Gus to be the Auburn f'ball coach next season per Allen Greene

TitanTiger

3 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

Well that topic is now dead until next year. Let’s try and build on our 7-6 record this offseason and find us some more transfer OL. 

Agreed!  Lets build the Football Complex, get the bag men packed up and on the recruiting trail and buckle down for another uphill battle of a season in '19.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

“The opportunity coach (Randy) Edsall's given me - someone who's had a lot of success as a head coach, particularly at UConn - the opportunity he's going to give me to run the offense how I'd like to and kind of stretch myself and grow as a coach and kind of get out of my comfort zone a little bit, it's just a chance to maybe go up there and help him do something not a lot of people expect. Doesn't make sense to a lot of people but I don't worry about that."

Lashlee had to go elsewhere to run an offense but I’m supposed to believe that Chip thought he was going to come in to run an offense? That dog don’t hunt. 

Just now, keesler said:

Agreed!  Lets build the Football Complex, get the bag men packed up and on the recruiting trail and buckle down for another uphill battle of a season in '19.

Hear Hear

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

“The opportunity coach (Randy) Edsall's given me - someone who's had a lot of success as a head coach, particularly at UConn - the opportunity he's going to give me to run the offense how I'd like to and kind of stretch myself and grow as a coach and kind of get out of my comfort zone a little bit, it's just a chance to maybe go up there and help him do something not a lot of people expect. Doesn't make sense to a lot of people but I don't worry about that."

Lashlee had to go elsewhere to run an offense but I’m supposed to believe that Chip thought he was going to come in to run an offense? That dog don’t hunt. 

This is my thinking too. I am not placing all the blame on CCL. He was a perfect opportunity for him. But as soon as I saw that Gus lied right to my face, I would’ve definitely had some suitors in my back pocket. The same way Gus was clever ( I won't say smart) to know he needed to have a backup plan after that LSU game. 

Guest WarEagleSteve
12 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

I'm just going to say that I don't like the direction our program is headed. Hugh Freeze as the OC is not the answer. Our offensive problems are more than just X's and O's. Freeze isn't going to be able to fix the O-line that much in one year. Freeze's last year at Ole Miss in 2016, he only had 4 games with a 100+ yard rusher. Freeze isn't going to fix our running game. 

The fans and players deserve better. But the brass at Auburn would rather suffer through another 8-4 or 7-5 season next year than to admit and fix the error that was giving a 7 year contract to coach that can't even put together back to back 9 wins seasons. Forget 10 wins, we can't even get 9 wins consistently under Malzahn. 

Just have to bear down and grind out another year of this unfortunately.

You do realize that "consistently getting to 9 wins" is something of a rarity at Auburn, yeah? Pat Dye is the only Auburn coach in the last 60 years to put together back-to-back 10 win seasons and consecutive 9 win seasons has only happened 5 times in the last 30 years. Gus is an underachiever to be certain but let's be clear about what our expectations are.

2 hours ago, atl-tiger said:

Even if hes gone, would you expect him to say anything different?  

He could say I evaluate all coaches at the end of their season, period.  

Instead Greene elaborated, mentioned the youth on the team, the expectations and desires of Coach and the fans and noted that Gus knows how to handle adversity.  Greene didn't need to say so what he said.  He supports Gus and backed it up heavily, IMO. 

3 minutes ago, WarEagleSteve said:

You do realize that "consistently getting to 9 wins" is something of a rarity at Auburn, yeah? Pat Dye is the only Auburn coach in the last 60 years to put together back-to-back 10 win seasons and consecutive 9 win seasons has only happened 5 times in the last 30 years. Gus is an underachiever to be certain but let's be clear about what our expectations are.

Our expectations are to continue evolve from a top 15 program to a top 10/top 5 program. That means 9-10 wins every year.

I will never understand the argument "Auburn can't be a consistent winner because it never has been." Florida never had been before Spurrier. UGA wasn't prior to Smart. Oregon wasn't before Chip Kelly.

Auburn has ALL the resources to be a consistent powerhouse and we need people who won't accept anything less. 

3 hours ago, Auburn Kev said:

Dang, Mikey has got some pull. 

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

Our expectations are to continue evolve from a top 15 program to a top 10/top 5 program. That means 9-10 wins every year.

I will never understand the argument "Auburn can't be a consistent winner because it never has been." Florida never had been before Spurrier. UGA wasn't prior to Smart. Oregon wasn't before Chip Kelly.

Auburn has ALL the resources to be a consistent powerhouse and we need people who won't accept anything less. 

Agreed, I hate that loser mentality.

13 minutes ago, WarEagleSteve said:

The difference is that we've now had two coaches in a row going back 10 years consistently recruiting at a very high level. We are and have been a top-10 team in terms of talent for years now. That means that we can continue to be one. And it is time to start playing like one.

By the way, I continue to give Gus a ton of credit for the makeup of this roster.

