My thoughts

cole256

10 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

The reason I say we won't miss him is his departure left a void at the 3, and we replace him with Doughty and Purifoy. Neither of them need to do what Heron could do in order for us to be a better team because Okeke is likely to replace much of Heron's offensive production. I think Doughty and Purifoy being better shooters than Heron will improve the floor spacing and allow Okeke and Wiley to get low post and mid range catches, and make more room for cuts by McLemore and Dunbar. 

I guess I should have said we will be able to replace his production instead of saying we won't miss him. 

And yes pressure changes things. 

I have to see things before I just say it. I've seen no indication that either is a better shooter. And he was one of the few players in the country that actually had a consistent mid range game. I think that really helped us as far as spacing. That's going to have to be replaced. Doughty isn't going to be close as a rebounder. DP might? If his motor is right. And it really says something that Herron was the go to in those pressure situations and the team followed. Replacing that is huge. Say what you want but Herron was the leader. Replacing a leader.....that is huge. It's nothing to sneeze at. You have to be good for credibility. You have to have a work ethic that people respect. You have to have a sense of cocky and arrogance to make everybody else feel comfortable. Especially vital when you playing a team such as Duke. 

Like I said just look at that 98 Auburn team. Nobody would've thought Smith was so important.....but he was

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, JwgreDeux said:

Heron was a good player, we won't miss him because we have Samir and Purifoy to replace him. Heron and Purifoy on the floor together were not a good fit, but that wasn't just on Heron. Not sure why anyone would be glad he is gone.

Thank you kind sir!

3 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Why are you quoting me and it says I said this when those were never words I typed out?

Wasn't me. I tried to quote you both in 1 post. Not sure what happened.

FWIW also happened to Deux quoting me on a post Gene made.

20 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I just think any ball dominant guard who is not a great 3 point shooter is not going to be a good fit in a Pearl offense. His iso game is a much better fit for Kentucky or a team like ST Johns where he is the only MAN on that team and can be the go to guy.

St John's PG is on many NBA GM's draft boards

@doverstutts are you serious? You were my homie yesterday and now the passive aggressive hate? Me and @JwgreDeux are still cool and we disagree all the time. I wish more of the people on here would realize it's just talking sports. It's not personal. