Gus to be the Auburn f'ball coach next season per Allen Greene

TitanTiger

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

Pro Auburn or pro Gus. I'm just asking because I can't remember too many times I saw anti Auburn people posting on here

cole you missed the newbie posting he was hoping for the demise of gus? he posted it twice and both wer deleted and i have not seen him since.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Not sure where your getting your info but that’s not what he said. He said that Auburn was expected to be more than Average. He stated that Malzahn would’ve the coach in 2019 nothing more. He made it clear that this year’s record was not acceptable to AU standards . Said he understood that we might be young at some positions ( so don’t use it again next year). Again I have seen many coaches that their admin give them glorious reviews and support only to fire them a short time later. He bought some time with the AM win but if he doesn’t vastly improve he will be gone shortly.

I quoted it. It doesn’t even matter anymore. Apparently a reporter wanted clickbait and Greene obliged not even knowing the ramifications of what he was saying.

1 minute ago, aubiefifty said:

cole you missed the newbie posting he was hoping for the demise of gus? he posted it twice and both wer deleted and i have not seen him since.

Oh ok got you, yeah there is a line. Wishing harm on ANYBODY isn't right. And I don't like when people try to refer as a player or coach to be a coward or things of that nature. That's too far in my book

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

i might but how am i supposed to know it is a troll? seriously? i am an old geezer so you might need to draw me a picture with crayons or something and even then i might not get it. and i see no one yet has bothered to like my hard work.

Thanks I enjoy reading and appreciate the effort...

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

Pro Auburn or pro Gus. I'm just asking because I can't remember too many times I saw anti Auburn people posting on here

Pro-Auburn as fifty is.  I believe his dad played and that is his avatar. He is not in love with Gus anymore.  I think we’re all pro-Auburn, but he seems to be more than most.

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

bless you i am. i know it is a small thing but i love getting like etc.......tells you how exciting my life is..........lol

I feel you with this one bro. I'm always telling @DAG where's my likes....some people don't understand like us. I took a super long break so you can't even tell how much of a celebrity I'm really am on here 

Wonder if we could just pay Bruce Pearl a few million extra and let him takeover the Football program too. BP is what an Elite coach looks like. Humble but demanding. Brings enthusiasm to everyone around him player, coaches and fans alike. Look what he inherited and look at his progression. He gets better every year, fixing past problems. Recruiting for the future. His players will play hard. Quality recruits want to play for him. He will be in contention most every year. Wish Gus would spend sometime with Bruce, maybe he could learn what sucess looks like. Nick always says that the secret to maintaining sucess is after players see it they know what it looks like and what it takes to get there.

5 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

if you care to look at my avi pic that is my dad in an auburn football uniform. so no i am not a troll. nice try tho scooter.........

War Eagle.

So a question for coach jay. From your information each week and what I’ve read from you I would figure that you are either a coach at some level or know the business at a high level. So here is my question let’s say you are a good guy and have been sucessful at your job but every game not just one or two you show up but are not prepared to do your job but after halftime you get rolling. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose . How do you think your boss is going to react. Gus does do well sometimes but my problem is all six years he has been here and the two as OC the first half of the year he is never prepared. They might win some but even the wins are sloppy. Even games against weak opponents are sloppy wins even coming close to embarrassing. That is exactly what we have had with Gus. So should we just be glad Gus does well later in the season and not worry that he takes the first 5 games off each year. This year his line wasn’t ready. Other years he didn’t know who is QB or RB was. Every year we are young. So where does one draw the line? TIA

So I just don't know any other way Greene could have answered the question. Maybe he could have been a bit more obscure. But truth is, Gus probably does get another year. That said, i will never be convinced that HOW we play (and lose) in our last 2 big games won't make any difference in the decision.

Now does Gus DESERVE another year? That seems to be what people are debating about in this forum. 

$$$ is there, so that's not an issue. 

On 11/6/2018 at 4:15 PM, TigerFanAU said:

This. Also, its amazing how some posters in this thread think $32 million is an easy sum of money to pay off. I understand that $15mil is due immediately, but that's still an incredible amount of money paid to one person. SOMEONE from Auburn approved that contract, and that's why we're in purgatory.  

I've said this numerous times, but last year after the LSU game was when Gus should've been fired. Instead Amen Corner happened and caused an epic failure in the outrageous buyout.

Think of it this way, we've still never seen Chip Lindsay's true offense. We had that chance after LSU (Steele interim, Chip OC).

At this point I think the fanbase has to swallow the medicine Leath and the BOT gave us and preserve the recruiting class, collect the bowl money payouts, try and get Kelly Bryant for a year, and try and get Freeze for 2 years. "Band-aid" approach for 2 seasons. The national outrage against Auburn if we were fire him after year one of his huge contract would likely be ugly. It'd be something like this: "With rising college tuition prices, increasing student fees, and college players not making a nickel for their efforts, despite the commercialization of college football, Auburn is paying one man $32 million dollars. Wreckless behavior by admin, putting athletics before education, etc...."

