Gus to be the Auburn f'ball coach next season per Allen Greene

TitanTiger

1 minute ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

On a serious tip, why is winning a SEC West title an accomplishment? I know it’s a hard division but last year, everyone there was terrible except us and those frauds in alassippi. 

Especially when the team you beat to win said division leap frogs you and goes on to win the national championship.

Sorry, but what's the point in division & conference titles?  Let's just mishmash all of D1 football and have a 120 team playoff next year.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Tubs was notorious with coming up short in the West with either co-West finishes losing the tie breaker or 2nd place finishes.

1999, 2003, and 2008 were the only years we finished worst than 2nd in the West under Tubs.

I miss the days when our stiffest competition from the West was only LSU year after year.

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Why would you support Gus more than you would a actual proven consistent winner who has taken every team he has coached to at to a conference title? I just do not understand. Sure this team has elite 8 talent. Will it get there? IDK. The win or go home element of the tourney makes it impossible to predict. 

I don't support Gus more then I do Bruce.  That's the difference between you and I.  I support them the same.  I'm using the same logic as you and many others have used.  He's built his roster.  He has one of the best facilities in the country to play in.  He has plenty of talent... and preseason expectations.  So anything, by the Gus standard, less then an elite 8 run is failing.   

Guest WarEagleSteve
Just now, AUght2win said:

I'm looking for a coach that wins 9-10 games that matter per year. Richt didn't do that. Hence his 8 final years without a conference title or big bowl appearance.

You and everyone else in college football not named Ohio State and Alabama. 

11 minutes ago, WarEagleSteve said:

Gus has been here for five complete seasons. His average record for them is 9-3. Auburn has produced two 10 win seasons since he's been here, both resulting in SEC West titles. He's been to a bowl game every year, three of them being New Year's Day bowls. His SEC winning percentage is higher than both Pat Dye and Shug Jordan. Auburn has achieved quite a bit under Gus. Has it been as much as we've arguably been capable of? Of course not but can we please not act like the sky is falling because the dude's going to go 7-5. 

Pat Dye's SEC record was 48-27-3 which is 61.5%

Gus's SEC record is 28-18 which is 60.8%

Just now, corchjay said:

I don't support Gus more then I do Bruce.  That's the difference between you and I.  I support them the same.  I'm using the same logic as you and many others have used.  He's built his roster.  He has one of the best facilities in the country to play in.  He has plenty of talent... and preseason expectations.  So anything, by the Gus standard, less then an elite 8 run is failing.   

By the way. I am more shocked by you than anyone else that you are a gus supporter and apologist. You just do not have the personality of someone who usually supports Gus I see around here. Thought you would be comfortably off the bus by now. I am most disappointed in you coach!!! lol. SMH.

Guest WarEagleSteve
Just now, Auburnfan91 said:

Pat Dye's SEC record was 48-27-3 which is 61.5%

Gus's SEC record is 28-18 which is 60.8%

A. I said "complete seasons"

B. Are you really pedantic enough to needle me over .7 percentage points?

1 minute ago, WarEagleSteve said:

You and everyone else in college football not named Ohio State and Alabama. 

LMAO what's your point? Do you get satisfaction out of manufacturing a false ceiling that Auburn is limited by? We are a top 10 program. Would you deny this? I would hope not. So therefore, it's time for top 10 expectations. Auburn shouldn't believe they are any less capable of being a consistent winner than ANYONE else.

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

I'm looking for a coach that wins 9-10 games that matter per year. Richt didn't do that. Hence his 8 final years without a conference title or big bowl appearance.

Lol, but you have to win the other games to get to the games that matter. So all games matter.

I don't recall when Tuberville would lose a OOC game and say "Well that was like the preseason, we are starting the games that matter now with conference play" being OK.

Reading this board I'm gonna say that Peach Bowl loss to UCF mattered despite it not being in the playoffs. Then if other bowls don't matter then why are people complaining about Gus's bowl record outside of the Playoffs.

2 minutes ago, WarEagleSteve said:

You said HIGHER win percentage. Not AS GOOD or CLOSE.

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

By the way. I am more shocked by you than anyone else that you are a gus supporter and apologist. You just do not have the personality of someone who usually supports Gus I see around here. Thought you would be comfortably off the bus by now. I am most disappointed in you coach!!! lol. SMH.

I'm an Auburn supporter.  Gus is my coach.  When and if fired I will no longer be a Gus supporter.  Biggest difference between most on here and me is that I actually like our offense.  Would I do a few things different?  Sure.  But the offensive philosophy I love.  

45 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

None of this addresses your initial argument that Auburn should temper its expectations because it has never had a coach win consistently. 

It's time for those statements to stop being made. If you want to follow a school that has 8 win expectations with an occasional title run, check out Virginia Tech or West Virginia or Michigan State. Auburn has left that tier behind. 

We now have all the tools to establish ourselves as a perennial power. This isn't 1997 Auburn. 

Sorry meant Gary Patterson 

Guest WarEagleSteve
2 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

You said HIGHER win percentage. Not AS GOOD or CLOSE.

Gus Malzahn's first 5 COMPLETE SEASONS: 25-15 62.5%

Reading is fundamental, kids. Also, glad to know that yes, you are in fact that pedantic. 

1 minute ago, corchjay said:

I'm an Auburn supporter.  Gus is my coach.  When and if fired I will no longer be a Gus supporter.  Biggest difference between most on here and me is that I actually like our offense.  Would I do a few things different?  Sure.  But the offensive philosophy I love.  

