Gus to be the Auburn f'ball coach next season per Allen Greene

TitanTiger

Just now, JBiGGiE said:

All I ask is a return of the 2013/14 offense. Get there and we're all singing Kumbaya into late November.

We do not have the team to run it. We do not have a dominant OL and bone crushing FB. Also Nick Marshall does not grow on trees. People under estimate how ELITE he was of a college player. He was special. Nick Marshall. The Man. The Myth. The Legend. Often replicated. NEVER duplicated.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Our expectations are to continue evolve from a top 15 program to a top 10/top 5 program. That means 9-10 wins every year.

I will never understand the argument "Auburn can't be a consistent winner because it never has been." Florida never had been before Spurrier. UGA wasn't prior to Smart. Oregon wasn't before Chip Kelly.

Auburn has ALL the resources to be a consistent powerhouse and we need people who won't accept anything less. 

Your profile name says it all in my opinion. Just because we have typically won 8 games average that can't be the expectation now. More games played now than before. Can't accept that past standards are future standards. If you dwell on the past it will usually haunt you. 

1 minute ago, WarEagleSteve said:

Chip Kelly nearly burned Oregon's program to the ground from an NCAA standpoint in turning them into a contender and they haven't been a "winner" since he left. UGA averaged 10 wins a year under Mark Richt and won half a dozen division titles and two SEC titles during that time so saying they "weren't a winner" prior to Smart getting there is patently false. Yes, Spurrier turned Florida into the most dominant SEC program of the 90s. They've also spent nearly as long wandering the proverbial wilderness during the time that he and Urban Meyer weren't the coach. Yes, Auburn has the resources to be a top 10 program in college football. You know who else does too? Penn State, Texas A&M, Tennessee, Michigan, Notre Dame, and a half dozen others. You know why they aren't? Because Nick Sabans, Steve Spurriers, and Urban Meyers don't grow on trees. Finding a quality football coach is hard. Finding someone who's going to average 10 wins a year in the SEC West year in and year out not named Nick Saban is borderline impossible. Hell, Georgia and LSU both had guys that did exactly that and fired both of them. I have as much issue with Gus underachieving with this amount of roster talent as anyone but this idea that we should fire him for it is how we'll wind up with our version of Derek Dooley. 

I am sorry I do not accept that. If our little brother Clemson can have a freaking WR coach who had never been a coordinator on any level turn them in to a national power than surely we can find a guy like that for us. We are better than clemson by every measuring stick historically. They just are a lot more lucky than us that they have a great coach and we still are wandering in the wilderness searching for ours. I have faith one day we will strike oil. I refuse to accept and believe anything else.

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

So was that JJ that nixed KB? Now that Greene is AD, maybe that will be revisited?

Strange that the 2 best OC's we want to look at both were associated with scandals...what luck we have:)

Yep and don't think for a minute that courting Hugh Freeze will just pass the "Family's" smell test with flying colors.  Freeze still has some stank on him, OM is still under sanctions and there will always be questionable trust issues where Compliance is concerned with having him out recruiting with an AU logo on his shirt.

4 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

When it comes to the OL? yes. One 4 star Guard and then 1 OT who is a project. That is it so far. We do not lead or are relatively close to any Offensive tackles who are difference makers either. YAY. Another swing and a miss when it comes to O Line crutin. The problem is getting worse not better.

What about the class as a whole? Do you want to risk losing it's overall quality by firing Malzahn now. All those 4 star players you drool over. 

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

This forum is like the new season of Vikings. A family divided. Brother vs brother.

This is what happens when you do not have a BRUUUUUUUUUUUUCE as the Head Coach! lol. It is going to continue to be that way till we hire a proven winner in football! haha. 

Just now, SumterAubie said:

What about the class as a whole? Do you want to risk losing it's overall quality by firing Malzahn now. All those 4 star players you drool over. 

Class as a whole is good like it usually is. Recruiting is not the problem with Gus. BESIDES OL crutin. I am perfectly willing to punt those 4 and 5 stars because it is not like malzahn is doing anything with them anyways. Bo would still come regardless of who is the coach and he is the only 1 we can ill afford to lose. 

