Gus to be the Auburn f'ball coach next season per Allen Greene

TitanTiger

13 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Especially when the team you beat to win said division leap frogs you and goes on to win the national championship.

Sorry, but what's the point in division & conference titles?  Let's just mishmash all of D1 football and have a 120 team playoff next year.

I mean honestly lol. UGA might win the SEC, but UA isn’t missing the offs with an 12-1 record with a 29 pt skunk of top 7 LSU and a presumable assbeating of MSU (who is ungodly overranked). I see it being 1. Clemson (if UA lost) 2. UGA 3. OSU/UM 4. ND getting shafted for UA 

theres a better Chance ND makes it if Michigan wins, who should be the #2 seed and gives the CFP arguably the third most profitable rivalry as a semi final (as a rematch too). If OSU does though, UA makes more sense as you get the SEC CG rematch (doesn’t make sense to me but the NCAA loves UA playing the same teams incessantly) then the Urban-Saban matchup 

essentially conference titles are a joke if you’re not loved by the ncaa 

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, ellitor said:

Why not? Gus has proven countless times he refuses to adapt to college football in the year 2018, and as bad or worse, refuses to actually let his assistant coaches do their damn jobs on the field & and to some extent on the recruiting trail. The only viable excuse for not the right time would be money if it weren't there, which it is. And I don't want to hear perception crap from Leath reupping Gus last year. Optic metrics is BS.

I doubt a damn thing changes, but in my heart of heart, I think you give someone who has given you what Gus has given you in terms of highs a defined make or break year. Maybe some people in hindsight would call this one that, but this team realistically should’ve been good but not break. 9-3 was like a universal expectation. The way it’s played out, it demotes you to hot seat status, not get him the hell outta here status. If y’all wanted that, you needed him to lose to OM and A&M

Yes my point is that if he really wanted to send the idea he was backing Gus he would have made it for more than one year. Coupled with his remark that while some might be satisfied with middle of the pack, we would not at Auburn. Make no doubt this was pretty much we will stick with him this next year but he better understand 7-5 and 8-4 will not be acceptable going forward. As I said before the last four coaches have had successful years but were not able to sustain them. Gaia has the ability and the resources to compete for championships every year . With 3 give me wins each year it only takes 7 out of 10 games to hit a ten win season. If Gus cannot maintain that level its time to find someone that can. I have no doubt that Gus realize Greene will not put up with his crap. Win or go home that simple . I’m sure he set down or will at the end of the year his requirements to be retained after next year. I don’t think he will flinch for a second on firing Gus maybe even mid year next year if Gus fails to deliver. Nor should he. 

39 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Yes my point is that if he really wanted to send the idea he was backing Gus he would have made it for more than one year.

Your logic makes no sense. Greene only felt the necessity to back Gus as the coach next year. Of course Greene isn’t going to back him after that if he doesn’t have to. Edit: he actually insinuated a long term partnership.

Greene felt the need to put his guarantee on it, and said Malzahn will be back for next year, and that he’s “looking forward to working with him for a long time. 

Auburn chooses not to hold Gus Malzahn accountable

Updated Nov 6, 9:18 PM; Posted Nov 6, 8:36 PM

Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn watches during the second half of the Tigers' victory against Texas A&M. (AP Photo/Todd Kirkland)

55 shares

By Joseph Goodman | jgoodman@al.com

jgoodman@al.com

The latest sweetheart contract extension for Auburn’s football coach came last year after wins against rivals Georgia and Alabama.

This year, it appears his job isn’t even going to be evaluated based on those games.

It’s good to be Gus Malzahn.

This Auburn football season started in the Top 10, and it’s rounding Amen Corner with the new athletic director offering public support for his football coach. It’s official, then. Malzahn earned a gimmie season on top of his new, breathtakingly obscene buyout, and now Auburn has gone from College Football Playoff expectations to lame-duck rivalry games.

It doesn’t even matter how badly Auburn loses to Georgia and Alabama. Malzahn will be back next season and maybe even with a new transfer quarterback. If the Malzahn script follows history, Auburn will have lowered expectations and then exceed them.

Greene might be endorsing Malzahn publicly, but he has to know Auburn’s boosters and fans have lost their patience. The odds point to a five-loss season for Malzahn after signing a $49 million, seven-year contract extension. That’s about $1 million per win this season if you include victories against Alabama State and Liberty.

It’s unacceptable, and someone needs to be held accountable.

On Tuesday of Georgia week, Auburn first-year athletic director Allen Greene called Malzahn Auburn’s “coach of the future.” Why is Greene even talking about Malzahn’s job status the week of Auburn’s first big rivalry game of the season? It can’t be just for recruiting.

