2020 4* WR JJ Evans Commits to AU!!!

ellitor

• Early offers from AU, Alabama, Clemson, Miss St, USC and Tennessee, among others.
  • Only WR in the state who has more yards than current commitment Ja'Varrius Johnson
  • Must read story

• Like 2

Surging 2020 WR J.J. Evans snags pair of SEC offers

By John Garcia Jr

To say JJ Evans is having a dynamite season or early recruitment would be corny, but it would be an understatement, too.

The Montevallo (Ala.) junior wide receiver is in position to set the new state of Alabama receiving record as soon as Friday night as playoff competition for the Bulldogs opens with Andalusia (Ala.) at home. The 6-foot-2, 185-pounder has put in monster effort after monster effort with 1,632 yards through 10 games. The state mark is just over 100 more (1,735), set by Rainbow City (Ala.) Westbrook Christian's Brandon Greer 20 years ago with Brodie Croyle getting him the football.

The breakout campaign has helped to ensure a tuition-free college career ahead for Evans. Tennessee offered Sunday evening and Auburn followed suit Monday morning to bring the total to double digits. USC, Mississippi State, Virginia, Memphis, Troy, UAB and others have also jumped in.

"The thing that has been most impressive about JJ this season is how he has kept his focus on the team," Montevallo head coach Brandon Wilcox told 247Sports. "His number one concern has not been catches, yards, or offers. He truly just wants to win the game.

"One of the things that has really set him apart in his recruitment, is the fact I can look a college coach in the eyes and talk about his character, work ethic, and coachability. There are a lot of talented guys walking around, but are you the type of guy that wants to please your coach? J.J. is one of those guys."

Evans, who came up as a running back and as a defensive back, has only played wide receiver since entering high school. 247Sports visited Montevallo last month and he admitted he grew up following the in-state program new to the offer list. When asked about the program's interest in him and at that point it was just materializing.

"I'm a big Auburn fan," he said. "I just grew up like that. My mom and my brother, we were all Auburn fans and my dad was an Alabama fan, so the rivalry was always fun."

Virginia is expected to host the emerging prospect this coming weekend alongside his family. Most trips won't be solo ventures for the junior as those close to him are critical factors in his life and certainly in his decision-making process.

"A family environment," he said of the ideal school. "When I go there I want it to feel like home, that's pretty much what I look for. I want it to be a throwing offense maybe, too."

247Sports currently rates Evans as a three-star prospect, ranked as a top 100 wide receiver and top 20 overall prospect in the state's class of 2020. He has yet to be rated or ranked by the industry-generated 247Sports Composite.

Wow, nice film and nice stats. I would say he probably needs to take adds off of his highlight video. Wouldn’t that technically be profiting off of your football career? Pretty sure a UCF kicker wasn’t allowed to profit off his YouTube channel in a NCAA ruling.

28 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Wow, nice film and nice stats. I would say he probably needs to take adds off of his highlight video. Wouldn’t that technically be profiting off of your football career? Pretty sure a UCF kicker wasn’t allowed to profit off his YouTube channel in a NCAA ruling.

I didn't see any ads FWIW.

It you are talking about the ones on the fences those are done by the high schools & the recruits have no say in that.

Edited by ellitor

Impressive film.  I haven't even heard of this kid before and he's kind of in my area.  Looks to be legit and probably will be rated higher after full evaluation especially if he hooks up with a  good 7v7 team next summer.  

He does everything right it looks like.  Good routes, Good hands, good speed, good explosiveness.  And on the video clip where he blocks on the return geez... How'd that poor kid get up after he blasted him.  

14 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Impressive film.  I haven't even heard of this kid before and he's kind of in my area.  Looks to be legit and probably will be rated higher after full evaluation especially if he hooks up with a  good 7v7 team next summer.  

He does everything right it looks like.  Good routes, Good hands, good speed, good explosiveness.  And on the video clip where he blocks on the return geez... How'd that poor kid get up after he blasted him.  

Also he has good size which helps on the field & in star ratings. I don't know that he has as much ratings potential as George but JJ could be the next 3* WR that could emerge as a major recruit. I would be surprised if one of the major B'Ham Region 7A powers doesn't nab him up for next season.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Also he has good size which helps on the field & in star ratings. I don't know that he has as much ratings potential as George but JJ could be the next 3* WR that could emerge as a major recruit. I would be surprised if one of the major B'Ham Region 7A powers doesn't nab him up for next season.

