Pat Dye - Are we man enough

corchjay

In remembrance of Pat Dye calling out UGA saying they weren’t man enough to beat Bama...

Are we man enough to beat UGA?

I really think the more physical yet disciplined team wins this game.

WDE!

1 minute ago, The Freak said:

You realize that UGA is more physical and more disciplined, right?

I didn’t realize that.  I’ve seen both play and granted the LSU game is what I remember the most and LSU pushed their face in.  Seem to remember Mizz dominated both LOS but melted in special teams and penalties but granted I haven’t watched all of UGA

I definitely think Auburn is man enough.  They will have to play with smarts as much as physicality.  #1 stop the run and make Jake from State Fromm beat us.  #2 play with tempo and keep the defense off balance.  It’s amazing how much better the offense is when they aren’t subbing and allowing the defense to dictate the speed and set up their defense correctly.

24 minutes ago, corchjay said:

FWIW, the refs won’t have any of Auburn titty bumping, much less getting physical with our opponents. 

I think Auburn's defense is man and physical enough. Not so sure about our oline though. They have been straight bullied, way too many times this year. I haven't seen anything that would indicate that our front 5 is up to the task of getting physical with the big boys of the SEC. 

You gotta pass to set up the run at this point. The O line is incapable of getting a push against the top half of SEC defenses. Let Stidham throw a good bit and use the most talented part of our offense and then see some running lanes open up. No way we can try to line up and get positive yards on the ground with our standard inside zone.

Defense? Sure we’re man enough. Give them some momentum to work with and they’ll play more than well enough to win. Just don’t think it’ll be enough. Got to have the best game offensively of the season. I’m not betting on it but I’ll be cheering hard nonetheless.

Yes, I do believe we are man enough. If our defense plays with the level of intensity they played with in the final 10 minutes this week, they are man enough for sure. If Gus lets the offense go fast paced air raid, we will put enough on the board to win. WDE!

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

In remembrance of Pat Dye calling out UGA saying they weren’t man enough to beat Bama...

WDE!

If that's your measuring stick, then Auburn gets trounced. They were neither of things against Texas A&M -- 19 yards rushing is the very opposite -- before some mind-numbing decisions by the Aggie staff and the clock forced Auburn out of its plan so they inexplicably edged A&M. Auburn has been the antithesis of "physical and disciplined" for nine games. 

WDE!

I’ve been hoping that he would call out Auburn in this manner.  

WDE!

Well then we will lose. That is not who we are this year at all, at least on offense. That is our problem. You sound like the coach who has been trying to get his terrible Oline to be more physical and run the ball when really they should be passing... square peg in a round hole... Why not Play to the strengths of the team? At this point do you really think that being a physical ground and pound offense is an Auburn strength? Or would we do better to go 4 wide and throw it 45 times? We had six 3 and outs in that game and we ran the ball of first down most of the time (like always). We are dead last in the SEC in rushing. That is not going to work. Of course passing every down may cause JS to be sacked 15 times but we have no other choice at this point. That is our strength, good or bad. 

I will agree with you when it comes to penalties and turnovers. If we turn the ball over, we will lose badly. Penalties are coming. We all know it, even before the game. Even if we do not actually do anything, we are getting a penalty. And God help us if we have to go to replay on a crucial call. 

What would it hurt to go straight Steve Spurrier fun and gun? What do we have to lose at this point?

19 yards rushing vs A&M.

2 hours ago, corchjay said:

I didn’t realize that. 

This oline has been man-handled to an extreme that I haven't seen in over decade.  The running game has been ineffective by AU standards - special teams is inconsistent.  And that come from behind Win they pulled out of their arse in JHS on Saturday won't translate to a hostile environment in Athens vs UGA.  

JMHO

2 hours ago, Win4AU said:

#2 play with tempo and keep the defense off balance.  It’s amazing how much better the offense is when they aren’t subbing and allowing the defense to dictate the speed and set up their defense correctly.

Yes, but will Gus actually LET the O do this?  I don't think so. I believe we've seen about all the gusto-Gus we are going to see this year.

If the offense doesn’t turn the ball over and give the game away on a silver platter, the game will be won or lost by the defense.   Which is what should have been the strength of this years team.   Unfortunately, the defense has not been there during the times where it was needed most.   The offense was not the strength of this years team and unfortunately the the qb play has been below average. 

So we have had two common opponents. UT was a coaching fluke in my opinion but uga didn’t blow them away they won by 20. Against LSU the coached gave the game away at the end playing to conservative. And LSU kicked uga’s Butt 36-16 if memory serves me. So the answer to the OP is yes they are man enough. If the coach can find a way to get out of his ( and the teams) own way then I think we have a shot. Uga defense has actually been somewhat bad at TFL . And our D leads the league and 4 th in the country in getting TFL. My prediction is we win a close one much like TAM coming from behind in the 4 th.

10 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

If the offense doesn’t turn the ball over and give the game away on a silver platter, the game will be won or lost by the defense.   Which is what should have been the strength of this years team.   Unfortunately, the defense has not been there during the times where it was needed most.   The offense was not the strength of this years team and unfortunately the the qb play has been below average. 

Time of possession.  Defense gets tired eventually.

124 auburn.17.pngAuburn 9 238 26
125 san-jose-st.17.pngSan Jose St. 9 238 26
126 ucf.17.pngUCF 8 208 26
127 south-carolina.17.pngSouth Carolina 8 202 25
128 new-mexico-st.17.pngNew Mexico St. 10 249 25
129 houston.17.pngHouston 9 220 24

the team? absolutely can man up and do it. the head coach, well scattered, covered and smothered should just about do it.

37 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Time of possession.  Defense gets tired eventually.

124 auburn.17.pngAuburn 9 238 26
125 san-jose-st.17.pngSan Jose St. 9 238 26
126 ucf.17.pngUCF 8 208 26
127 south-carolina.17.pngSouth Carolina 8 202 25
128 new-mexico-st.17.pngNew Mexico St. 10 249 25
129 houston.17.pngHouston 9 220 24

Totally understand, however some games and they are getting tired in the first and second quarter?

5 hours ago, The Freak said:

You realize that UGA is more physical and more disciplined, right?

I agree. Our D front 7 is man enough for them , but our O Line and tailbacks just are not good enough against a top 10 team. And our QB seems to be afraid of getting hit, even softly. We are a very undisciplined O! That has been evident in almost every game this year. But, I am not saying we can't pull out an upset, I just don't have much faith it will happen. I see it GA- 39  AU-  20.  I so hope I am wrong though. We just aren't a well coached team. 

2 hours ago, cctiger said:

Yes, but will Gus actually LET the O do this?  I don't think so. I believe we've seen about all the gusto-Gus we are going to see this year.

Would Gus actually let the offense go fast?  He brought fast to Auburn in 2009 and then again in 2013.  He even wrote a book about going fast so yes I think Gus will let the offense go tempo.

27 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Totally understand, however some games and they are getting tired in the first and second quarter?

Scoring Defense.  So you're saying we need to be better?

1 uab.17.pngUAB 9 15 13 0 0 2 0 109 12.1
2 mississippi-st.17.pngMississippi St. 9 9 9 0 0 16 0 111 12.3
- fresno-st.17.pngFresno St. 9 12 10 1 0 9 0 111 12.3
4 clemson.17.pngClemson 9 14 12 0 0 8 0 120 13.3
5 michigan.17.pngMichigan 9 16 14 0 0 4 0 122 13.6
6 cincinnati.17.pngCincinnati 9 15 15 0 0 7 0 126 14.0
7 alabama.17.pngAlabama 9 16 16 0 0 5 0 127 14.1
8 kentucky.17.pngKentucky 9 17 15 0 0 7 0 138 15.3
9 washington.17.pngWashington 10 18 13 0 0 13 0 160 16.0
10 georgia.17.pngGeorgia 9 17 14 1 0 10 0 148 16.4
11 lsu.17.pngLSU 9 19 15 0 0 7 0 150 16.7
12 appalachian-st.17.pngAppalachian St. 8 15 15 0 0 10 0 135 16.9
13 auburn.17.pngAuburn 9 14 13 0 0 19 1 156

Scoring Offense.

68 coastal-caro.17.pngCoastal Caro. 9 33 28 0 0 11 0 259 28.8
69 oregon-st.17.pngOregon St. 9 34 31 1 0 7 0 258 28.7
70 marshall.17.pngMarshall 8 29 28 0 0 8 1 228 28.5
71 maryland.17.pngMaryland 9 34 34 0 0 6 0 256 28.4
- middle-tenn.17.pngMiddle Tenn. 9 33 29 1 0 9 0 256 28.4
- unlv.17.pngUNLV 9 35 32 0 0 4 1 256 28.4
74 auburn.17.pngAuburn 9 32 30 0 0 11 0 255

We've reached that point in the year where it's a waste of time to discuss stats because everyone has already picked a side and won't change their mind no matter what stares them in the face.  Two legs bad, Gus good.

9 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Would Gus actually let the offense go fast?  He brought fast to Auburn in 2009 and then again in 2013.  He even wrote a book about going fast so yes I think Gus will let the offense go tempo.

2009&13....hmmmm wrote a book on fast too. Where's that been in 2018 outside the latter of the A&M game?  Hope you are right 4.

Archived