Gus to be the Auburn f'ball coach next season per Allen Greene

TitanTiger

1 minute ago, WarEagle1983 said:

I feel the same way regarding that mindset. I'm one that says get rid of him now. Many seem to think it looks bad to can him after one year of the extension and he's likely to finish with a winning record to at least get us to a bowl game. I can somewhat understand that as to the fact that it doesn't look good and what potential top coaching candidates would think if they were to be interested. However, it wouldn't be a knee-jerk reaction on our part if we did fire him after this season because if anyone has been paying attention it's clear to see it's been a pattern from Gus for years. A continuous pattern that clearly isn't making any improvements so i agree with you in the fact that would it really be worth it to "save" a few million rather than just moving on? I personally would love if Gus was done tomorrow but as we know now it's not happening. 

With Greene's statement...we should be able to keep the incoming class intact but i don't think he survives next year at all. 

I think this is the best year to make a change. No other major jobs look to be opening up. We would have our pick of anyone we want. LOVE LOVE LOVE that mindset 83. Why put off to next year what can be done this year?! It is a matter of when not if with Gus.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:
The definition of insanity, is, doing the exact same  thing over and over again, expecting things to change. That. Is. Crazy.

I feel your pain. But ironically, may this is Dr. Greene’s answer to breaking our current cycle. Fire a coach 3-4 years removed from a perfect season/Natty/SEC title, watch new coach have huge instant success, fail to sustain, then fire the coach. Repeat cycle. This would be our third coach to fire 3 or 4 years removed from a SEC or National title team. It’s time AU figured out how to sustain success, and not keep repeating this ridiculous cycle we are in. 

3 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I feel your pain. But ironically, may this is Dr. Greene’s answer to breaking our current cycle. Fire a coach 3-4 years removed from a perfect season/Natty/SEC title, watch new coach have huge instant success, fail to sustain, then fire the coach. Repeat cycle. This would be our third coach to fire 3 or 4 years removed from a SEC or National title team. It’s time AU figured out how to sustain success, and not keep repeating this ridiculous cycle we are in. 

Lets be honest here 11. Gus is not the coach to bring us sustained success. He will bring us sustained 7 and 8 win seasons though. AKA sustained mediocrity. 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

I think if CGM hires the right OC and brings in KB to transition to Bo we will be fine. But he has to get out of his own way. I think that would be a good confidence booster for everyone tbh.

But that was supposed to be the case with Chip. Unless Gus's hand is forced he has shown nothing to make anyone believe he's going to be willing to scrap his offense and let someone take control. And besides someone like Freeze who would need us as much as we'd need him....what competent experienced OC is going to sign up and attach themselves to Gus who's job is always in question. I just don't think a simple fix of a new OC is going to fix things knowing the way Gus is. He's had 6 years to learn on the job and adjust and improve as an HC and the only time he's made changes is when his job has been on the line. I just don't care for that type of mentality as my HC. Especially when you have some of the best coaches in CFB recognizing that they have to change if that's what's best for the team and leads to more wins. We shouldn't be to the point where we have to force Gus to be a better coach. 

1 minute ago, Gowebb11 said:

Auburn has never in my lifetime fired a coach with a winning record TBH. Obviously, this situation is a tad bit different with the stakes that much higher. I just thought if he survived A&M he would be safe. I am not expecting victories against Bama and Georgia, so that does nothing for me. A lot of how I view Gus would be based on off season moves.

But that was supposed to be the case with Chip. Unless Gus's hand is forced he has shown nothing to make anyone believe he's going to be willing to scrap his offense and let someone take control. And besides someone like Freeze who would need us as much as we'd need him....what competent experienced OC is going to sign up and attach themselves to Gus who's job is always in question. I just don't think a simple fix of a new OC is going to fix things knowing the way Gus is. He's had 6 years to learn on the job and adjust and improve as an HC and the only time he's made changes is when his job has been on the line. I just don't care for that type of mentality as my HC. Especially when you have some of the best coaches in CFB recognizing that they have to change if that's what's best for the team and leads to more wins. We shouldn't be to the point where we have to force Gus to be a better coach. 

