Election Night 2018 Thread

Brad_ATX

Figured this would be a good place to congregate as results and exit polls come in.

* Side note:  When I voted last week, I unintentionally wore my USA t-shirt to the polls.  I couldn't help but laugh when it hit me.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good idea. I did my thing in Florida this afternoon. Think I'm going to forget about it for a few hours and enjoy some opening season basketball. 

At least now I hope my phone quits blowing up with texts.

Just got home from performing my civic duty, stopping in on the way home from work. Steady. Poll worker said they were slammed this morning. 

Florida Senate race going to the wire.

I'm dumbfounded that Beto is doing this well in Texas.  Thought he had no shot at the start of the day.  Now I think it's at least possible.

52 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Florida Senate race going to the wire.

I'm dumbfounded that Beto is doing this well in Texas.  Thought he had no shot at the start of the day.  Now I think it's at least possible.

Perhaps probable. Quite amazing.

16 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

Perhaps probable. Quite amazing.

It really is.  Depending on how all of this breaks, Senate control could conceivably come down to a special election in Mississippi of all places.

3 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Fox calls the house for the dems with the margin unclear. 

What do those snowflakes know? :lol:

5 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

So much for Blue Wave. Blue Night maybe b/c of House? I say get ready for gridlock. Rs can still appoint their judges.

Anyone that has paid any sort of attention to polling knew a split was the most likely outcome. 

2 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Anyone that has paid any sort of attention to polling new a split was the most likely outcome. 

And history my friend. 

8 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Anyone that has paid any sort of attention to polling knew a split was the most likely outcome. 

I hate it when I delete a post within seconds but someone quotes it. LOL

You heard of the “blue wave” theories, right? Doesn’t mean I accuse you of buying into it.

17 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

NBC just projected Cruz

As did CNN.

From Bloomberg:

Democrats Take Control of House as They Aim to Thwart Trump
By Erik Wasson and Catherine Dodge | November 6, 2018 10:25PM ET | Bloomberg Government

Democrats clinched the U.S. House majority, halting Republicans’ eight-year reign as voters delivered a rebuke to President Donald Trump, according to projections from NBC and FOX. Republicans have kept control of the Senate.

Democrats will likely surpass the net gain of 23 seats they needed to win House control. Democrats plan to launch a string of investigations into Trump ahead of the 2020 presidential election while attempting to strike a deal on increased infrastructure spending.

The victory capitalized on Trump’s persistently low approval rating, which never reached 50 percent in most polls despite a booming economy.

1 minute ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Scary night for Wall Street.... (ehem, Maxine Waters)

God please help us. 

From Bloomberg:

Republicans Clinch Control of U.S. Senate With Decisive Wins

By 

Republicans kept control of the Senate, empowering President Donald Trump to appoint more conservative federal judges and agency officials while shielding him from Senate Democratic efforts to investigate his administration.

This is a general statement about life. On my ballot today, I counted 22 Offices up for election UNOPPOSED. Folks, any organization that gets that much power in politics is going to end up corrupted. I think Human History and Human Character will bear me out here. Just in Decatur, Morgan County, and in the State of Alabama, when you have 22 political offices essentially being elected by a few hundred primary voters...THAT SHOULD SCARE THE HELL OUT OF ANYONE . I dont care how much faith you have in a political party or even the politicians themselves, any organization that can exist without opposition is going to end badly. We all know how humans work. We are a troublesome species that tends to love doing things we, later on, wish we hadnt done. Over time, that much power put in the hands of a few is going to end badly. And you can remember I said so.

4 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

This is a general statement about life. On my ballot today, I counted 22 Offices up for election UNOPPOSED. Folks, any organization that gets that much power in politics is going to end up corrupted. I think Human History and Human Character will bear me out here. Just in Decatur, Morgan County, and in the State of Alabama, when you have 22 political offices essentially being elected by a few hundred primary voters...THAT SHOULD SCARE THE HELL OUT OF ANYONE . I dont care how much faith you have in a political party or even the politicians themselves, any organization that can exist without opposition is going to end badly. We all know how humans work. We are a troublesome species that tends to love doing things we, later on, wish we hadnt done. Over time, that much power put in the hands of a few is going to end badly. And you can remember I said so.

Right you are. I didn't count but Mississippi had a number of the unopposed races. More than ever remember seeing before. 

Archived