Georgia AD open to playing Auburn earlier in year

aubiefifty

Georgia AD open to playing Auburn earlier in year, per report

Updated Nov 6, 10:00 PM; Posted Nov 6, 10:00 PM

Auburn linebacker Tre' Williams (30) reacts to a stop during the first half against Georgia during last season's game at Jordan-Hare Stadium. (Julie Bennett)

0 shares

By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

tgreen@al.com

Auburn athletics director Allen Greene made clear multiple times in the last week his desire for the future of the Deep South’s Oldest Rivalry. On Tuesday, his Georgia counterpart chimed in.

Greene expressed last week his wish to have “some breathing room” between the Georgia and Alabama games, which are traditionally played in the season’s final two to three weeks. According to the Athens Banner-Herald, Georgia athletics director Greg McGarity is open to the idea of playing Auburn earlier in the season in the future.

“I think the one weekend we are focused on keeping is the Florida weekend due to the NFL dynamic and the plans that people have had,” McGarity said, referring to Bulldogs' traditional late-October, early-November rivalry with the Gators in Jacksonville, Fla. “As we’ll see later, there’ll be movement probably to other games. Who thought we’d be opening the (2019) season with Vanderbilt? The main thing is a rivalry will stay in place. We’ll continue to play Auburn on an annual basis for the near future.”

Greene said last week, following a speaking engagement with the Auburn Touchdown Club, that he has made his opinion known to the SEC offices. On Tuesday, while speaking to a group of reporters, Greene discussed how he plans to present plans to the league to move the Deep South’s Oldest Rivalry to earlier in the season in the future, or at least fix the current schedule quirk that has Auburn hosting rivals Georgia and Alabama in odd years while facing both on the road in even years.

Gus Malzahn wants schedule fix for Georgia, Alabama games

Malzahn does not want to play both Alabama and Georgia on the road in the same season.

When asked last week whether a potential fix to the proximity of the two games on Auburn’s schedule could come as soon as 2020, Greene said it’s a possibility. Auburn currently has a nonconference game scheduled with UMass during the 2020 season in Week 11 -- the week that the Tigers traditionally play Georgia. That could signal the rivalry game, which will see its 123rd installment play out this weekend when Auburn travels to Sanford Stadium to take on No. 5 Georgia, moving to earlier in the schedule.

As for the home/away fix, that likely won’t happen until the SEC’s current 12-year schedule format ends after the 2025 season.

“The league is working on the schedules now," Greene said last week, "and we certainly shared with them our desire to spread those games out, so we’ll see how it ends up in 2020.”

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

In theory, this is a good idea but since it takes Gus 3-4 games to find his offense and players he wants to start using, and setting everyone up for that one wrinkle. ....it's a good idea.

I wish we would press to get in the SEC East and move Mizzou to the west. This would solve a lot of logistic problems.  I would like to play UGA the first weekend of October and LSU the 3rd weekend of the month between a cup cake for the 2nd week of Oct.

9 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

If Gus is here much longer we could wind up as Georgia's homecoming opponent..

b870866b58c372fb4693725f4b6369def3488b5c_hq.gif

It will be awesome when we fire him and strike out on coaches, end up with whoever was foolish enough to take the job, and end up being everyone's homecoming until we make a decent hire in 2028 by luck.

Lol, sorry I just wanted to try the let's make everything a negative and blame Gus thread.

Just now, Texan4Auburn said:

It will be awesome when we fire him and strike out on coaches, end up with whoever was foolish enough to take the job, and end up being everyone's homecoming until we make a decent hire in 2028 by luck.

Lol, sorry I just wanted to try the let's make everything a negative and blame Gus thread.

