Gus to be the Auburn f'ball coach next season per Allen Greene

TitanTiger

Guest WarEagleSteve
12 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

None of this addresses your initial argument that Auburn should temper its expectations because it has never had a coach win consistently. 

It's time for those statements to stop being made. If you want to follow a school that has 8 win expectations with an occasional title run, check out Virginia Tech or West Virginia or Michigan State. Auburn has left that tier behind. 

We now have all the tools to establish ourselves as a perennial power. This isn't 1997 Auburn. 

Look, I have as many quibbles with Gus as anyone else. He consistently underachieves relative to talent level and the same issues seem to crop up year after year after year. I expect Auburn to contend for the SEC West year in and year out and Gus hasn't done the best job of that. Auburn has every right to expect more out of a guy getting paid $7 million a year.

That being said, a lot of Auburn fans are acting like Gus is the second coming of Doug Barfield. He's been far from that. My initial argument was pointing out that, historically speaking, Gus matches up reasonably well with some of Auburn's all time greats and that, as fans, we should be careful with calling for someone's head when they don't meet a standard that historically hasn't been the easiest thing in the world to achieve. That's a really good way to mess around and wind up with a Derek Dooley or a Jim McElwain. 

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Texan4Auburn said:

What? Richt was at Georgia for like 15 years and only 4 of those were under 9 wins. 3 of them being 8 wins and one 6 win.

A bunch of 9 win seasons, culminating in an Outback or Capital One Bowl win isn't what I'm talking about. Richt was fine. But his record was deceiving. Very few of his seasons was UGA actually a contender. He just won nearly all his bowl games to put them at 9 or 10 wins. Richt was at Georgia for 15 seasons. During his final 8, he did not make a BCS/Big 6 bowl. Hell, Gus has done better than that.

4 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Now repeat after me 64. YOU. WILL. LOVE. BRUCE. PEARL. GOING. FORWARD. That is all we ask of you!!! I do not even hold the gus love against you anymore! lol. You cannot help it! haha.

Just like with Gus....I will love Bruce until his team does not win as many games as we think he should😁.....after that...:dunno:

6 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

We have had some damn coaches then. After  all Gus is playing in the SECCG on average one out of every three years. 

And when we're not playing the SECCG, we're floundering in the West at 4th place in 2014, last in 2015, T-2nd in 2016, and currently T-3rd in 2018.

2 minutes ago, corchjay said:

He just beat Saban and Kirby's ass last year.  Trust me when Saban and Kirby look at their schedules every year AU is where they look first.  

Jesus give it up.  I think if you average out Gus' record as a coach he's something like 9-4...  He will be back next year.  Let's hope he and the team get better.  We still have 8-10 spots remaining in recruiting let's see what happens the remainder of the season and and the recruiting cycle.  

I have never in the life of me seen so many AU people wanting AU to fail because of the coach.  

No coach has ever divided the fan base as much as Gus. He is a divisive figure as we have ever seen at AU. He is toxic for the fan base. He does not have the support of a lot of fans and big money people. More apathy will set in this offseason and going in to next season. Yah he will be back next year. Woopty doo. That is Gus. Does just enough to keep his job then falls on his face again. There is way less to be excited about next season than there was coming in to this season. And look at how this season turned out. I want him out so AU will not continue to fail.

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

Just like with Gus....I will love Bruce until his team does not win as many games as we think he should😁.....after that...:dunno:

LOL.  Yeah if Bruce don't take us to the elite 8 this year then we should fire him.  Heck if it just appears we won't make the elite 8 we should fire him... it's year what 4 or 5... Woooohooo!

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

Apparently Gus was responsible for running Kerryon into the ground while Chip was responsible for the offense being really good until the SECCG.

How does that work?

I'm not so big on the "running him into the ground" thing.... although he does.  If a player is healthy and he's "Tha Man", ride him while he's hot.