It’s a curious change in rhetoric for Greene after just a few weeks. Speaking in Birmingham on Oct. 15 (two days after the loss to Tennessee), he avoided offering a vote of confidence on Malzahn’s job status and performance.

How was Malzahn measuring up?

“I don’t think I should be the one who has to answer that,” Greene said at the time.

Malzahn’s buyout is $32 million this year, which all but ensured he would be back for 2019 after the win against Ole Miss. Greene didn’t have to say anything. And yet.

Greene felt the need to put his guarantee on it, and said Malzahn will be back for next year, and that he’s “looking forward to working with him for a long time.”

Auburn has been pumping a collective message of the future for three weeks now. Last week, Malzahn started mentioning next season in news conferences.

“Right now we have a bunch of freshmen who are coming on,” Malzahn said, “not just for the last four games, but for the future.”

Forget this season, Auburn fans. Scrub it from your memories.

With their coach entrenched for another season, Auburn fans can now sit back and enjoy their two biggest games of the year without even having to worry about how those outcomes might affect Malzahn’s job status. They’re all thrilled, I’m sure.

Remember when rivalry week used to mean something?

“He’ll be the coach next year, and I’m confident that he’s going to — he’s already proven that we can get through adversity," Greene said.

Spoken like a guy who has never been on the wrong end of 49-0 loss in the Iron Bowl.

If by “adversity” Greene means losing to LSU, Mississippi State and Tennessee, and then salvaging the season with wins against Ole Miss and Texas A&M, then, yes, Malzahn made it through the fire of an imploding season.

With this public endorsement, though, Malzahn doesn’t even have to sweat the biggest games of the year. It’s like he’s getting a pass for an underperforming season.

Someone should still be holding Malzahn accountable, though. It was clear early on that expectations needed to be lowered on these Tigers, but Auburn isn’t walking into certain death against Georgia. The Tigers have the personnel to compete with the Dawgs this year in the Deep South’s Oldest Rivalry.

Malzahn can’t let this game get out of hand before an Iron Bowl that might get ugly. There was a time when this season started to feel hopeless, but, to his credit, Malzahn didn’t lose his team.

Auburn’s running game is non-existent at this point in the season, but the fourth quarter against Texas A&M was a reminder Malzahn still has some talent on offense. Quarterback Jarrett Stidham completed seven of his last eight passes of the game during the furious two-touchdown rally. It was inspiring to witness.

The only future Auburn should be talking about this week is spoiling Georgia’s. Knocking Kirby Smart and UGA out of contention for the College Football Playoff before the SEC championship game would be the best medicine for a frustrating season.

Giving Malzahn a pass before the games are even played is a poisoned pill for a bitter fanbase.

Joseph Goodman is a columnist for the Alabama Media Group. He’s on Twitter @JoeGoodmanJr.

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

So this contract effects your life how? How exactly would buying out the contract and hiring a new coach effect the team? Do we lose more games because of it? 

None of this affects my life. CFB could cease to exits today and my life would still be great. I hope thats the case for us all. But economically its a nightmare. You and I have the luxury of typing missives on a keyboard with our desire not to be mediocre. AG is an executive caretaker of an enormous athletic budget. He’s being pulled to build new facilities which we definitely need and want, while spending $40 million or so to fire a coach with a winning record, months removed from a 7 year extension. As a fan I join you in wanting  a new coach. As a business person, I agree with Dr. Greene’s position. You and I will have to agree to disagree on this one. But I am curious. If you were the AD, who would be your top 3 candidates?

The biggest issue is that  i lack faith gus will develop any more as a coach.  He will have better years because he knows how to use better players  and he will eek out a few wins vs big opponents but its a jekyll and hyde situation when it comes to which coach we will get and counting on possibly being out coached in alot of games

24 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

Auburn chooses not to hold Gus Malzahn accountable

giphy.gif

26 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

This year, it appears his job isn’t even going to be evaluated based on those games.

It’s good to be Gus Malzahn.

This has to be an AUF poster. 🤣

28 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

The only future Auburn should be talking about this week is spoiling Georgia’s

The players can do that on the field. The AD can say whatever he wants. The AD has been very vocal about changing the game to early in the year among other things. 

23 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

If you were the AD, who would be your top 3 candidates?

As someone who has become vehemently anti-Gus this season, I find this question problematic. It might have everything to do with his job security this year. 

8 hours ago, corchjay said:

When the mega millions get back up to 500 million let me know what lotto numbers to play...

19-57-20-04-20-10

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

As someone who has become vehemently anti-Gus this season, I find this question problematic. It might have everything to do with his job security this year. 