I wanted Gus gone LAST YEAR, but it doesn't hurt to think about the financial and reputation risks to our beloved Auburn. 

I see someone was in my frame of mind about last year....were at least 5 SEC teams that were going to be looking for coaches at years end. If we were going to do it, we had to do it THEN. 

7 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

So I just don't know any other way Greene could have answered the question. Maybe he could have been a bit more obscure. But truth is, Gus probably does get another year. That said, i will never be convinced that HOW we play (and lose) in our last 2 big games won't make any difference in the decision.

Now does Gus DESERVE another year? That seems to be what people are debating about in this forum. 

I think if Neal Brown is the best we could afford after paying the buyout, then the Freeze at OC route it is.

10 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

So a question for coach jay. From your information each week and what I’ve read from you I would figure that you are either a coach at some level or know the business at a high level. So here is my question let’s say you are a good guy and have been sucessful at your job but every game not just one or two you show up but are not prepared to do your job but after halftime you get rolling. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose . How do you think your boss is going to react. Gus does do well sometimes but my problem is all six years he has been here and the two as OC the first half of the year he is never prepared. They might win some but even the wins are sloppy. Even games against weak opponents are sloppy wins even coming close to embarrassing. That is exactly what we have had with Gus. So should we just be glad Gus does well later in the season and not worry that he takes the first 5 games off each year. This year his line wasn’t ready. Other years he didn’t know who is QB or RB was. Every year we are young. So where does one draw the line? TIA

Looks like he also took the last two games off in 2017.

3 hours ago, AUwent said:

I think if Neal Brown is the best we could afford after paying the buyout, then the Freeze at OC route it is.

I’m conflicted with bringing Freeze in as the OC.  On one hand he would not be a “yes” man hire and, I hope, Gus would be able to blend his offense in with Freeze’s in a better fashion than he has done with CCL’s. He should “trust” Freeze more because of Freeze’s successes.

On the other hand, we’re just kicking the can down the road and within 2 years Freeze will be gone as if he is successful, he gets another job.  If he is not successful, he gets fires with Gus.  The only advantage would be the buyout will be less.

12 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

Thank you Biscuit - I now firmly believe that the $$ is not an issue - it is there.  

Are the people that ponied up the $$ also debating on whether Gus DESERVES another year?

What Gus deserves should play no part in deciding if he should be retained as HC after this year.  Gus deserves 100% of what the $$ people chose to give him 11 months ago with this contract extension and buyout. This is business not personal. 

The performance of the last 2 biggest games should play no part in deciding whether CGM deserves to be retained, because they've seen what he fielded in the previous 9 games.  

After 6 yrs as the head man in charge people know what CGM has to offer.  There's a solid pattern, folks just have to decide if they are satisfied with the status quo because CGM ain't changing his stripes.  He is who he is ~  he's a good HC not great ~ the results are good not great. 

18 hours ago, cole256 said:

I feel you with this one bro. I'm always telling @DAG where's my likes....some people don't understand like us. I took a super long break so you can't even tell how much of a celebrity I'm really am on here 

07423744a811916185a6312ab5e66700.gif

21 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

2014 Five losses

2015 Six losses

2016 Five losses

2017 Four losses

2018  Three to Six losses

Does anyone truly believe next year will be better? 

Still, it would be a lot of $$$ to be paying someone not to coach.

It is what it is.

13 minutes ago, CodeRocket said:

2014 Five losses

2015 Six losses

2016 Five losses

2017 Four losses

2018  Three to Six losses

Does anyone truly believe next year will be better? 

Still, it would be a lot of $$$ to be paying someone not to coach.

It is what it is.

People need to understand the mistake was the contract last year. It does no good to compound the mistake last year by keeping Gus for another year then firing him. We actually pay Gus more that way than if we just Fire him now. The problem to look at is how do we best get AU to where it needs to be football wise. Do we cut or loss now or do we pay another year and hope the availability of coaches looks better next year. I have no doubt after watching Gus for 6 years and I don’t see him ever becoming a coach can consistently produce good teams ( 9 wins or better). I like the guy but he can’t get out of his own way. He is one of those guys that will beat his head against a wall rather than admit he might be wrong and make a change. Good coaches know you have to constantly improve and change or else you fall behind. Gus not only hasn’t learned it he doesn’t want to.

23 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

I know people want us to lose by 50 to exacerbate the situation but we're just not gonna get blown out by that much, at least not by UGA. Auburn teams with a hope dont usually get beat that bad, this isnt 2011 even though the records may seem similar. We also dont play bend dont break defense or AuburnFast offense anymore, so the clock shouldnt allow for that type of ass beating.

A ~20 pt L against UGA and a 30 pt L against UA wouldnt be enough. 

Archived