3 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Dang, Mikey has got some pull. 

He is tbe literal eye of the tiger. Has been confirmed by unnamed sources. Story at 10

Next year will suck regardless of who the coach is. But if Malzahn stays, this year’s recruiting class should largely remain intact. If he is let go, you can kiss this year’s class goodbye. And suffer the consequences two/three years from now.

10 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Exactly. Auburn has won in SPITE of some really bad coaches. That is a testament to how freaking amazing and great we can be when we find our Dabo. If clemson can get lucky and find a coach like that so can we.

Just now, auburnphan said:

Agreed, I hate that loser mentality.

Another thing the "lowered expectations" doesn't realize is how far Auburn has come in the last 20 years. I would say we are currently (not literally this season, but in terms of overall status) a top 10 college football program.

Monetarily, we are valued in the top 10. We have as many SEC titles as anyone in that time frame. Cam Newton. Our facilities are top notch. We recruit consitently in the top 10. And our 3-4 national title run seasons (also counting 2004 and last year) have taken us from respectable program to a very familiar, relevant player in the NC conversation. This was not always the case. 

Auburn has made big strides in terms of how the country and even our own fans view our program. Time to take the next step.

5 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

Next year will suck regardless of who the coach is. But if Malzahn stays, this year’s recruiting class should largely remain intact. If he is let go, you can kiss this year’s class goodbye. And suffer the consequences two/three years from now.

To be fair we are suffering the consequences of Malzahns crutin or lack thereof when it comes to the OL this year and for a few years after this. AU reminds me of how FSU looked at the end of jimbos time in tally. Also we do not seem to be rectifying that problem either this recruiting class as well  when it comes to the OL. ESPECIALLY the tackle position.

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

Exactly. Auburn has won in SPITE of some really bad coaches. That is a testament to how freaking amazing and great we can be when we find our Dabo. If clemson can get lucky and find a coach like that so can we.

Clemson is a fantastic example. We are one man away. Clemson historically has been our FOOTSTOOL. Every single resource their program has is lesser than ours. They are Diet Auburn. Yet, they are now a lock in the NC conversation. We can absolutely be a consistent 10 win team if we find the right guy.

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

To be fair we are suffering the consequences of Malzahns crutin or lack thereof when it comes to the OL this year and for a few years after this. AU reminds me of how FSU looked at the end of jimbos time in tally. Also we do not seem to be rectifying that problem either this recruiting class as well  when it comes to the OL. ESPECIALLY the tackle position.

So this year's class is a poor class? 

Just now, AUght2win said:

Clemson is a fantastic example. We are one man away. Clemson historically has been our FOOTSTOOL. Every single resource their program has is lesser than ours. They are Diet Auburn. Yet, they are now a lock in the NC conversation. We can absolutely be a consistent 10 win team if we find the right guy.

And that is why I am not wary to hiring and firing coaches when YOU KNOW if we have that guy or not. It is obvious we do not have that guy. We know what that guy looks like and this is not anywhere close to it. 

All I ask is a return of the 2013/14 offense. Get there and we're all singing Kumbaya into late November.

28 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Maybe if Gus was a defensive coach...but he is not. Whoever his OC is will run his base offense...I can’t think of a scenario where an offensive coach has hired an OC and just looked the other way. 

9 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

Which might mean we need him to be here one more year so the next staff can make something out of the freshman we have now and those coming in next season. lol

6 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

So this year's class is a poor class? 

When it comes to the OL? yes. One 4 star Guard and then 1 OT who is a project. That is it so far. We do not lead or are relatively close to any Offensive tackles who are difference makers either. YAY. Another swing and a miss when it comes to O Line crutin. The problem is getting worse not better.

Guest WarEagleSteve
5 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Chip Kelly nearly burned Oregon's program to the ground from an NCAA standpoint in turning them into a contender and they haven't been a "winner" since he left. UGA averaged 10 wins a year under Mark Richt and won half a dozen division titles and two SEC titles during that time so saying they "weren't a winner" prior to Smart getting there is patently false. Yes, Spurrier turned Florida into the most dominant SEC program of the 90s. They've also spent nearly as long wandering the proverbial wilderness during the time that he and Urban Meyer weren't the coach. Yes, Auburn has the resources to be a top 10 program in college football. You know who else does too? Penn State, Texas A&M, Tennessee, Michigan, Notre Dame, and a half dozen others. You know why they aren't? Because Nick Sabans, Steve Spurriers, and Urban Meyers don't grow on trees. Finding a quality football coach is hard. Finding someone who's going to average 10 wins a year in the SEC West year in and year out not named Nick Saban is borderline impossible. Hell, Georgia and LSU both had guys that did exactly that and fired both of them. I have as much issue with Gus underachieving with this amount of roster talent as anyone but this idea that we should fire him for it is how we'll wind up with our version of Derek Dooley. 

Archived