Welcome to the club

1 minute ago, Eagle-1 said:

I'm one of those say what's on your mind kind of people. I apologize in advance for all my shortcomings

No apologies necessary. We're all pretty much outdone with the results. I appreciate you giving me a chance to use my favorite Disney character in a gif. 😀

37 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

I wish we would press to get in the SEC East and move Mizzou to the west. This would solve a lot of logistic problems.  I would like to play UGA the first weekend of October and LSU the 3rd weekend of the month between a cup cake for the 2nd week of Oct.

We have.  Jacobs was vocal about wanting to move to the East.  Bama and Tennessee have no interest in that happening.

6 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

We have.  Jacobs was vocal about wanting to move to the East.  Bama and Tennessee have no interest in that happening.

Which I could understand if it was still a competitive rivalry. 

35 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I don’t think Sankey even wanted to hear Jacob’s pitch.

1 hour ago, gr82be said:

Which I could understand if it was still a competitive rivalry. 

If I remember correctly the reasoning for Alabama was that Auburn would have unfair recruiting advantages if we moved. Not really sure how moving to the East from the West would of done that. Just remember seeing an article on it about 6-7 years ago when they did a vote.

2 hours ago, doc4aday said:

LSU already has a yearly East opponent in UF and Auburn would only play LSU every few years.

AU's yearly would likely end up being Mizzou (yawn) since they're the ones switching and bammer doesn't want to drop their annual UT beatdown.

AU's schedule would certainly become easier and more boring.  UK, USCe, Vandy... snooze.

32 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

AU's schedule would certainly become easier and more boring.  UK, USCe, Vandy... snooze.

Auburn fans are clamoring for 10 win seasons like UGA... that's how you get it.  3-4 gimme games in conference, a P5 patsy in GT, and 3 tough conference games each year.  UT, UF, and AU...

Just this year if UGA had played AU's schedule and how UGA looked early in the year Washington would have beaten them and LSU.  Plus they would still have AU and bama to go.  Schedule means everything.  Should we have lost to UT, absolutely not!  but we did... lets move on

2 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Auburn fans are clamoring for 10 win seasons like UGA... that's how you get it.  3-4 gimme games in conference, a P5 patsy in GT, and 3 tough conference games each year.  UT, UF, and AU...

Just this year if UGA had played AU's schedule and how UGA looked early in the year Washington would have beaten them and LSU.  Plus they would still have AU and bama to go.  Schedule means everything.  Should we have lost to UT, absolutely not!  but we did... lets move on

I know.  I'm a bit different.  I like big matchups with top teams.  I've said plenty, the only gimme OOC game should be Homecoming.  I actually like that Auburn has a tough SEC schedule.  A really good coach would make it all worthwhile.

6 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I know.  I'm a bit different.  I like big matchups with top teams.  I've said plenty, the only gimme OOC game should be Homecoming.  I actually like that Auburn has a tough SEC schedule.  A really good coach would make it all worthwhile.

I like the SEC schedule too. Just switch the UGA game back like it was a few years ago - home games in even years. 

While a move to the East would make sense logistically, we'd have to give up the annual Tiger Bowl. As much I ate the Corndogs, I do love that rivalry.

46 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Our schedule is awesome, and being afraid of the schedule isn't a part of football. But as a doorway into a championship run, our schedule is insane. 

I say move the iron bowl to the first game of the year so we can get the L out of the way and have a shot getting back into the top rankings for the playoff . I prefer the Auburn Georgia game

13 hours ago, sevenlee36 said:

I say move the iron bowl to the first game of the year so we can get the L out of the way and have a shot getting back into the top rankings for the playoff . I prefer the Auburn Georgia game

I actually like the idea of starting the year with them. Could be consistently one of the biggest games to open each season which would get tons of pub through the entire summer. Gus won't be here too much longer so HOPEFULLY our next coach doesn't take a month to figure out his roster. 

22 hours ago, selias said:

While a move to the East would make sense logistically, we'd have to give up the annual Tiger Bowl. As much I ate the Corndogs, I do love that rivalry.

I am tired of LSU and would love to swap them for UT. UT/AU used to be an awesome series back in the day.

Archived