I'm sure Hoover will go after him.  It's only about 30 minutes away from Hoover... 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ellitor said:

I didn't see any ads FWIW.

It you are talking about the ones on the fences those are done by the high schools & the recruits have no say in that.

Huh, no I had an add before the video started which usually means the video is monetized. Might have been something weird on YouTube’s end.

11 hours ago, corchjay said:

I'm sure Hoover will go after him.  It's only about 30 minutes away from Hoover... 

More likely Thompson at this point. What's going on down there reminds me of the Rush Probst days at Hoover.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Huh, no I had an add before the video started which usually means the video is monetized. Might have been something weird on YouTube’s end.

Not a youtube video. It's HUDL & I've never seen an ad before a video from the. Regardless that would be a HUDL thing & not a recruit thing.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, bg5 said:

More likely Thompson at this point. What's going on down there reminds me of the Rush Probst days at Hoover.

All the big 4 in that region recruit.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

All the big 4 in that region recruit.

Correction every school in that region recruits not just the big 4. The ones I have personal knowledge of are Hoover, Thompson, Spain Park and Mt. Brook. But I have friends at Hewitt and Vestavia that say they do too.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bg5 said:

Correction every school in that region recruits not just the big 4. The ones I have personal knowledge of are Hoover, Thompson, Spain Park and Mt. Brook. But I have friends at Hewitt and Vestavia that say they do too.

I can't say anything. Prattville did with Bill Clark.

3 hours ago, bg5 said:

Vestavia?  If they're recruiting, Buddy Anderson ain't much of a recruiter.

• Like 1

On 11/6/2018 at 2:04 PM, tinman said:

Vestavia?  If they're recruiting, Buddy Anderson ain't much of a recruiter.

It's time for Vestavia to move on from Buddy Anderson... name the field the stadium the parking lot, 7 streets, and a few babies after him but all he is a trophy standing on the sidelines at this point.  Great coach years ago but the game has passed him by.  

On 11/6/2018 at 10:25 AM, bg5 said:

Only school in the region that I don't know that recruits is Tuscaloosa county... They have their own problems with Bryant and Northridge right there with them.  I think Bryant has the money in that area as well.  

Back to Evans.  Who's better him or EJ Williams?  @ellitor I know you know a lot more about the middle to southern schools then I do and Cole knows the north and north west pretty well.  

Edited by corchjay

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

Back to Evans.  Who's better him or EJ Williams?  @ellitor I know you know a lot more about the middle to southern schools then I do and Cole knows the north and north west pretty well.  

No clue. I’m not even sure I’ve watched film on EJ Williams. If I have it’s been a while and I don’t remember. Also the only game I would have seen him this year would’ve been their game against Prattville but since they bloodied Prattville as they have recently I didn’t care to watch it.  Also i usually don’t focus on the next class until the current class is signed.

Edited by ellitor
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

It's time for Vestavia to move on from Buddy Anderson... name the field the stadium the parking lot, 7 streets, and a few babies after him but all he is a trophy standing on the sidelines at this point.  Great coach years ago but the game has passed him by.  

Agree.  Have friends kids that played for him back in the day and he was a heck of a coach.  Not so much today.  Kinda stuck in the 80's & 90's.

• 3 months later...

15 minutes ago, ellitor said:

JJ Evans is tagged in the article. I like him a lot FWIW.

Do you like our chances Ellitor?  Thanks!

1 minute ago, doc4aday said:

Do you like our chances Ellitor?  Thanks!

The article title sounds like Keith does. He's where I get my opinions most of the time FWIW.

• ellitor changed the title to 2020 4* WR JJ Evans
11 minutes ago, ellitor said:

The article title sounds like Keith does. He's where I get my opinions most of the time FWIW.

He will definitely be a big get for us. I hope we are able to get our fair share of Alabama players for 2020. I really not overly concerned where they come from though as long as they want to be here and get a good education. I was looking at the majors of our players, and found that some were engineer majors of which speaks highly of the educational values of our players.

• Like 1