But it's irresponsible to not prepare backups with meaningful carries.  And playing KJ in the SECCG was inexcusable.  Too bad they didn't have a trusted back-up prepared...

5 minutes ago, corchjay said:

He just beat Saban and Kirby's ass last year.  Trust me when Saban and Kirby look at their schedules every year AU is where they look first.  

Jesus give it up.  I think if you average out Gus' record as a coach he's something like 9-4...  He will be back next year.  Let's hope he and the team get better.  We still have 8-10 spots remaining in recruiting let's see what happens the remainder of the season and and the recruiting cycle.  

I have never in the life of me seen so many AU people wanting AU to fail because of the coach.  

Over the last 5 he is 39-23. Right at about 8-5.

Guest WarEagleSteve
9 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Gus is the coach in the last 50 seasons who has wasted the most talent and consistently underachieved the most at AU. Is that the bar now? Not having a losing season. O BOY! 7-5 here we come baby!! BUCKLE UP kirby and saban we coming for you! lol.

Gus has been here for five complete seasons. His average record for them is 9-3. Auburn has produced two 10 win seasons since he's been here, both resulting in SEC West titles. He's been to a bowl game every year, three of them being New Year's Day bowls. His SEC winning percentage is higher than both Pat Dye and Shug Jordan. Auburn has achieved quite a bit under Gus. Has it been as much as we've arguably been capable of? Of course not but can we please not act like the sky is falling because the dude's going to go 7-5. 

I think Mr. Greene checked with some of the "can't-lose coaches":

John Heisman:  Interested, but unavailable

Shug Jordan:  Interested, but unavailable

Bear Bryant:  Not-interested, and unavailable 

Vince Lombardi:  Interested, but unavailable

Don Shula:  Interested, but unavailable

Joe Paterno:  Interested, but unavailable

Nick Saban:  Has current contractual obligations

Pat Dye:  "a special situation"

Gus Malzahn is a mortal and fallible man, but he's "awfully available"

Seriously, I think Allen announced the right decision. 

War Damn Eagle!

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

No coach has ever divided the fan base as much as Gus. He is a divisive figure as we have ever seen at AU. He is toxic for the fan base. He does not have the support of a lot of fans and big money people. More apathy will set in this offseason and going in to next season. Yah he will be back next year. Woopty doo. That is Gus. Does just enough to keep his job then falls on his face again. There is way less to be excited about next season than there was coming in to this season. And look at how this season turned out. I want him out so AU will not continue to fail.

With Gus a part of the program for 10 years minus 1... we have been to 3 SEC championships, winning 2, won a national champion while losing another.  Beat the greatest coach of all time on a regular basis...  I can see why he would be so divisive.  We've had a suck ass year so far.   Things happen.  If it happens next year where we look next year like we have this year then I'm all for giving him the boot.  

1 minute ago, corchjay said:

LOL.  Yeah if Bruce don't take us to the elite 8 this year then we should fire him.  Heck if it just appears we won't make the elite 8 we should fire him... it's year what 4 or 5... Woooohooo!

Bruce winning the SEC at AU is like when Spurrier won the ACC at Duke. A little different. There is not 1 good reason why not every single fan we have does not love bruce pearl and embrace him. Getting 4 and 5 stars to play at AU for basketball is like Vandy getting those kind of players in football. 

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

In fairness....that IS a coach's standard right?

Win as many games as your fans demand?

No coach survives who doesn't win what the fans demand.  ... especially the ones who donate gobs of cash to the U.

1 minute ago, WarEagleSteve said:

Gus has been here for five complete seasons. His average record for them is 9-3. Auburn has produced two 10 win seasons since he's been here, both resulting in SEC West titles. He's been to a bowl game every year, three of them being New Year's Day bowls. His SEC winning percentage is higher than both Pat Dye and Shug Jordan. Auburn has achieved quite a bit under Gus. Has it been as much as we've arguably been capable of? Of course not but can we please not act like the sky is falling because the dude's going to go 7-5. 