Yup.  If our bar is to find a coach you can compete for a national championship consistently there aren’t many options. Not to mention I think after this expensive buy out you have to look at a cheaper possibly unproven coach. I’ve said before maybe we steal from Troy or UAB and give them a year to to prove it. I know somewhat argue but I think we have the talent that would interest a lot of coaches and they could have pretty early success. However, If I’m athletic director there’s no way a fire Gus before December; let the majority of the recruiting class sign early first.

42 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

None of this affects my life. CFB could cease to exits today and my life would still be great. I hope thats the case for us all. But economically its a nightmare. You and I have the luxury of typing missives on a keyboard with our desire not to be mediocre. AG is an executive caretaker of an enormous athletic budget. He’s being pulled to build new facilities which we definitely need and want, while spending $40 million or so to fire a coach with a winning record, months removed from a 7 year extension. As a fan I join you in wanting  a new coach. As a business person, I agree with Dr. Greene’s position. You and I will have to agree to disagree on this one. But I am curious. If you were the AD, who would be your top 3 candidates?

The money men approved let their ass cash the check their mouth wrote.

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

Money or the buy-out had absolutely, positively, nothing to do with Greene’s  statement of support!

Sorry, I just had to say the following:  It has been quite entertaining reading you Greene lovers and Gus haters try to justify this one.

Please keep it up y’all!

1 minute ago, AU-24 said:

Sorry, I just had to say the following:  It has been quite entertaining reading you Greene lovers and Gus haters try to justify this one.

Please keep it up y’all!

You are the only person that even make an accusation of a Greene lover. Most here haven't made a decision one way or the other yet because we know absolutely nothing about him.

But I know how your brain works....it always has to be a choice. Something divisive. One or the other

7 hours ago, corchjay said:

Because Gus is a good Coach.

family-feud-gerbil-2.jpg

He was a good coach. His stubbornness & unwillingness to adapt as college football has evolved changes that.

53 minutes ago, wde1968 said:

So he is going to be happy with  triple digit combined loses to Ga  and uat. Maybe his job performance should be evaluated as well.

theres no chance Gus ever loses to Saban by more than maybe 25, just b/c of the rivalry and his own moxie for that game

2 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

al.com needs better standards

What standards? This is the kind of drivel we have come to expect from them

9 minutes ago, cole256 said:

You are the only person that even make an accusation of a Greene lover. Most here haven't made a decision one way or the other yet because we know absolutely nothing about him.

But I know how your brain works....it always has to be a choice. Something divisive. One or the other

And the entertainment continues! Man, Greenes support must hurt you so bad. 

Sorry dude but life goes on, the sun will come up tomorrow.

6 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

theres no chance Gus ever loses to Saban by more than maybe 25, just b/c of the rivalry and his own moxie for that game

I assume you mean as a HC because in 2011 we got our brains beat in

2 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

And the entertainment continues! Man, Greenes support must hurt you so bad. 

Sorry dude but life goes on, the sun will come up tomorrow.

Greene said what he had to, and had nothing to do with Double Bubble's ridiculous contract extension.

The sample size is small so far but I am becoming a fan of AD Greene. He pushed back against Leath regarding CBP and won. He's taking action on our extremely difficult end of year football schedule and he played the media perfectly regarding our current HFC. I like the direction he appears to be taking the athletic department.

11 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

al.com needs better standards

You mean lobbing hand grenades on a bammer rag and watching the clicks crank up isn't your idea of crack journalism?

What a bull**** article.  Their standard of accountability is what, a brick through Gus's window?

29 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Money or the buy-out had absolutely, positively, nothing to do with Greene’s  statement of support!

Agree 100%!

Greene & his contingent know the fan base will be at a fever pitch come midnight on Saturday - then we get cupcake Liberty - then face the King of the hill in their house for the IB.  It's not going to be pleasant for the next 4-5 weeks as we watch our 2 most hated rivals go head to head again for a championship and go to war for a CFP spot.

Greene had to come out now during UGA week to give a show of support because the results of these top two rivalry games are likely to be ugly.  The media/radio talking heads/newspapers/message boards, etc. will crucify CGM/Leath/the AU PTB, they will spout off his record, point to his ludicrous salary/buyout and laugh. Recruits & their parents will stand witness to just how nasty things can get and the negative recruiting started a month ago.    

So Greene did some preventive maintenance, in an attempt to stabilize the rough waters ahead, help retain the recruiting class, in an attempt calm the fan base for the future and ease the rumors that have been running wild for the last 4 weeks.  Now when the 'ish hits the fan as we get into the home stretch of Amen Corner the fans can raise hell and break out the tar/feathers and it will all be for naught - because CGM is safe and secured as the "Coach of the Future."  He has the support of Auburn and he's going to be here for a while, like it or not.

Archived