Chip Lindsey was never the answer. Who was really impressed with Chip Lindsey resume? That was another Gus yes man. I am not talking about yes men here. 

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

Auburn has never in my lifetime fired a coach with a winning record TBH. Obviously, this situation is a tad bit different with the stakes that much higher. I just thought if he survived A&M he would be safe. I am not expecting victories against Bama and Georgia, so that does nothing for me. A lot of how I view Gus would be based on off season moves.

That is the problem with Gus. It is always about next year next year next year. He is failing THIS YEAR. Everyone gets so excited during the offseason and talks themselves in to gus has changed and then it is the same ol ish. Every. effin. year.

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

Chip Lindsey was never the answer. Who was really impressed with Chip Lindsey resume? That was another Gus yes man. I am not talking about yes men here. 

Agree but Gus sold him like he was the answer. That's kind of my point. Gus doesn't really have any ties to top coaching candidates. And certainly not now that every year he'll be coaching for his job. So outside of Freeze...what top OC is going to sign up with Gus is my question. Even if i was a top OC and Gus gave me full control i wouldn't come knowing i may be one and done. Unless said coach just wants out of his current job, a big pay raise or some other situation...i don't see a top OC coming to Auburn. 

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

That is the problem with Gus. It is always about next year next year next year. He is failing THIS YEAR. Everyone gets so excited during the offseason and talks themselves in to gus has changed and then it is the same ol ish. Every. effin. year.

I guess I should just whine then. That would make it all the better. What the hell else are we going to do? He is coming back next year. The conversation now needs to shift to what we need to do to get better. If your only answer is we should fire Gus then please do as all a favor and come back next November or create another we should fire Gus thread.

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

Does anyone really believe we got to see what Chip could really do? Gus hired him. And since it has "failed" he is just going to use him as a scapegoat like he did lashlee. SMH. He needs to be held accountable.

Agree but Gus sold him like he was the answer. That's kind of my point. Gus doesn't really have any ties to top coaching candidates. And certainly not now that every year he'll be coaching for his job. So outside of Freeze...what top OC is going to sign up with Gus is my question. Even if i was a top OC and Gus gave me full control i wouldn't come knowing i may be one and done. Unless said coach just wants out of his current job, a big pay raise or some other situation...i don't see a top OC coming to Auburn. 

It needs to be freeze is what I am saying. Anything else will be underwhelming.

Just now, DAG said:

It needs to be freeze is what I am saying. Anything else will be underwhelming.

We can certainly agree there. 

Just now, DAG said:

I guess I should just whine then. That would make it all the better. What the hell else are we going to do? He is coming back next year. The conversation now needs to shift to what we need to do to get better. If your only answer is we should fire Gus then please do as all a favor and come back next November or create another we should fire Gus thread.

Thankfully I do not think I have to. He will get bowden'd in the middle of next season. And yah. Whining is therapeutic. It is better than what you are doing believing that GUS ARTHUR MALZAHN will actually change. What on earth in his 6 years has led you to believe this? People keep getting okie doked paul pierce pumpfaked in to thinking he has or will change. 

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

i believe gwillmac six has ocd. how many posts does it take to let someone know you really hate gus. good grief

Does anyone really believe we got to see what Chip could really do? Gus hired him. And since it has "failed" he is just going to use him as a scapegoat like he did lashlee. SMH. He needs to be held accountable.

Who the eff cares. It's freaking chip Lindsey. Chip Lindsey from the beginning. There was nothing about him that screamed awesome hire. Quite frankly, Chip Lindsey is his own man. If Gus is making him that miserable, he should've left last year. Why would you stay in a situation where you are being dragged down? At least Gus is smart enough to know when to jump ship. At this point, I don't know how much blame to attribute to chip Lindsey or Gus.

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

Chip wasn’t Gus’s “choice”. Chip was someone that Gus was allowed to hire. Gus wanted Kendall B..

Just now, aubiefifty said:

i believe gwillmac six has ocd. how any posts does it take to let someone know you really hate gus. good grief

Not enough apparently! If you want to see me whisper sweet nothings about one of our coaches and talk about how much I love them go to the basketball forum. BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCE FOREVER!!!!!!

