Auburn at 24 in CFP Rankings

Auctoritas

I'm surprised.  I guest beating #20 aTm last week, even if it wasn't a work of art, got us some love from the Committee.  Ever the optimist, I'll be cheering for AU to somehow take down the Dawgs this weekend.

It's pretty sad when you are behind SIX other SEC teams, and behind such football powerhouses as Central Florida, Fresno State, Iowa State and Boston College.

13 minutes ago, AURex said:

It's pretty sad when you are behind SIX other SEC teams, and behind such football powerhouses as Central Florida, Fresno State, Iowa State and Boston College.

It's weird, it's like they make everyone play the games each season and THEN decide who is better based on results and appearance, rather than just ranking everyone because they have a history.

If Georgia wins they have another quality win by beating a top 25 team. Not saying that's why we're ranked but it could be a factor for them at some point. 

13 hours ago, Auctoritas said:

It's weird, it's like they make everyone play the games each season and THEN decide who is better based on results and appearance, rather than just ranking everyone because they have a history.

Except Florida which is overrated throughout virtually every season based on (one can only speculate) their history?

14 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Except Florida which is overrated throughout virtually every season based on (one can only speculate) their history?

it is weird that the AP and Coaches poll don't have us ranked but the only legit poll CFP....ranks us.

15 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

it is weird that the AP and Coaches poll don't have us ranked but the only legit poll CFP....ranks us.

Those last two offensive series vs aTm & the come from behind win pleased the "eye test" of the Committee.

14 hours ago, Auctoritas said:

If only pre-season rankings were so objective. It's almost as if history is the only consideration!

( For the :drippingsarcasm7pa:impaired...)

15 hours ago, gr82be said:

If Georgia wins they have another quality win by beating a top 25 team. Not saying that's why we're ranked but it could be a factor for them at some point. 

Oh, I’ll say it.

That is exactly why we’re ranked. Had the reason some ACC teams are ranked is to justify Clemson’s weak schedule.

Watch how many time teams have their highest rank of the season right before playing Bama.

Meanwhile UCF is getting the shaft being stuck at 12. Ohio State has done absolutely nothing to deserve a top 10 spot.

1 hour ago, aucanucktiger said:

Prior to Spurrier, UF's football history was, dismal.

I was bored the other day and looked up what Phil Steele had Auburn projected pre season.  It was 19th.  If Auburn can get a W in Athens, a W against Liberty, not completely embarrass ourselves against Bama, and win the bowl game then Auburn should finish mid teens.  Not what most were hoping for but pretty close to our preseason ranking by the “guru”.  I’ll have to go back and see what he projected for previous years

3 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

If only pre-season rankings were so objective. It's almost as if history is the only consideration!

( For the :drippingsarcasm7pa:impaired...)

You know, if I had time or inclination, I bet it would be an interesting project to go back and look at the preseason polls each year and see how long it takes for them to "shake out" - by that I mean, how long it takes for the poll to get as close as it gets to that year's final ranking. I mean, each year there are darlings that fall out/are overranked, but I wonder if those preseasons really have the staying power/influence that we think we do.

Yes...the Committee ranked us for the sole purpose of making Georgia look better....because the Committee actually cares enough about Georgia to help them out

I honestly don’t know what to say to that kind of “logic”

Until the college football champion is crowned without the influence of human beings NOT involved in the actual coaching and playing...this is what we'll have.  

2 hours ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

Yes...the Committee ranked us for the sole purpose of making Georgia look better....because the Committee actually cares enough about Georgia to help them out

Honest question: what teams do you think should be ranked in front of us?

3 minutes ago, Auctoritas said:

Is Tennessee ranked ahead of us?

4 minutes ago, Auctoritas said:

The only teams I question on whether they should be in front of us are Syracuse, Iowa State, and Fresno. That’s the short way to answer your question. 

15 hours ago, Win4AU said:

I was bored the other day and looked up what Phil Steele had Auburn projected pre season.  It was 19th.  If Auburn can get a W in Athens, a W against Liberty, not completely embarrass ourselves against Bama, and win the bowl game then Auburn should finish mid teens.  Not what most were hoping for but pretty close to our preseason ranking by the “guru”.  I’ll have to go back and see what he projected for previous years

While that is true he probably expected us to lose to uga and beat a really bad UT team.

Fortunately UT has played a little better down the stretch and the farther we move past it the less weight it will carry. We are 27th in both major polls. At 6-3 with win against two ranked teams at the time we probably should be about there.

On 11/8/2018 at 7:18 AM, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Fortunately UT has played a little better down the stretch and the farther we move past it the less weight it will carry. We are 27th in both major polls. At 6-3 with win against two ranked teams at the time we probably should be about there.

Better? Their wins are against: East Tenn St, UTEP, Charlotte and AUBURN...their only road win is against AUBURN...

On 11/7/2018 at 6:58 PM, Potatooooooes!! said:

Not thUga but we, the "Tin-Foil Hat Committee" believe the higher thUga is ranked when the play bammer, the better BAMMER looks.

giphy.gif

Archived