Porter nominated for Broyles Award

GwillMac6

MUHHHHHHH DUDE LARRY PORTER!!! Love that guy!!! The only good offensive hire Gus has made lately. WAR DAMN LARRY PORTER!!!!!!! WOOOOO!!!!!!!

Happy for Porter.  But @GwillMac6 Gus has tried to hire different people.  Hand was thought to be homerun at the time.  Get the old Tulsa gang back together.  Horton has always been very well respected.  Grimes well respected in coaching circles.  Maybe the 2nd time around hasn't worked out the best but 1st time around he did a heck of a job.  Chip was thought to bring his passing attack with Gus' run offense and mesh them and for this year it's been a mess.  Last year it was nice with the run game and the deep pass attack.  Kodi was probably not the right decision but he's done decent.  Porter has been an excellent hire so far.  

But the ones that weren't allowed to come or declined to come... Kendall Briles (not allowed) and Dell McGee (declined offer).  Were big misses and not all fault to Gus on those.  

22 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Happy for Porter.  But @GwillMac6 Gus has tried to hire different people.  Hand was thought to be homerun at the time.  Get the old Tulsa gang back together.  Horton has always been very well respected.  Grimes well respected in coaching circles.  Maybe the 2nd time around hasn't worked out the best but 1st time around he did a heck of a job.  Chip was thought to bring his passing attack with Gus' run offense and mesh them and for this year it's been a mess.  Last year it was nice with the run game and the deep pass attack.  Kodi was probably not the right decision but he's done decent.  Porter has been an excellent hire so far.  

But the ones that weren't allowed to come or declined to come... Kendall Briles (not allowed) and Dell McGee (declined offer).  Were big misses and not all fault to Gus on those.  

I said lately. His best hires on the offensive side of the ball were his original ones imo. Rich Bisaccia (sp?) and D craig were home run hires to me personally. Sucks the boys poached him away from us after barely a cup of coffee. I think he met with Derrick Green the big back who went to Michigan and then HE GONE very shortly after that! haha.  Horton has flat out taken a huge step back in recruiting. I want us to upgrade the RB coach position this offseason. Plus hasn't Horton been wanting out for awhile anyways at AU? Seems like it would be best for both parties.

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

I said lately. His best hires on the offensive side of the ball were his original ones imo. Rich Bisaccia (sp?) and D craig were home run hires to me personally. Sucks the boys poached him away from us after barely a cup of coffee. I think he met with Derrick Green the big back who went to Michigan and then HE GONE very shortly after that! haha.  Horton has flat out taken a huge step back in recruiting. I want us to upgrade the RB coach position this offseason. Plus hasn't Horton been wanting out for awhile anyways at AU? Seems like it would be best for both parties.

I think the changes should be everyone but Kodi and Porter on the offensive side of the ball... but only keep them if the new OC wants them.  And as bad as our OL is maybe we need 2 coaches on OL going forward for a bit.  Have the RB coach work with the HBacks as well... Have the WR coach work with TEs and if they are working on hand on the ground stuff in blocking work with the OT coach.  Let the other OL coach work with guards and centers.  

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

I think the changes should be everyone but Kodi and Porter on the offensive side of the ball... but only keep them if the new OC wants them.  And as bad as our OL is maybe we need 2 coaches on OL going forward for a bit.  Have the RB coach work with the HBacks as well... Have the WR coach work with TEs and if they are working on hand on the ground stuff in blocking work with the OT coach.  Let the other OL coach work with guards and centers.  

I def agree with that. Time to blow it up. Enough with the status quo. I would love that. Next OL hire needs to be a absolute home run. Open up the check book. We need a miracle to fix this mess we are in with OL development and crutin. As it is always repeated over and over this is a LOS league and we have absolutely failed on the OL and this is a multiple year problem and it will get worse before it gets better.