He is the worst bowl game coach I have ever seen. Thank God Fuente took the Va Tech job or he would be 0fer. The sky is falling when what is this the third time he has been in the pre season top 10 and massively fails expectations? 

3 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

A bunch of 9 win seasons, culminating in an Outback or Capital One Bowl win isn't what I'm talking about. Richt was fine. But his record was deceiving. Very few of his seasons was UGA actually a contender. He just won nearly all his bowl games to put them at 9 or 10 wins. Richt was at Georgia for 15 seasons. During his final 8, he did not make a BCS/Big 6 bowl. Hell, Gus has done better than that.

So then what you are looking for is someone that consistently wins 11/12 plus games a year then not 9-10 as previously stated.

3 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

And when we're not playing the SECCG, we're floundering in the West at 4th place in 2014, last in 2015, T-2nd in 2016, and currently T-3rd in 2018.

I’m guessing you also think the rest of our coaches in the past 30 years also had us floundering a lot. 

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Bruce winning the SEC at AU is like when Spurrier won the ACC at Duke. A little different. There is not 1 good reason why not every single fan we have does not love bruce pearl and embrace him. Getting 4 and 5 stars to play at AU for basketball is like Vandy getting those kind of players in football. 

We are Auburn remember.  We've invested the money in facilities and coaches to be successful.  The expectation is number 11 many of whom think we are rated to low.  So anything other  then an elite 8 run is a failure...  If we are setting standards then lets set the standard

Who needs bowl games when 90% of them have come after playoff failures. Hell auburn fans have stopped even coming to them 

im shocked anyone came to that Memphis bowl game. I’m shocked anyone that isn’t a student comes to any auburn game honestly. Why are we even on television? 

Please beat georgia Gus 😔

I can't say this is any surprise. By the AD giving Malzahn his 7th year. as AU's coach, we will watch the Tigers go through another 8-4 or 8-5 record. Enjoy.

Just now, corchjay said:

We are Auburn remember.  We've invested the money in facilities and coaches to be successful.  The expectation is number 11 many of whom think we are rated to low.  So anything other  then an elite 8 run is a failure...  If we are setting standards then lets set the standard

Why would you support Gus more than you would a actual proven consistent winner who has taken every team he has coached to at to a conference title? I just do not understand. Sure this team has elite 8 talent. Will it get there? IDK. The win or go home element of the tourney makes it impossible to predict. 

5 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I’m guessing you also think the rest of our coaches in the past 30 years also had us floundering a lot. 

Tubs was notorious with coming up short in the West with either co-West finishes losing the tie breaker or 2nd place finishes.

1999, 2003, and 2008 were the only years we finished worst than 2nd in the West under Tubs.

And Tubs never finished last in the West like Gus did in 2015.

6 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

So then what you are looking for is someone that consistently wins 11/12 plus games a year then not 9-10 as previously stated.

I'm looking for a coach that wins 9-10 games that matter per year. Richt didn't do that. Hence his 8 final years without a conference title or big bowl appearance.

Guest WarEagleSteve
Just now, Auburnfan91 said:

Tubs was notorious with coming up short in the West with either co-West finishes losing the tie breaker or 2nd place finishes.

1999, 2003, and 2008 were the only years we finished worst than 2nd in the West under Tubs.

Tubs also didn't have to deal with Nick Saban at Alabama except at the end. The SEC West is more talented now than it's ever been. 15 years ago, Alabama was going through its post Albert Means turmoil, the Moo Cows were stuck in the Sly Croom era, Ole Miss had Farmer Fran 1.0, Arkansas was average more years than not, and Texas A&M had yet to join the division. Tubs had to get Auburn up for LSU, Georgia, and the Iron Bowl and that's about it to contend for the division. There are basically no guaranteed wins in the SEC West now except maybe Arkansas. I think that's worth acknowledging. 

Archived