL. JMO

Glad as hell this particular play worked because I'm not sure we would've gotten in at all if not for this play.

And how much better short yardage situations can work with the QB under center, not lined up in the shotgun. 

2 minutes ago, Auburn Kev said:

And how much better short yardage situations can work with the QB under center, not lined up in the shotgun. 

Yup, we actually ran a QB sneak for a 1st down once this year for the first time with Gus controlling the O.

7 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Someone really asked Cox and wrote a article about him spiking the ball on a TD? :rollin:

Auburn football 2018 lol

When the HC gives the verbal equivalent of paint drying I can see why the beat writers have to go above and beyond to find things to write about 

Who gives a flying ****? He could've punted the ball, I don't care. But I guess there are people on this board that would care so I guess that means there are people in the fan base that cares and I've seen people bash players for less.....but to write anarticle though smh.....we really do suck

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

What the hell is the point of the sugar huddle if everyone knows what we will do out of it?

Because Gus has to keep showing something unique, something no one else does, that no one will see coming. 

Gus wants to be like a TV magician, relishing that moment of suspense just before the trick happens.

40 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Because Gus has to keep showing something unique, something no one else does, that no one will see coming. 

Gus wants to be like a TV magician, relishing that moment of suspense just before the trick happens.

Gus in his office prepping for Saturdays:

giphy.gif

End of year always saddens me a little. Seeing the men who aren't going pro hanging it up for good, most of whom have been grinding it out since pee-wee. Spike the damn ball Chandler. War Eagle.

If we’d been flagged 15 on kickoff I’d be pissed. Like I’m still pissed At Ben Tate. But the end of this game made me forget it. I agree. Nothing worth writing this article. 

2 hours ago, alexava said:

If we’d been flagged 15 on kickoff I’d be pissed. Like I’m still pissed At Ben Tate. But the end of this game made me forget it. I agree. Nothing worth writing this article. 

I thought about that too with a penalty. The way they like flagging us I'm surprised it didn't happen. 

He said he did it on the sideline, not in the endzone. I don't think there is a rule against doing it away from the field

45 minutes ago, Tiger said:

He said he did it on the sideline, not in the endzone. I don't think there is a rule against doing it away from the field

He decided to do it on the sideline.  He spiked it right after the TD.

37 minutes ago, The Freak said:

He decided to do it on the sideline.  He spiked it right after the TD.

At the risk of beating a deceased equine, it puzzles me that this senior leader would toy with a penalty when we need all the help we can get. And it was PREMEDITATED. 

Archived