3 hours ago, corchjay said:

I agree that close to wholesale changes need to be made on the offensive side of the ball. But under no circumstances do I agree about 2 OL coaches. If Grimes can't get it done, he just needs to be gone. I'm not even calling for him to be gone, BUT if he can't manage to do his job, and needs a 2nd OL coach to help him, then he should just be shown the door like he was last time, and we go get someone else. Every other OL coach can handle the entire line. If not every one of them, the vast majority of them can handle the entire line by themselves. There is no reason to handicap ourselves by keeping a coach that isn't pulling his weight. Again, I'm not saying he is or is not pulling his weight, but if we need a 2nd OL coach...then he isnt...and should be gone.

As for Porter, that's awesome. He deserves to be at least mentioned for that award. Our special teams were putrid last year. He has really stepped their game up. 

1 minute ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I agree that close to wholesale changes need to be made on the offensive side of the ball. But under no circumstances do I agree about 2 OL coaches. If Grimes can't get it done, he just needs to be gone. I'm not even calling for him to be gone, BUT if he can't manage to do his job, and needs a 2nd OL coach to help him, then he should just be shown the door like he was last time, and we go get someone else. Every other OL coach can handle the entire line. If not every one of them, the vast majority of them can handle the entire line by themselves. There is no reason to handicap ourselves by keeping a coach that isn't pulling his weight. Again, I'm not saying he is or is not pulling his weight, but if we need a 2nd OL coach...then he isnt...and should be gone.

As for Porter, that's awesome. He deserves to be at least mentioned for that award. Our special teams were putrid last year. He has really stepped their game up. 

Gus took a active role in special teams last year. I remember that being a big story in the summer schmoozing circuit! haha.

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

Gus took a active role in special teams last year. I remember that being a big story in the summer schmoozing circuit! haha.

Well as much as I hate saying it, because I've always really liked him, but Horton was in charge of special teams last season. Then we have our current RB situation... It looks like it might be time to make a move there also. I really hate it. But he has had a foot out the door for a minute, and with last year's special teams and this year's RB situation seems that foot out the door is starting to show on the field.

3 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Well as much as I hate saying it, because I've always really liked him, but Horton was in charge of special teams last season. Then we have our current RB situation... It looks like it might be time to make a move there also. I really hate it. But he has had a foot out the door for a minute, and with last year's special teams and this year's RB situation seems that foot out the door is starting to show on the field.

You love horton? He has def fallen out of favor with me. What I mean is Gus kept on saying he would have a active hand and be more hands on in special teams going in to last season. THAT BACKFIRED!!! hahaha. Horton has been failing on the trail for a long time. He is hanging on based on rep alone.

5 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

You love horton? He has def fallen out of favor with me. What I mean is Gus kept on saying he had a active hand in special teams last year. THAT BACKFIRED!!! hahaha. Horton has been failing on the trail for a long time. He is hanging on based on rep alone.

Yeah I guess it's just that rep that kept me in his corner for so long. Well that and almost a decade straight 1,000 yard rushers. Which... By and by... Will be ending this season. In retrospect, if one wanted, one could go back in my posts over the last few years and one would if fact find many posts of my questioning our RB depth, recruiting, and talent. But then you had Bubba step up, then KJ.. I had my doubts about this season too but was told many times by.... well someone who is one of the main members here that's routinely tagged... That my doubts about KMart were bogus... But it is what it is. Just seems like Horton really wants out

14 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Many programs use the 2 OL coach approach.  I'm not sayin with or without Grimes but if our OL needs that much attention then an extra coach might be the way to go.  Trust me being solid and coached well on the OL is much more important then a flex-TE that doesn't play but 5 snaps a game.  

39 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Yeah I guess it's just that rep that kept me in his corner for so long. Well that and almost a decade straight 1,000 yard rushers. Which... By and by... Will be ending this season. In retrospect, if one wanted, one could go back in my posts over the last few years and one would if fact find many posts of my questioning our RB depth, recruiting, and talent. But then you had Bubba step up, then KJ.. I had my doubts about this season too but was told many times by.... well someone who is one of the main members here that's routinely tagged... That my doubts about KMart were bogus... But it is what it is. Just seems like Horton really wants out

I will actually defend Gus here and give him some Props. Something I def do not do much lately haha. I attribute the 1k yard rusher streak to him and his system way more than Horton. But I was like you. I always had questions and concerns with our rbs and rb depth like you explained a lot better than me! haha. 

Archived