Gus to be the Auburn f'ball coach next season per Allen Greene

TitanTiger

On 11/7/2018 at 9:51 PM, Eagle Eye 7 said:

So a question for coach jay. From your information each week and what I’ve read from you I would figure that you are either a coach at some level or know the business at a high level. So here is my question let’s say you are a good guy and have been sucessful at your job but every game not just one or two you show up but are not prepared to do your job but after halftime you get rolling. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose . How do you think your boss is going to react. Gus does do well sometimes but my problem is all six years he has been here and the two as OC the first half of the year he is never prepared. They might win some but even the wins are sloppy. Even games against weak opponents are sloppy wins even coming close to embarrassing. That is exactly what we have had with Gus. So should we just be glad Gus does well later in the season and not worry that he takes the first 5 games off each year. This year his line wasn’t ready. Other years he didn’t know who is QB or RB was. Every year we are young. So where does one draw the line? TIA

Sorry I am just seeing this.  I am a coach, specifically a high school baseball coach, but I was an OC for football for many years (same school).  I have a lot of high school contacts in the Birmingham and surrounding areas and no I will not and don't think it's fair to my school, players, or myself to say which school I coach for.  However, I'm very successful in baseball but admittedly I was barely average as an OC as far as results are concerned. Enough about me though...

To get to your other questions, Every season is different but seems to be a trend of not playing at a high level early in the season on offense.  Couple of things that jump out to me just from information I have gather over the years.  Early in Gus' tenure fall practice wasn't very physical, now they are.  I think Gus and staff are almost to fair in competition and wait about a week or so to long before settling on a starter when a spot is up for grabs.  Sometimes you just have to go with your gut and get the extra reps.  Especially when you consider our run game is based a lot on timing and execution.  As far as specific games are concerned identifying what your opponent is trying to do against you what they are trying to take away is huge to determine early.  Gus generally has done a solid job of modifying scheme to adjust in game but once he makes that one adjustment he sticks with it even if the defense seems to counter the adjustment but will say those are normally when we have a lead.  We can say every year has looked bad but at some point you just have to admit Clemson had a lot to do with that in some of the early games.  The Mercer game I think we scored on 5 of the 6 possessions we didn't turn the ball over on and that was just a anomaly because we didn't turn the ball over much that season.  Really other then that I think we were breaking in new QBs.   So every situation is different really.  Zone read/ RPO based offenses are generally slower to get started in the year that's just a part of it and why it's also hard to stop once you get it rolling.  

Do have to put out a disclaimer as well I'm loyal to a fault.  

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Auburn's president and AD will soon regret giving Gus Malzahn their full support by saying I look forward to working with coach Malzahn since he'll be our coach for a long lomg time long.

4 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

Auburn's president and AD will soon regret giving Gus Malzahn their full support by saying I look forward to working with coach Malzahn since he'll be our coach for a long lomg time long.

Oh yes he will definitely have regrets. AD Greene is about to understand what it is like to play with the big boys. 

All I want for Christmas is a Air Raid Head Coach.

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

All I want for Christmas is a Air Raid Head Coach.

Mike leach isn’t walking through that door lol.

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

He wanted the rocky top job last year he would walk on hot coal to coach Bo Nix and this group of WRs. We will make him walk through that door! haha. But seriously perfect opportunity to cash in. That stud QB of his I think is a grad transfer so it is his last year. 

The problem is that when we hire someone, we have to pay his buyout from another school as well. Iowa State hated us for a long time after we hired Chizik, and Leath is seemingly their revenge. If we weren't shackled to this buyout, we could afford someone like Venables.

1 minute ago, AUwent said:

The problem is that when we hire someone, we have to pay his buyout from another school as well.

The bigger problem would be leaving Gus to coach here tbh.....

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

He wanted the rocky top job last year he would walk on hot coal to coach Bo Nix and this group of WRs. We will make him walk through that door! haha. But seriously perfect opportunity to cash in. That stud QB of his I think is a grad transfer so it is his last year. 

He wouldn’t hold his tongue . That’s for sure. I remember when he pretty much called Craig James son soft lol.

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

He wouldn’t hold his tongue . That’s for sure. I remember when he pretty much called Craig James son soft lol.

God we desperately need someone like that as coach and a big culture change. 

4 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

The bigger problem would be leaving Gus to coach here tbh.....

But would Neal Brown really help at all? Or Bill Clark for that matter? If UAB weren't doing this with a ton of NCAA help--'90s SMU this ain't--then I'd be all for Clark.

15 minutes ago, AUwent said:

But would Neal Brown really help at all? Or Bill Clark for that matter? If UAB weren't doing this with a ton of NCAA help--'90s SMU this ain't--then I'd be all for Clark.

You do not pay a 32 million dollar buyout to hire Neal Brown. But then again this is Auburn. so maybe you do........

23 minutes ago, DAG said:

Did you see his on the field interview postgame leading to our game? That dude is a trip.  He is at least entertaining. 

3 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Did you see his on the field interview postgame leading to our game? That dude is a trip.  He is at least entertaining. 

With Gus we are just a bad football team and miserable without any entertaining speeches or interviews! lol.

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

With Gus we are just a bad football team and miserable without any entertaining speeches or interviews! lol.

That's why I have been in favor of 11 a.m. kickoffs lately.  Get it over with quickly and get on with my day. 

1 minute ago, AUBwins said:

That's why I have been in favor of 11 a.m. kickoffs lately.  Get it over with quickly and get on with my day. 

as much as I hate them when we are good..... yah I am with you when we are bad.

1 hour ago, AUJedi said:

Any chance that losing to Liberty would be a last straw and change Greene’s mind???🤞🤞

If he hasn’t already made his mind up by now probably not. As I stated before I hate it for AG. I like the guy. The truth is if he fails to either fire Gus this year or resign and go elsewhere then Leath will be fired at some point and next year AG and Gus will both be fired and AG will be looking into some other future besides being an AD for a D1 school. That’s just the way it will go for him.

My opinion is that Allen Greene is doing his best with the situation he found. Put yourself in his shoes. Auburn was a huge step up from his previous gig so turning down the opportunity would have been very foolhardy. From the standpoint of a guy who wasn't from this region, Auburn looked OK. He would have heard reassurances that the football program was fine and would have been aware of their reputation and recent victories over a pair of top-ranked rivals. He would have heard about Bruce Pearl's ascendant charges and the nationally competitive women's softball team.

It would have taken his arrival and immersion into the culture, months of discovery before he realized the intricacies of the dynamics in play. That was when he would have discovered this is not as rosy as portrayed and Leath is the one who made it so difficult. 

Greene is the last guy who should catch flak for this. He is in a tight spot with few good courses. His statement last week was the best move he had available. I am quite sure he is more aware of what's really going on, the forces at play and actionable limits than most anyone on this board. 

If there's a guillotine waiting to drop, Leath is the one who should meet it. After him, Malzahn. It's way too early to evaluate Greene now. 

On 11/6/2018 at 11:59 PM, oracle79 said:

I understand his point.  But instead of bitching about it, I was smart enough to put him on ignore.  Now if all of you would stop quoting him or add that feature to the ignore function where you can't see ignored people even when they are quoted, I'd be ecstatic.

Gus will get the Les Miles special next year.

Ironically it'll probably be after we lose at LSU next year. 

9 hours ago, AUwent said:

Wait, we've moved on to UAB is cheating too? I need a scorecard to keep up

7 minutes ago

Auburn now ranks last nationally in time of possession during conference games. The Tigers' offense has been on the field an average of 24:12 in seven SEC games. The defense has been on the field an average of 35:48.

Archived