My Thoughts From the Stadium (Texas A&M)

abw0004

Good morning all,

I hope this finds everyone in good spirits.  It has been a while since I have had the opportunity to post this thread, and hard to believe I will only have one more in the regular season.  For whatever reason I thought for the second home game in a row "It's too cold for me to get sunburned."  Well, the joke is on me because I don't tan, I just straight up burn.  You can see a clear imprint of where my sunglasses sit on my face.  Let's get this week off to a great start.

Military Appreciation Weekend:  I believe this is a fine place to start.  As most of you know, this game was the military appreciation game.  In all honesty, every home game feels like a military appreciation game the way Auburn honors the military.  It is a welcome sight and makes me proud of our outstanding ROTC program.  This game was no different.  Every break was honoring another veteran and was just a cool thing to be a part of.  The Auburn marching band also played their part in honoring the armed services.  Texas A&M's band was just a fun band to watch.  It was very old school, and fun to watch since it just is not seen anymore.  The precision required to pull off their sets is one that take a lot of practice.  And of course you could not start this game without a flyover!

Texas A&M Fans:  From the beginning of their introduction to the SEC, Texas A&M fans has always been pleasant to be around.  VERY loud, and this is an understatement, but respectful.  How they synchronize their swaying between the third and fourth quarters is definitely something to watch.  I welcome back their fan base anytime.

Defense:  This game was one that our defense really needed the offense to prop them up until they got their act together.  Everything just seemed out of rhythm.  They did step up in the fourth quarter when needed though.  When everyone else seemed to have given up, the defense stood in defiance and would not give in.  For those that questioned Steele this past week with his contract details, I will never understand that.  Where Steele and his coaches have taken our defense from 2014 is so progressive it isn't even funny.  The developmental side of the program is mind boggling.  We have true freshmen out there playing like veterans.  This is showing in our recruiting too.  Pay Steele what it takes to retain him.

Offense:  Well there is not much else to say about this offense.  The rush attack was simply not there.  I was very pleased with how the offensive line bought time for Stidham to make the throws.  I felt like they improved in this area, but did not improve in the run game.  Tega next year should be a beast for us.  I no longer watch him closely to see if he holds up because, to me, he appears to hold his own now.

4th Quarter:  I feel like this needed it's own paragraph.  Many had given up on Auburn.  Fans were starting to leave.  The air was just sucked out of the stadium.  And then the interception happened.  At that time I was still a little weary as the offense still needed to do something.  All of the sudden the light kicked on for our offense.  The engine turned over and redlined.  Stidham looked like his old self and we just marched down the field, twice.  Seth Williams' catch was near where I have my seats and it felt like it happened in slow motion.  It appeared Seth knew the whole time he was catching it.  It honestly looked like he was just catching a football in practice, that is was nothing.  This guy is going to be a stud.  It was a feeling I have not felt all year to be honest.  It was a good feeling.  That Auburn was not going to be denied.  I walked out of that game feeling better than I have in a long time.

Moving Forward:  As I said in another thread, maybe it is the eternal optimist in me, maybe it is still the excitement I felt from the 4th quarter that has not quite worn off yet.  I genuinely believe we can win the Georgia game, in Athens.  Before you clutch your heart and feel like "This is it!" thinking you are having a heart attack, hear me out.  I have watched all of Georgia's games this year.  They have really struggled, and do not pull away until late in the game.  LSU dominated them.  Yes they did soundly beat Kentucky, but this Kentucky team also lost to Texas A&M.  I can't describe it, but I just have a feeling this Auburn team will be ready for the task.

And here we are, bowl eligible, and going into my favorite week of the year.  I have had Georgia circled on my calendar all year.  Those from Georgia will understand my plight against that school.  It is time to put our best foot forward and see what we are really made of.  And by the way, :wareagle:.

I’ll add a couple things from inside the stadium.  The amount of terrible sunburns I saw were in the 100s if not thousands.  A lot of people woke up Sunday hurting a little bit.  It was pretty obvious sitting in the north end zone that a lot of fans had zero faith in winning this game from the onset.  The stadium sat on their hands for most of the game and after Auburn didn’t do anything with that missed field goal the mass exodus began.  That being said after the Int that stadium was rocking and rolling to the very end.  I don’t think it would be too much to say the noise was getting to Mond toward the end.   I sat next to the Texas A&M section and their band is really great.  They are playing or chanting the entire game which is kind of annoying when you’re losing but definitely a cool thing to see.  It makes me wish Auburn had more organized cheers.  How great would it be to have the whole stadium chanting pushem back after penalties?  Good way to end the SEC home schedule after that disappointing lose to UT at home earlier.

Also of note on they very last play after A&M had to come out of the locker room and back for one last play. Did anyone notice only 3 D lineman were able to penetrate their O-line and sack the QB in style. 3.....  I wish they played like this every down. I know motivation was a key, but those three guys charged through that line like a knife through butter. It was such a sweet ending to a ridiculous call....

It was great revenge for that horrible pass interference call when there was no contact between the players.... just air.   Looked like the same O-crew from the LSU game.  

I think we can beat Georgia too. LSU got 4 turnovers that helped them out but if we can manage 2 turnovers, I think we can do the same. We shall see. :)

I love that Instagram pic. I know a lot on here hate Malzahn but his players have not stopped playing for him.  He is a tough one to figure out and I’m never sure how I feel one day to the next about him, but this is s feel good moment no matter what.

21 hours ago, BJCrawford said:

I love that Instagram pic. I know a lot on here hate Malzahn but his players have not stopped playing for him.  He is a tough one to figure out and I’m never sure how I feel one day to the next about him, but this is s feel good moment no matter what.

This was the most impressive part to me. The fact that he manages to hold on to the team in moments like this one and in 2015 is crazy to me.

I'm so perplexed by everything with him.

I'm proud of the team for sticking in there and playing to win and I feel like if Gus wins 1 of UGA/Bama then his job is safe and in my opinion, should be (for one more year at least).

Archived