Election Night 2018 Thread

Brad_ATX

2 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

A liberal like him should have never even sniffed a shot at a Senate seat against a Republican incumbent in Texas, but Cruz barely squeaked by with 50.9% of the vote.  Now some of that is because Cruz is a worm and a complete beta - all you have to do is look at the fact that Trump still has teeth after insulting Mrs. Cruz's looks and callnig Ted's father a murderer.  But the bottom line is, Democrats don't win statewide races in Texas much anymore.  Trump won that state by about 750,000 votes and without Gary Johnson siphoning off a bunch of votes, he likely wins by almost a million.  Cruz pulls this one out by about 200,000 out of 8.4 million votes cast?

I think we haven't heard the last of this kid.

Yet, the governor won by 13%. I don't think it's Texas. Rather, it's Cruz. 

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, alexava said:

I’ll take that as a compliment. 

If you like being in the minority so be it. But don't call the majority disgusting.

AND Beto had $70M from the OUTSIDE. Beto with over 800 people on his payroll. Cruz with 18. Perhaps legislation will be passed to prevent that in the future, and I mean nationwide. There's something "off" about donors in other states financially impacting races in other jurisdictions. 

@Brad_ATX Objectively, can't you see that as a valid concern? I am talking not just in reference to Beto. Happens too much. Doesn't sit well.  

13 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

As I said to Titan, I think that has more to do with Cruz than it does the state. Just look at governor margin. 

Oh it's partially to do with Cruz for sure.  He's pretty dang unpopular among Republicans here, as is Trump actually.  Remember that DT only won the state by 9 points in 2016, where the governor just won by 13 and historically, the Republican POTUS candidate wins by double-digits.

9 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

AND Beto had $70M from the OUTSIDE. Beto with over 800 people on his payroll. Cruz with 18. Perhaps legislation will be passed to prevent that in the future, and I mean nationwide. There's something "off" about donors in other states financially impacting races in other jurisdictions. 

@Brad_ATX Objectively, can't you see that as a valid concern? I am talking not just in reference to Beto. Happens too much. Doesn't sit well.  

I can agree that money from other states should probably stay away from inside-state races.  But if you do that, you're also removing a lot of PAC money from races too (which I would 100% support).  The thing to remember with Beto is that while a bunch of his money came from outside, it also came from individual donors.  No PAC or special interest money.  It's why I think he may be a real threat in 2020 to take the nomination for the Dems.

2 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

The thing to remember with Beto is that while a bunch of his money came from outside, it also came from individual donors.

Yeah, that does not really change my perspective on it. Circumventing the bounds of local adversarial elections. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Bingo. You could run a bucket of rocks under one ticket or the other and be guaranteed a landslide win in certain areas. Alabama is one such area. Well, unless said bucket is a rapist and pedophile. Then it would lose narrowly.

Here?

Whatever. We love our Meemaws in the South. 

@Proud Tiger this IS disgusting. We had good options in the primary and a great option last night but he had the wrong letter beside his name. But we now have a cuckoo in office. 

1 hour ago, alexava said:

@Proud Tiger this IS disgusting. We had good options in the primary and a great option last night but he had the wrong letter beside his name. But we now have a cuckoo in office. 

Again your opinion but you don't always respect other people's opinion. A huge majority of Alabama voters disagree with you.

4 hours ago, alexava said:

I think very few  in the state or country gives any thought to electing any candidate not in their own party. The idea that anyone at all voted for an old woman just because she’s an old woman who couldn’t possibly rape anyone or dip his minnow in the wrong bucket is beyond disturbing. She never got put on the spot. Never had to wing it. Never passed or even sat for a test, even an open book test. We just stuck her right in there with nothing to go on. Bad bad politics. 

Well, I think people largely felt like they did have something to go on.  She's been on the job for the last 18 months.  I agree that she should have debated, but it's not like people had no idea what they were getting with her.  She was a known quantity in Alabama politics already and had the air of an incumbent.

But yes, most people just vote based on party.  Period.  The End. 

8 hours ago, gr82be said:

Right you are. I didn't count but Mississippi had a number of the unopposed races. More than ever remember seeing before. 

In 2016, we had 14 Unopposed Elections on my Ballot. So for one complete 4-year cycle, in Decatur, Morgan Country, In my district, we had 34 offices claimed by Republicans WITHOUT EVEN A CHALLENGE. If you cant see the issue with that and arent scared for yourself and your children, you need to read history. That 'sounds' like The Nazis, The Soviets, The Chinese, The Ayatollah etc. They all ended badly.

33 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Again your opinion but you don't always respect other people's opinion. A huge majority of Alabama voters disagree with you.

A bigger majority of Alabama voters pray to Bear Bryant and have more pictures of Nick Saban in their living room than their grandchildren. And they also chose a geriatric with a declining mind who refused to debate and only answered questions her staff pre-approved. I don’t think we are any better off than with Bentley. She will eventually embarrass y’all as bad as he did. 

6 minutes ago, alexava said:

A bigger majority of Alabama voters pray to Bear Bryant and have more pictures of Nick Saban in their living room than their grandchildren. And they also chose a geriatric with a declining mind who refused to debate and only answered questions her staff pre-approved. I don’t think we are any better off than with Bentley. She will eventually embarrass y’all as bad as he did. 