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

Thankfully I do not think I have to. He will get bowden'd in the middle of next season. And yah. Whining is therapeutic. It is better than what you are doing believing that GUS ARTHUR MALZAHN will actually change. What on earth in his 6 years has led you to believe this? People keep getting okie doked paul pierce pumpfaked in to thinking he has or will change. 

I didn't say I believe anything. I just said that I am not going to sit here and whine about it. It's out of my control, so now I am thinking what could be done to make Auburn better in the future. It was cool when there was a glimmer of a chance that he might get fired but that is not the case. Now I am going to move on to the next topic of point.

1 minute ago, imaolgatiger said:

Chip wasn’t Gus’s “choice”. Chip was someone that Gus was allowed to hire. Gus wanted Kendall B..

Yep exactly what I mean. Chip Lindsey was never the freaking answer. I too was hoping for Kendall before it was all said and done.

7 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

That is my problem.  I'm so tired of waiting for next year with Gus.  Hiring Freeze will probably just be another Teeze.  Ya'see what I did there?

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Who the eff cares. It's freaking chip Lindsey. Chip Lindsey from the beginning. There was nothing about him that screamed awesome hire. Quite frankly, Chip Lindsey is his own man. If Gus is making him that miserable, he should've left last year. Why would you stay in a situation where you are being dragged down? At least Gus is smart enough to know when to jump ship. At this point, I don't know how much blame to attribute to chip Lindsey or Gus.

Then maybe Gus should make better hires. His offensive hires have all been underwhelming lately besides Larry Porter. I mean JB Grimes? The guy you just pushed out to hire YOUR BOY Herb Hand that ended up miserably? The JB Grimes hire was the single most lazy hire I can ever remember a AU coach making.

4 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

That is my problem.  I'm so tired of waiting for next year with Gus.  Hiring Freeze will probably just be another Teeze.  Ya'see what I did there?

It will just make most of us want Freeze as the next Head Coach anyways! Half the fanbase will be applauding gus for making finally a splash hire. The other half will just end up wanting Freeze as our head coach. 

Then maybe Gus should make better hires. His offensive hires have all been underwhelming lately besides Larry Porter. I mean JB Grimes? The guy you just pushed out to hire YOUR BOY Herb Hand that ended up miserably? The JB Grimes hire was the single most lazy hire I can ever remember a AU coach making.

I am not disagreeing with any of that. Absolutely needs to do that.

7 minutes ago, imaolgatiger said:

So was that JJ that nixed KB? Now that Greene is AD, maybe that will be revisited?

Strange that the 2 best OC's we want to look at both were associated with scandals...what luck we have:)

47 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Give Malzahn some support until signing day and then after that, let him coach for his own job. We need Pappoa and Pickens here. No matter who is coaching after next year, the coach is going to need a full cupboard of talent.

This. Also, its amazing how some posters in this thread think $32 million is an easy sum of money to pay off. I understand that $15mil is due immediately, but that's still an incredible amount of money paid to one person. SOMEONE from Auburn approved that contract, and that's why we're in purgatory.  

I've said this numerous times, but last year after the LSU game was when Gus should've been fired. Instead Amen Corner happened and caused an epic failure in the outrageous buyout.

Think of it this way, we've still never seen Chip Lindsay's true offense. We had that chance after LSU (Steele interim, Chip OC).

At this point I think the fanbase has to swallow the medicine Leath and the BOT gave us and preserve the recruiting class, collect the bowl money payouts, try and get Kelly Bryant for a year, and try and get Freeze for 2 years. "Band-aid" approach for 2 seasons. The national outrage against Auburn if we were fire him after year one of his huge contract would likely be ugly. It'd be something like this: "With rising college tuition prices, increasing student fees, and college players not making a nickel for their efforts, despite the commercialization of college football, Auburn is paying one man $32 million dollars. Wreckless behavior by admin, putting athletics before education, etc...."

I wanted Gus gone LAST YEAR, but it doesn't hurt to think about the financial and reputation risks to our beloved Auburn. 

Archived