Men vs. South Alabama

WarTiger

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, Gene Loblaw said:

I don’t think anyone on that ‘99 team would even start for our current beloved Tigers. 

If you mean the 98'99 team I don't know about that. I love all our players but I would probably start Doc Robinson's silky smooth consistency over Harper's sometimes streaky play. Also even though Chuma has the higher up side & better skill set it's hard to argue starting him over Chris Porter at the 4 given the year he had & him being the spark plug of the team that season.

pulled a few stats.  both the 98 team and the 99 team played 10 guys double digit minutes.

98 team was 11th in country in scoring at 81.2 pts/gm and 29-4 (14-2).

doc vs harper?  I love doc, but harper is a touch more dynamic in my book, even though maybe less consistent.

brown over pohlman.

mclemore/wiley over mamadou.  loved ndiaye but his primary thing was blocking shots.  todays guys do more and are effective rim protectors.

bryant smith vs ??? (okeke/DP/doughty/???)  i love our guys now but its hard not to want a bryant smith on the court.  the dude simply did a bit of everything.  that is a hard one.

same goes for chris porter.  he wasnt a shooter or a distrubuter, but if you have chris porter - you put him on the floor.

This is a really interesting comparison.  we seem to have a touch more defined 1-5 position players this year, although everyone except wiley and harper can play at least 2 positions.  the 98 team had N'Diaye, Porter and a pile of guards.  As far as teams go, I'm leaning this years team and last years team over the 98 team, but I sure did love the guys on the 98 team and that team won a bunch of games.

EDIT - the 98 team led the country in offensive rebounds and 4th in total rebounds.  13th in steals.  we could score, rebound and play defense.  that'll win you 29 games.

1 minute ago, mustache eagle said:

bryant smith vs ??? (okeke/DP/doughty/???)  i love our guys now but its hard not to want a bryant smith on the court.  the dude simply did a bit of everything.  that is a hard one.

it would be vs Danjel likely after his suspension is over. Agreed. BS did so many things well. I worry that as talented as he is, Danjel may go AWOL sometimes.

3 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

everyone except ...harper can play at least 2 positions. 

Harper can play the 2 some. He was there on some plays vs USA Tuesday off McCormick & did well. Not sure I want him there vs better teams or longer times but definitely can be effective there on a limited basis.

16 hours ago, Tiger said:

Bryce or Scotty Pohlman?

I'm goin Bryce on this one

I'm taking Scotty p. Better shooter. I'm taking Jamison Brewer over every PG we've had since 98. I know that wasn't asked

17 hours ago, ellitor said:

If you mean the 98'99 team I don't know about that. I love all our players but I would probably start Doc Robinson's silky smooth consistency over Harper's sometimes streaky play. Also even though Chuma has the higher up side & better skill set it's hard to argue starting him over Chrios Porter at the 4 given the year he had & him being the spark plug of the team that season.

For me it would depend on what players positions are used. If I could just have both rosters and create a starting 5 I'd put chuma at 3 and then I have porter at 4 

If I could get my hands on the 99-00 team compared to this team I'm starting brewer let Marquis play the 2, chumma 3, Porter 4 and I don't know probably mac at 5

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

Better shooter.

Especially inside the 3 point arc. Scotty shot a full 10% better on 2 point shots. Also combining all their stats & skills Scotty is estimated to have more impact on getting AU wins in his career than Bryce. Was an interesting & eye opening look up of stats.

Archived