South Alabama (Preview/Review)

JwgreDeux

It is real basketball time. Even though we don't have a blockbuster opening night like Kentucky vs Duke, I'm still excited for tip-off.  Coming off an exhibition game full of teachable moments, we will try to take our first step towards back to back NCAA tourney appearances for the first time in a very long time. 

This season I will try to give some pregame thoughts and any post game thoughts that come to mind. I generally won't retread stuff the beat writers are already putting out there.

I gave most of my general thoughts on our team in my brief season preview, so there isn't a lot to add here as we get ready for South Alabama. Rumors sound like Wiley and Doughty are healing up well, and should be good to go by the Washington game, but likely out for opening night. I would expect to see the same starting five we saw in the exhibition, Harper, Brown, Dunbar, Okeke and McLemore and McCormick and Spenser as our first two players off the bench. What will be interesting is to see what Coach Pearl does when Dunbar needs a blow if Doughty is not ready to go, as our only other options are walk-ons. One thing we will need to do is stay out of foul trouble with such a short bench. 

I will be watching pretty much everything, to see how we look for the first time this year, but paying particular attention to McLemore and Okeke (and of course Doughty if he is a go). I hope to see Harper and Brown pick up where they left off and Okeke to replace Heron as Mr. Consistency. I think Okeke can be a 13 pt, 8 boards, 4 assist guy night in and night out. Unlike last year, I think we have a pretty good idea what we can expect out of our tigers. Dunbar is the only question mark as far as healthy returners go. I'd like to see him fill the role vacated by Murray. Bring toughness, rebound and make hustle plays all while giving us 7pts, 5 boards, and an assist or two. 

The good news for South Alabama is they get everyone back. The bad news for South Alabama is they get everyone back.  They just were not very good, couldn't shoot, defend or rebound particularly well. They have a new coach who I'm sure will give them a bit of a jolt, but I suspect Lincoln-Memorial would beat them on a neutral floor.  I'm not sure if there will be a betting line on this game (wasn't last time I checked), but I'd put it around 17.5 (maybe more). I'd expect us to play up tempo, turn them over a lot, and run them out of the gym with 4-5 guys in double digits. 

Ready for some round ball. War Eagle. 

Thoughts post-game:

The defense was outstanding. The pressure, the energy, the blocks, the steals, outstanding. 

The chemistry with Doughty is better than I expected.  He fit right in without pressing, let the game come to him and was very efficient.  

Harper looked fantastic.  He is clearly in charge and embracing that role. His offensive skills speak for themselves, but his passing and vision were particularly on display. If he plays like that all season we are in for something special.  

McLemore looked good. His stats suggest he is 100%, but my eyes say more like 95%. 

McCormick is a capabale backup for Harper and played the Two quite a bit as well. I don’t think we will see him at the 2 much once Purifoy comes back, but for now that was interesting to see. 

We played a micro (smaller than small) lineup twice last night, with Harper, McCormick, Brown, Dunbar and McLemore. 

Ball movement was very crisp for this early in the season, the number of assists reflect that. So does the number of guys in double figures. 

Okeke has taken his game to another level. He is leaner and more aggressive, and not just offensively. It was good to see him be more assertive. 

I haven’t done a thorough review of all stat lines, but we are ahead of where I expected us to be, as far as the eye test goes. I still have my reservations about chemistry when Wiley and Purifoy return, but tonight was a great performance. 

War Eagle !!!

is the gae going to be broadcast? what time etc?

9 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

is the gae going to be broadcast? what time etc?

8pm Central on SEC Network 

51 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:
Line: AUB -20.0
O/U: 158

Probably the news that Doughty was a go pushed it a bit higher. Good news for us for sure. While we are clearly the better team here, I wouldn't be surprised to see rust on Doughty's part, new line up configurations, and new role adjustment keep the game under and South get the cover.

Game plan is pretty simple. Stop 14 (Roderick Sikes) and no one else is capable of scoring enough to have them keep pace with us. That dude is the only capable scorer on their team.

2 minutes ago, Gene Loblaw said:

Fast forward me into the future please. I’m so fuggin hyped

cammy.gif

May i join in on the hyped train!!!!   READY!!!  I hope the guys will not be too amped up tonight and will be relaxed...       I would like to Anthony comfortable underneath and leaping with that authority he had last year......  He will be an important part with Wiley and Horace...  Also what a thrill it must be for McCormick to come from Lee College and be playing at AU....  Being a COG man  (I went to the COGOP school there at Cleveland years ago in 1978)  i know he will be nervous to step in the big time...

3 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Game plan is pretty simple. Stop 14 (Roderick Sikes) and no one else is capable of scoring enough to have them keep pace with us. That dude is the only capable scorer on their team.

The game plan will be limited. WIth South having a new coach, we will play a very base defensive plan and make in game adjustments as we get a feel for what they want to run and/or where we feel we can make them uncomfortable. 

12 hours ago, JwgreDeux said:

The game plan will be limited. WIth South having a new coach, we will play a very base defensive plan and make in game adjustments as we get a feel for what they want to run and/or where we feel we can make them uncomfortable. 

Yep..as you suggested...not much to learn tonight but nice to see the good shooting...and wondering who gives up playing time when AW and DP are back ?

13 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Yep..as you suggested...not much to learn tonight but nice to see the good shooting...and wondering who gives up playing time when AW and DP are back ?

Probably a little less Dunbar and Horace 

Not much to learn from last night, other than the fact that South Alabama has only one horse that can gallop, and we have the potential for explosiveness. I was most impressed by the defense and rebounding intensity and effort for the full 40 minutes. 

2 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Probably a little less Dunbar and Horace 

OP is updated with some post game thoughts. 

Spencer will lose the most when Wiley comes back because it is a straight swap. Wiley may also take some minutes from McLemore.

Purifoy will play the 3 and the 4 and his minutes will come from a combination of guys. Dunbar, Doughty and McCormick will all be affected. 

Can't wait to watch my DVR recording tonight. Those 9pm tips are a bit late for me and my 5:30am wakeup time. Sounds like it was a fun one! 

On 11/5/2018 at 8:11 PM, JwgreDeux said:

Okeke has taken his game to another level. He is leaner and more aggressive, and not just offensively. It was good to see him be more assertive

I commented to my brothers how he looked much more physically mature/developed even before tip-off, much like the photos we saw of Wiley. Even when everyone is back in action I think he has the potential to be our best player.

3 hours ago, fredst said:

I commented to my brothers how he looked much more physically mature/developed even before tip-off, much like the photos we saw of Wiley. Even when everyone is back in action I think he has the potential to be our best player.

Depends on what you mean by best. We need him to be Mr. Consistent. He certainly has skills that no one else brings to the 4 spot. I don’t see him taking over games the way that Harper can, but he is the key to floor spacing that allows everyone else to flourish. 

Example: if he couldn’t shoot the three so well his man could sag off of him when he is extended at the three point line. That would severely hamper the high pick and roll with McLemore setting the screen and diving to the rim. Okeke gets no stats for that, but that is a benefit of a stretch 4.

25 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

Depends on what you mean by best. We need him to be Mr. Consistent. He certainly has skills that no one else brings to the 4 spot. I don’t see him taking over games the way that Harper can, but he is the key to floor spacing that allows everyone else to flourish. 

Example: if he couldn’t shoot the three so well his man could sag off of him when he is extended at the three point line. That would severely hamper the high pick and roll with McLemore setting the screen and diving to the rim. Okeke gets no stats for that, but that is a benefit of a stretch 4.

I think he can be our Heron this year, the guy that can do many things well and that we can turn to to make a play when we have to have one.

Archived