Guest WarEagleSteve
4 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I am sorry I do not accept that. If our little brother Clemson can have a freaking WR coach who had never been a coordinator on any level turn them in to a national power than surely we can find a guy like that for us. We are better than clemson by every measuring stick historically. They just are a lot more lucky than us that they have a great coach and we still are wandering in the wilderness searching for ours. I have faith one day we will strike oil. I refuse to accept and believe anything else.

USC, Michigan, Tennessee, Miami, and Texas are historically better programs than Auburn and all of them have been spinning the coaching roulette wheel for a decade or more trying to find "their guy". For every Dabo Swinney, there's five Randy Shannons. Hell, Penn State thought they were getting their Dabo when they hired James Franklin and he's basically become their Gus. If every college football team fired their coach for an underachieving season, a solid third of Power 5 teams would have a vacancy every other year. 

1 minute ago, WarEagleSteve said:

USC, Michigan, Tennessee, Miami, and Texas are historically better programs than Auburn and all of them have been spinning the coaching roulette wheel for a decade or more trying to find "their guy". For every Dabo Swinney, there's five Randy Shannons. Hell, Penn State thought they were getting their Dabo when they hired James Franklin and he's basically become their Gus. If every college football team fired their coach for an underachieving season, a solid third of Power 5 teams would have a vacancy every other year. 

It is year 6 man. This is not year 3. We know what we have and that is a mediocre 7 and 8 win coach. He will be back next season most likely. But that does not mean he shouldn't.

I will always be scared of the devil we don’t know. Let’s face it, finding Sweeney was pure luck. What are the odds we will get that lucky if we hire an up and comer. Every time this subject comes up we’ve heard names like Petrino, fleck, kelly, Gary Anderson and even Chris Peterson. Would we want any of these right now? Before I get slammed for “accepting mediocrity”, I’m not. I simply don’t think this is as easy as a fan base makes it out to be.

9 minutes ago, WarEagleSteve said:

Chip Kelly nearly burned Oregon's program to the ground from an NCAA standpoint in turning them into a contender and they haven't been a "winner" since he left. UGA averaged 10 wins a year under Mark Richt and won half a dozen division titles and two SEC titles during that time so saying they "weren't a winner" prior to Smart getting there is patently false. Yes, Spurrier turned Florida into the most dominant SEC program of the 90s. They've also spent nearly as long wandering the proverbial wilderness during the time that he and Urban Meyer weren't the coach. Yes, Auburn has the resources to be a top 10 program in college football. You know who else does too? Penn State, Texas A&M, Tennessee, Michigan, Notre Dame, and a half dozen others. You know why they aren't? Because Nick Sabans, Steve Spurriers, and Urban Meyers don't grow on trees. Finding a quality football coach is hard. Finding someone who's going to average 10 wins a year in the SEC West year in and year out not named Nick Saban is borderline impossible. Hell, Georgia and LSU both had guys that did exactly that and fired both of them. I have as much issue with Gus underachieving with this amount of roster talent as anyone but this idea that we should fire him for it is how we'll wind up with our version of Derek Dooley. 

None of this addresses your initial argument that Auburn should temper its expectations because it has never had a coach win consistently. 

It's time for those statements to stop being made. If you want to follow a school that has 8 win expectations with an occasional title run, check out Virginia Tech or West Virginia or Michigan State. Auburn has left that tier behind. 

We now have all the tools to establish ourselves as a perennial power. This isn't 1997 Auburn. 

Just now, BJCrawford said:

I will always be scared of the devil we don’t know. Let’s face it, finding Sweeney was pure luck. What are the odds we will get that lucky if we hire an up and comer. Every time this subject comes up we’ve heard names like Petrino, fleck, kelly, Gary Anderson and even Chris Peterson. Would we want any of these right now? Before I get slammed for “accepting mediocrity”, I’m not. I simply don’t think this is as easy as a fan base makes it out to be.

lol Gary Anderson. Is he even coaching anywhere this year? So you want to keep a under performing coach and not TRY and get a better one? How does that make sense? There is plenty of coaches out there that could win 7 and 8 games at AU and for way less money. We can do better. I expect championships at Auburn and consistent success. It can be done. Just have to find the right coach.

