Gus to be the Auburn f'ball coach next season per Allen Greene

TitanTiger

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, DAG said:

Chip Lindsey was never the answer. Who was really impressed with Chip Lindsey resume? That was another Gus yes man. I am not talking about yes men here. 

Agree 100% ..

2 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Can't do the quote here since it's a premium content post, but Jay Tate on Auburn Rivals has posted a direct quote from Greene saying Gus will be the coach here next season.

It's all over the free press...:gofig:

17 minutes ago, DAG said:

Why would you stay in a situation where you are being dragged down? 

Because Gus lied to him and promised him more control going forward? Because everyone under the sun had to believe that this of all seasons was the time when Gus would trust his OC? Especially just 2 years after he very publicly ceded playcalling to his then OC? Because the right job isn't open every single season and the dude has to feed his family? 

And you can bag on Lindsey's resume all you want but that has nothing to do with Gus's shortcomings or why we're failing this year. If you watch film of Chip Lindsey's offense at ASU, you'll see the exact offense that people have been begging Gus to run for years now. Unfortunately, Gus is still the problem and that is why it's a lot more valid to bitch about the possibility of him coming back than to bitch about the Lindsey hire.

As for what we should talk about in regards to making things better, we've been talking about it for years. But Gus refuses to do the obvious things that would help his team. So talking about that stuff isn't any more useful than whining about him still being our coach. 

It's also not Chip Lindsey's fault that Gus seems to follow a "best player available" philosophy in offensive recruiting rather than recruiting to need, or recruiting for every slot.  That's the opposite of what Steele does on his side of the ball.  So as a result you end up with classes that have no offensive tackles or one RB, but 6 WRs.

2 hours ago, atl-tiger said:

So if the plan is to part ways with Gus at the end of the season you would expect him to state that with 2 rivalry games left?  Thats my point, that will be his answer regardless of what the plan is.  For the record, I think Gus will be back next year.

Or maybe he could have just sad nothing. Like others on here, I'm glad he said something. I have to assume since he chose to say something, he meant it. I'm no more thrilled about the job Gus has done than anyone else, but time to move on IMO.

@OnthePlains you are up brodie!!!! lol

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Because Gus lied to him and promised him more control going forward? Because everyone under the sun had to believe that this of all seasons was the time when Gus would trust his OC? Especially just 2 years after he very publicly ceded playcalling to his then OC? Because the right job isn't open every single season and the dude has to feed his family? 

And you can bag on Lindsey's resume all you want but that has nothing to do with Gus's shortcomings or why we're failing this year. If you watch film of Chip Lindsey's offense at ASU, you'll see the exact offense that people have been begging Gus to run for years now. Unfortunately, Gus is still the problem and that is why it's a lot more valid to bitch about the possibility of him coming back than to bitch about the Lindsey hire.

As for what we should talk about in regards to making things better, we've been talking about it for years. But Gus refuses to do the obvious things that would help his team. So talking about that stuff isn't any more useful than whining about him still being our coach. 

He promised him that when he first came, correct? When he didn't get it his first year he should've bounced. Should Gus have lied? No. But why would you stay in a situation that has already proven to be toxic? Red flag should've went off during the first four games of his stint. What difference does it make now? He is going to freaking get fired. I guess that's much better scenario because this guy got a family to feed.

You can do what you want to do. Me? I am going to move on. 

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

He promised him that when he first came, correct? When he didn't get it his first year he should've bounced. Should Gus have lied? No. But why would you stay in a situation that has already proven to be toxic? Red flag should've went off during the first four games of his stint. What difference does it make now? He is going to freaking get fired. I guess that's much better scenario because this guy got a family to feed.

He's not going to get fired.  He'll be encouraged to find another opportunity. Or even if he does, he'll land somewhere immediately because most people understand Lindsey is a very good OC.  

1 minute ago, DAG said:

After his first four games of 2017 (or was it 3?) he was moved up to the box and Hand was moved down to the field. Also, the offense got really, really good until the SECCG. He had every reason to believe that 2018 would be a lot different than it turned out. We all did. Not to mention that he wasn't going to get nearly as good of an opportunity elsewhere. All signs were pointing to this year being pretty successful. But you're gonna call him stupid because Gus did the unthinkable? I'm not.

I look forward to watching Chip's career bloom elsewhere. He's a good guy and a good coach and he deserves better. 

Just now, TitanTiger said:

He's not going to get fired.  He'll be encouraged to find another opportunity. Or even if he does, he'll land somewhere immediately because most people understand Lindsey is a very good OC.  