You love our offense? You love not attacking the middle of the field? You love being predictable? I HATE our offense! lol. I LOVE watching Sean Payton and Sean McVays offense. I LOVE watching Lincoln Rileys offense. Ours? It physically makes me ill! haha.

12 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

And Tubs never finished last in the West like Gus did in 2015.

What a softball. Gus has yet to finish 5-7...lol

6 minutes ago, WarEagleSteve said:

And don't worry after we lose to UGA and Bama, Gus will be 28-20 which is 58.3%...... so Gus will be 3 points below Dye.

6 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Lol, but you have to win the other games to get to the games that matter. So all games matter.

I don't recall when Tuberville would lose a OOC game and say "Well that was like the preseason, we are starting the games that matter now with conference play" being OK.

Reading this board I'm gonna say that Peach Bowl loss to UCF mattered despite it not being in the playoffs. Then if other bowls don't matter then why are people complaining about Gus's bowl record outside of the Playoffs.

Nobody views Mark Richt as a successful, longterm institution at UGA. If you can't figure out why, I can't help you. Richt won no-pressure bowl games that didn't matter to turn 8-4 into 9-4 or 9-3 into 10-3. Gus loses big time bowl games that do matter. At least, to Gus' credit, he does the work to get there. 

In all honesty, what value does a Capital One or Outback Bowl win have? It doesn't have any in modern day football. That's why Richt was canned.

8 minutes ago, corchjay said:

one of the best facilities, lol, you are clueless when it comes to basketball and facilities.  We dream to have what ole miss has.

Guest WarEagleSteve
3 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

LMAO what's your point? Do you get satisfaction out of manufacturing a false ceiling that Auburn is limited by? We are a top 10 program. Would you deny this? I would hope not. So therefore, it's time for top 10 expectations. Auburn shouldn't believe they are any less capable of being a consistent winner than ANYONE else.

Look pal, there's a difference between expectations and reality. My expectation is that Auburn contends for division, conference, and national titles every year. The reality is that the only programs currently capable of doing that are Alabama and Ohio State. Every other major program in the country is searching for the guy who's going to get them there, including us. Most of them haven't found him because there just aren't that many of them. Many of the programs currently engaged in that search have also managed to burn their programs to the ground in the process of doing so. Auburn hasn't managed to do that (the burning the program to the ground part) and has also managed to be reasonably successful in the interim, including beating the best program in the country more consistently than anyone else. I'd like for us to be more consistently successful and I expect that we'll eventually become so. I'm just not willing to risk burning the program to the ground gambling on it. 

7 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I think Auburn has top 10 expectations...the issue is so you gamble and move on from Gus and end up like Tennessee or Florida. You could get the next Dabo or the next Mcilwain. Or keep Gus and he gets more consistent or he flames out...idk 

1 minute ago, PoetTiger said:

I think Auburn has top 10 expectations...the issue is so you gamble and move on from Gus and end up like Tennessee or Florida. You could get the next Dabo or the next Mcilwain. Or keep Gus and he gets more consistent or he flames out...idk 

LOL Gus to get more consistent?! COME ON POET!!! You know that is never going to happen. People will be waiting a loooooooooong time for that. Also that is not a reason to keep him. If they deserve to be fired...... FIRE THEM!

rtr.gif

Just now, PoetTiger said:

I would love absolutely nothing more than for a flip to switch in Gus' head and we get back to dominant, fun, SANE football. 

But we lost to Tennessee. At home. In year 6. Inept. That type of loss proves that Gus is inept. 

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

Nobody views Mark Richt as a successful, longterm institution at UGA. If you can't figure out why, I can't help you. Richt bowl games that didn't matter. Gus loses bowl games that do matter. At least, to Gus' credit, he does the work to get there. 

In all honesty, what value does a Capital One or Outback Bowl win have? It doesn't have any in modern day football. That's why Richt was canned.

I know why he was canned. Championships.

Just state that you want a coach that doesn't lose and wins championships every year vs dancing around with I want 9-10 wins a year, then changing that to well those 9-10 wins have to matter. I'm good with someone that will say that.

Hate to tell Georgia, but they are gonna have those same issues until Saban is gone if he holds serve. Cause he has never been beaten by an understudy.

Here is the thing for me. The amount of faith that people have in Gus turning things around. That is the amount of faith that I have in Auburn's PTB/Faculty/BOT's ever bringing in the type of coach people keep referring to.

5 minutes ago, WarEagleSteve said:

Look pal, there's a difference between expectations and reality. My expectation is that Auburn contends for division, conference, and national titles every year. The reality is that the only programs currently capable of doing that are Alabama and Ohio State. Every other major program in the country is searching for the guy who's going to get them there, including us. Most of them haven't found him because there just aren't that many of them. Many of the programs currently engaged in that search have also managed to burn their programs to the ground in the process of doing so. Auburn hasn't managed to do that (the burning the program to the ground part) and has also managed to be reasonably successful in the interim, including beating the best program in the country more consistently than anyone else. I'd like for us to be more consistently successful and I expect that we'll eventually become so. I'm just not willing to risk burning the program to the ground gambling on it. 

Absolutely false.

Also, who burned their program to the ground in search of consistent success? UGA didn't when it fired Richt. Penn State didn't when it went for Franklin. They are back in the national picture. Michigan didn't when they went for Harbaugh. They have returned to prominence. Texas A&M is already better under Jimbo. LSU is in the top 10 exactly 2 years after Les Miles was fired.

Seems to me that nobody is burning their programs down, rather they are holding them to higher standards. And it's working.

Archived