That's BS. I guess you also have no respect for voters in Lee County, home of the University you claim to like. Last I saw it was Ivey 59% to 41%, again a huge majority.

11 minutes ago, alexava said:

Also, with Alabama ranking where it does in things like education, obesity, unemployment, teen pregnancy, etc. we should totally keep doing things the way most Alabamians want them done. 

3 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

That's BS. I guess you also have no respect for voters in Lee County, home of the University you claim to like. Last I saw it was Ivey 59% to 41%, again a huge majority.

PT, you have got to stop making this argument.  I mean, I voted for Ivey and don't agree with all the things alex is saying here, but popularity doesn't make something right or better and you trot out TV ratings or vote totals or whatever other majority you think makes your argument for you all the time.  It's a logical fallacy and you need to quit falling back on it as a tactic.  alex even pointed out the flaw in your logic - the majority of people in this state think Bear Bryant and Nick Saban are practically 2/3rds of the Holy Trinity, but that doesn't make their opinions on collegiate athletics carry any more weight than anyone else's.

And disagreeing with a popular position doesn't mean you disrespect those on the other side.  It just means you disagree.

10 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

PT, you have got to stop making this argument.  I mean, I voted for Ivey and don't agree with all the things alex is saying here, but popularity doesn't make something right or better and you trot out TV ratings or vote totals or whatever other majority you think makes your argument for you all the time.  It's a logical fallacy and you need to quit falling back on it as a tactic.  alex even pointed out the flaw in your logic - the majority of people in this state think Bear Bryant and Nick Saban are practically 2/3rds of the Holy Trinity, but that doesn't make their opinions on collegiate athletics carry any more weight than anyone else's.

And disagreeing with a popular position doesn't mean you disrespect those on the other side.  It just means you disagree.

I didn't call Ivey a cuckoo or imply the results of the majority were disgusting. And when did providing facts/results become bad when arguing with someone. Can you back up your silly comments about bama and the Holy Trinity?

I guess the majority of voters all over Alabama are disgusting.

https://www.wbrc.com/2018/11/07/election-results-alabama-general-election/

And when did providing facts/results become bad when arguing with someone.

When you think your opinion carries more weight simply because it wins a popularity contest.  It's such a common fallacious debating tactic it has a name:  Argumentum Ad Populum, or an appeal to popularity.

Can you back up your silly comments about bama and the Holy Trinity?

Are you really so dense that you can't catch hyperbole when it slaps you in the mouth?

29 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

In 2016, we had 14 Unopposed Elections on my Ballot. So for one complete 4-year cycle, in Decatur, Morgan Country, In my district, we had 34 offices claimed by Republicans WITHOUT EVEN A CHALLENGE. If you cant see the issue with that and arent scared for yourself and your children, you need to read history. That 'sounds' like The Nazis, The Soviets, The Chinese, The Ayatollah etc. They all ended badly.

But I can’t say i blame anyone. Maddox was exponentially a better candidate than Ivey and lost 40/60. Our damn county chairman ran in the primary with fliers stating his pro- life , pro- gun beliefs. Then was just exposed as a pure idiot in the local debate. ( this is the primary when I voted on the republican side to support some local candidates) He had no idea the chairman only votes when the commissioners’ votes are tied. He won going away. We are engulfed with shitgibbons. Our sheriff just won his tenth and final term as a Democrat. He was a Marine, State trooper and highly successful sheriff for 36 years. He won but 57%-43 to a 30 year old with zero law enforcement experience but a strong supporter of the second amendment. He’s a certified nut according to people close to his family and got 14,000 votes. Candidates  don’t have to show any competency on issues that actually pertain to the office they seek. Just stir up the shitgibbons and win. A few weeks ago Kay Ivey was touting her support for Brett Kavanaugh. That should be an insult the Republican Party. 

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

When you think your opinion carries more weight simply because it wins a popularity contest.  It's such a common fallacious debating tactic it has a name:  Argumentum Ad Populum, or an appeal to popularity.

I have literally taught this concept at AU.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Also, with Alabama ranking where it does in things like education, obesity, unemployment, teen pregnancy, etc. we should totally keep doing things the way most Alabamians want them done. 

I was thinking this too. Normally communities decide to change things if they aren't working and replace the people who aren't working for the community. Alabama seems to be Alabama's own worst enemy, though. Well I recently moved up to Virginia for work, so I don't have to worry about it anymore. Good luck to all you folks still in Alabama. I hope things start to get better for you, eventually. It was nice to feel like my vote actually counted, for once. 

21 hours ago, AUDub said:

Anyone that has paid any sort of attention to polling knew a split was the most likely outcome. 

"New a split" So I passed on the obvious and headed to Dairy Queen in hopes of a new treat. :dunno:

In my defense, my attention was split watching us smack USA around last night. 

13 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Unfortunately, in the SJW/Snowflake/Antifa World we live in, Argumentum Ad Populum is about as deep as a lot of conversations or thoughts go.
Then again, the Alt-Right seems to have embraced the concept of "If the majority believe it, it must be wrong."

• 1 month later...

Archived