Gus to be the Auburn f'ball coach next season per Allen Greene

TitanTiger

Can't do the quote here since it's a premium content post, but Jay Tate on Auburn Rivals has posted a direct quote from Greene saying Gus will be the coach here next season.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a surprise.  Auburn would have been a national laughing stock for firing a coach the year after giving him a huge contract.  Now it’s a who will get run over by the Gus Bus and who will jump on board to fix the offense.

10 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Damn. Greene is good. Real good. I do say I’m getting a man crush on him. He is going to be a stud AD. Well done Allen. 

You sayin' he's playing some four-dimensional chess?

AD gives Malzahn a vote of confidence

Pdvb7aujllt3mfuovf8f
Malzahn will return as the Tigers' head coach next season.
Robin Conn/AuburnSports.com
Jay G. Tate • AuburnSports.com @JayGTate

Auburn athletic director Allen Greene on Tuesday said the Tigers' struggles on the field won't lead him to make a change at the top.

Gus Malzahn will return for the 2019 season.

"He's our coach for the future," Greene said Tuesday. "He'll be the coach next year. He's already proven that he can get through adversity."

The Tigers currently are 6-3 overall after engineering a thrilling, comeback win against Texas A&M last weekend. However, the team rushed for just 19 yards against the Aggies and struggled to create any semblance of offensive flow until a pair of harried-yet-successful drives late in the fourth quarter.

The team's offensive struggles — an area that is supposed to be Malzahn's speciality — has soured a large portion of the supporter base this fall. Greene acknowledged Tuesday that many supporters are disappointed, but he thinks that merely affirms their passion and high expectations for the storied program.

"You expect (Auburn) to be successful more than a normal team," Greene said. "When that doesn't happen, it's frustrating. We expect more. I know that we're young in some positions. He (Malzahn) is going to continue to be a really good coach here for us."

Malzahn is in the first year of a seven-season deal worth a total of $49 million. Auburn resumes play Saturday night at Georgia.

1 minute ago, Win4AU said:

Auburn would have been a national laughing stock for firing a coach the year after giving him a huge contract.

Not a real factor in the process.

635912572495277309-2012667910_fnl%20batt

3 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Not a surprise.  Auburn would have been a national laughing stock for firing a coach the year after giving him a huge contract.  Now it’s a who will get run over by the Gus Bus and who will jump on board to fix the offense.

In 2011 we gave Gene Chizik a big buyout, the largest of its kind that year and he just won the National Championship. We’ve done it before.  I believe the AD at the time gave him a vote of confidence about this week also.  

It’s going to be an interesting finish to the end of the season.

https://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/06/auburns_gene_chizik_has_10_mil.html

3 minutes ago, sportstiger said:

About what I expected. Would have cost to many $.

Nope. Money is there to buy him out as WDE has said many times.

10 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

He said what he needed to say on the subject. Nothing more or less. 

Sarcasm?

1 minute ago, BJCrawford said:

Whether I like it or not, I’m glad he said something

Same here. Now we need to focus on recruiting and finishing. Meanwhile the AU admin who agreed to the contract on behalf of  look like they get a free pass. Such an Auburn move.

Archived