20 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Maybe if Gus was a defensive coach...but he is not. Whoever his OC is will run his base offense...I can’t think of a scenario where an offensive coach has hired an OC and just looked the other way. 

Bobby Bowden

43 minutes ago, WarEagleSteve said:

You do realize that "consistently getting to 9 wins" is something of a rarity at Auburn, yeah? Pat Dye is the only Auburn coach in the last 60 years to put together back-to-back 10 win seasons and consecutive 9 win seasons has only happened 5 times in the last 30 years. Gus is an underachiever to be certain but let's be clear about what our expectations are.

Chizik and Malzahn are the only Auburn coaches in the last 30 years who haven't had back to back 9+ win seasons. 

3 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

None of this addresses your initial argument that Auburn should temper its expectations because it has never had a coach win consistently. 

It's time for those statements to stop being made. If you want to follow a school that has 8 win expectations with an occasional title run, check out Virginia Tech or West Virginia or Michigan State. Auburn has left that tier behind. 

We now have all the tools to establish ourselves as a perennial power. This isn't 1997 Auburn. 

my man.gif

1 minute ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Chizik and Malzahn are the only Auburn coaches in the last 30 years who haven't had back to back 9+ win seasons. 

dj.gif

2 minutes ago, WarEagleSteve said:

Gus is the only Auburn coach in the last 50 years to never have a losing season. 

Gus is the coach in the last 50 seasons who has wasted the most talent and consistently underachieved the most at AU. Is that the bar now? Not having a losing season. O BOY! 7-5 here we come baby!! BUCKLE UP kirby and saban we coming for you! lol.

27 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

When it comes to the OL? yes. One 4 star Guard and then 1 OT who is a project. That is it so far. We do not lead or are relatively close to any Offensive tackles who are difference makers either. YAY. Another swing and a miss when it comes to O Line crutin. The problem is getting worse not better.

Guess he'll just have to convert some guys🙃

42 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Our expectations are to continue evolve from a top 15 program to a top 10/top 5 program. That means 9-10 wins every year.

I will never understand the argument "Auburn can't be a consistent winner because it never has been." Florida never had been before Spurrier. UGA wasn't prior to Smart. Oregon wasn't before Chip Kelly.

Auburn has ALL the resources to be a consistent powerhouse and we need people who won't accept anything less. 

What? Richt was at Georgia for like 15 years and only 4 of those were under 9 wins. 3 of them being 8 wins and one 6 win.

35 minutes ago, DAG said:

64 is in 100% agreement with me HOLY CRAP

I've been on that ride for months...glad to have you along. 😁 Guess we have been talking past each other.

5 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Gus is the coach in the last 50 seasons who has wasted the most talent and consistently underachieved the most at AU

We have had some damn coaches then. After all Gus is coaching in the SECCG on average one out of every three years. 

Just now, AU64 said:

I've been on that ride for months...glad to have you along. 😁 Guess we have been talking past each other.

Now repeat after me 64. YOU. WILL. LOVE. BRUCE. PEARL. GOING. FORWARD. That is all we ask of you!!! I do not even hold the gus love against you anymore! lol. You cannot help it! haha.

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Gus is the coach in the last 50 seasons who has wasted the most talent and consistently underachieved the most at AU. Is that the bar now? Not having a losing season. O BOY! 7-5 here we come baby!! BUCKLE UP kirby and saban we coming for you! lol.

He just beat Saban and Kirby's ass last year.  Trust me when Saban and Kirby look at their schedules every year AU is where they look first.  

Jesus give it up.  I think if you average out Gus' record as a coach he's something like 9-4...  He will be back next year.  Let's hope he and the team get better.  We still have 8-10 spots remaining in recruiting let's see what happens the remainder of the season and and the recruiting cycle.  

I have never in the life of me seen so many AU people wanting AU to fail because of the coach.  

Archived