Gus to be the Auburn f'ball coach next season per Allen Greene

TitanTiger

1 minute ago, ChltteTiger said:

"hes proven he can get through adversity"  WTH does this matter?? For $49 mill I would probably be willing to swallow a live slug or much worse. What he hasn't proven is does he have a plan for 2019 that has us playing for an SEC West title in November (not missing out in early October)!

Feel better? It's time to let go.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, toddc said:

I love this news! War Eagle

get out.gif

amanda.gif

59 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

In 2011 we gave Gene Chizik a big buyout, the largest of its kind that year and he just won the National Championship. We’ve done it before.  I believe the AD at the time gave him a vote of confidence about this week also.  

It’s going to be an interesting finish to the end of the season.

https://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/06/auburns_gene_chizik_has_10_mil.html

I know this season has been a disappointment but Auburn is nowhere near 2012 levels.  This isn’t even 2015 bad but it’s close.  7-5 and a trip the Nashville or Charlotte.  Not great but not 32 million bad either.

7 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

I know this season has been a disappointment but Auburn is nowhere near 2012 levels.  This isn’t even 2015 bad but it’s close.  7-5 and a trip the Nashville or Charlotte.  Not great but not 32 million bad either.

This is worse. Way worse. I rather be that level of bad and get a new coach than be in football purgatory every year with gus where he does just enough to not get fired and nothing ever changes. Perpetually mediocre. He is what he is a 7 or 8 win coach. Nothing more. Nothing less. NOT. GOOD. ENOUGH. I expect championships at Auburn. Not constantly being a top 10 pre season tea and falling right on our face. We are paying him top 5 coaching money for not even top 25 results. We are stuck in football purgatory with gustav.

popcorn.gif

13 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

"hes proven he can get through adversity"  WTH does this matter?? For $49 mill I would probably be willing to swallow a live slug or much worse. What he hasn't proven is does he have a plan for 2019 that has us playing for an SEC West title in November (not missing out in early October)!

Be careful.  Dude just died 8 years after eating a live slug and contracting worms and meningitis.  Gus isn’t worth that.  😁

9 minutes ago, bigbird said:

tenor.gif?itemid=9740270

Yeah, that didn’t end well for Fredo, lol. The dreaded “Michael Corleone kiss of confidence” from Mr. Greene....?

58 minutes ago, musicitytiger said:

That’s not how any of this works:-(

gus only performs when he feels like his job is on the line.....

Does just enough to save his butt. It's going to be the same story next year. 

Just now, WarEagle1983 said:

Does just enough to save his butt. It's going to be the same story next year. 

I really do think mercifully this will end next year. There will be nowhere to hide for him and if he wins 6 or 7 next year he is gone. He ain't beating georgia or bama. Even in jordan hare with our awful OL.

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

I really do think mercifully this will end next year. There will be nowhere to hide for him and if he wins 6 or 7 next year he is gone. He ain't beating georgia or bama. Even in jordan hare with our awful OL.

I agree. I'm predicting that Gus will not even last through 6 or 7 games next year if we're smart. Just look at next years' schedule. Open with Oregon...on the road at A&M, Florida, Arkansas and LSU before November. With a new QB and bad OL. He's barely gotten through this season. Who really think he's going to be an improvement when it gets harder next season. I understand we're in a tough spot not being able to get rid of him this season but I too think he's done next season for sure. I'm over this mess. It's past time to move on. It just sucks that we'd basically be wasting a season IMO. 

Just now, WarEagle1983 said:

I agree. I'm predicting that Gus will not even last through 6 or 7 games next year if we're smart. Just look at next years' schedule. Open with Oregon...on the road at A&M, Florida, Arkansas and LSU before November. With a new QB and bad OL. He's barely gotten through this season. Who really think he's going to be an improvement when it gets harder next season. I understand we're in a tough spot not being able to get rid of him this season but I too think he's done next season for sure. I'm over this mess. It's past time to move on. It just sucks that we'd basically be wasting a season IMO. 

See I do not agree with the mindset of not being able to get rid of him this season. The buyout does not go down drastically in just one year. I just think a absolute choke job by jimbo saved his job for another year. THOUGH I still think all of this could change when we get skull dragged in athens and ttown and gus goes to 2-4 vs our two main rivals. 

10 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Nah he needs to remain until the end of nexf season so that we can write off another 7 mil. (How about that: an AD willing to not be reckless with millions. Sharp change in direction from the path that his predecessor chose....)

Give Malzahn some support until signing day and then after that, let him coach for his own job. We need Pappoa and Pickens here. No matter who is coaching after next year, the coach is going to need a full cupboard of talent. 

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

See I do not agree with the mindset of not being able to get rid of him this season. The buyout does not go down drastically in just one year. I just think a absolute choke job by jimbo saved his job for another year. THOUGH I still think all of this could change when we get skull dragged in athens and ttown and gus goes to 2-4 vs our two main rivals. 

Drop another bowl deuce to a crap team and see what happens to Greene's vote of confidence.

Just now, The Freak said:

Drop another bowl deuce to a crap team and see what happens to Greene's vote of confidence.

Leave his a$$ at Legion Field. Do not let him get on the bus.

Ole CGM... I still have hope bit if it doesn't get better, much better, then I will be officially off the bus. That being said, I think Ole Gus will get it right! War Eagle

1 minute ago, tbone4jc said:

Ole CGM... I still have hope bit if it doesn't get better, much better, then I will be officially off the bus. That being said, I think Ole Gus will get it right! War Eagle

The definition of insanity, is, doing the exact same  thing over and over again, expecting things to change. That. Is. Crazy.

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:
The definition of insanity, is, doing the exact same  thing over and over again, expecting things to change. That. Is. Crazy.

FWIW, Merriam Webster has a different definition of insanity. 

6 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I feel the same way regarding that mindset. I'm one that says get rid of him now. Many seem to think it looks bad to can him after one year of the extension and he's likely to finish with a winning record to at least get us to a bowl game. I can somewhat understand that as to the fact that it doesn't look good and what potential top coaching candidates would think if they were to be interested. However, it wouldn't be a knee-jerk reaction on our part if we did fire him after this season because if anyone has been paying attention it's clear to see it's been a pattern from Gus for years. A continuous pattern that clearly isn't making any improvements so i agree with you in the fact that would it really be worth it to "save" a few million rather than just moving on? I personally would love if Gus was done tomorrow but as we know now it's not happening. 

With Greene's statement...we should be able to keep the incoming class intact but i don't think he survives next year at all. 

While I’m not on the Bus anymore, I’m glad we have an AD that stepped up, and made a concise and declarative statement. A $32,000,000 buyout, plus several million to put a new staff in place, is $40-$50 million that could be put to use a lot of other ways. No need to let this drama drag on while our recruiting class is picked apart by our rivals.  Like it or not, time to move on and support the Tigers. 

I think if CGM hires the right OC and brings in KB to transition to Bo we will be fine. But he has to get out of his own way. I think that would be a good confidence booster for everyone tbh.

Archived