Amicable split. Either way. He should've done that last year. At this point, he will be the scapegoat as I predicted at the beginning of the year. You going to let someone else hinder your career? I have no doubt in my mind he will find another job next year. But in the meantime, Auburn football will still have to continue. So what the next step? 

Just now, DAG said:

Amicable split. Either way. He should've done that last year. At this point, he will be the scapegoat as I predicted at the beginning of the year. You going to let someone else hinder your career? I have no doubt in my mind he will find another job next year. But in the meantime, Auburn football will still have to continue. So what the next step? 

He had most of what was expected to be a very good offense with a potential first-rounder at QB.  A team that many felt was a dark horse contender for the SEC.  He probably felt he could endure a little micromanaging if things played out like he thought they would because he might parlay it into a HC gig somewhere.

The next step is for Gus to get his head out of his ass and let his coordinators do their @#$%!^& jobs.

Apparently Gus was responsible for running Kerryon into the ground while Chip was responsible for the offense being really good until the SECCG.

How does that work?

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

After his first four games of 2017 (or was it 3?) he was moved up to the box and Hand was moved down to the field. Also, the offense got really, really good until the SECCG. He had every reason to believe that 2018 would be a lot different than it turned out. We all did. Not to mention that he wasn't going to get nearly as good of an opportunity elsewhere. All signs were pointing to this year being pretty successful. But you're gonna call him stupid because Gus did the unthinkable? I'm not.

I look forward to watching Chip's career bloom elsewhere. He's a good guy and a good coach and he deserves better. 

Yes but supposedly Gus had to be told to do that. So right there that is a HUGE ASS red flag after someone told you when you were hired that he was giving up play calling. You can't trust their word anymore after that. And not only that, he had a bad split with Rhett Lashlee previous to that. So there is two things you could do. You can go toe to toe with Gus and remind him you hired me to do a job or you just settle to be the scapegoat. Either way I don't care about any of that. It's done. I am going to think about what's the next best thing for Auburm football.

I'm just going to say that I don't like the direction our program is headed. Hugh Freeze as the OC is not the answer. Our offensive problems are more than just X's and O's. Freeze isn't going to be able to fix the O-line that much in one year. Freeze's last year at Ole Miss in 2016, he only had 4 games with a 100+ yard rusher. Freeze isn't going to fix our running game. 

The fans and players deserve better. But the brass at Auburn would rather suffer through another 8-4 or 7-5 season next year than to admit and fix the error that was giving a 7 year contract to coach that can't even put together back to back 9 wins seasons. Forget 10 wins, we can't even get 9 wins consistently under Malzahn. 

Just have to bear down and grind out another year of this unfortunately.

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

He had most of what was expected to be a very good offense with a potential first-rounder at QB.  A team that many felt was a dark horse contender for the SEC.  He probably felt he could endure a little micromanaging if things played out like he thought they would because he might parlay it into a HC gig somewhere.

The next step is for Gus to get his head out of his ass and let his coordinators do their @#$%!^& jobs.

Amen brother 

Chip knew what he was getting into when he signed on board. See Lashlee’s comments after he landed at UConn. And by me saying Chip knew what he was getting into, he knew he had to be a yes man and the fall guy. 

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I called him stupid? I just simply said Gus knows when the heck to get out of a situation that he has no advantage of. I am not trying to paint the picture that Chip Lindsey, the individual, is stupid. Don't do that. I am just saying he is his own man. He made the decision to stay after Gus blatantly lied to his face. Now he will have to be the scapegoat.

2 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Chip knew what he was getting into when he signed on board. See Lashlee’s comments after he landed at UConn. And by me saying Chip knew what he was getting into, he knew he had to be a yes man and the fall guy. 

Horse***t. That was not the job he signed up for and what he was told. 

Horse***t. That was not the job he signed up for and what he was told. 

He was an analyst for Gus prior to the OC stint. He knew he’d be a yes man. Let’s cut the crap. He’s been calling plays out of Gus’s playbook since he’s been here. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

You implied it, yes.

I don't imply anything. You should know that by now. Do I think him staying was a foolish act? Yes. Do I think he is stupid? No. I think Lebron James going to the lakers was foolish. Do I think Lebron James, the person, is stupid? No. 

8 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Same as it ever was, I'm afraid.

Just now, DAG said:

I don't imply anything. You should know that by now. Do I think him staying was a foolish act? Yes. Do I think he is stupid? No. I think Lebron James going to the lakers was foolish. Do I think Lebron James, the person, is stupid? No. 

Okay. I can live with a difference of semantics. Foolish, then.

Archived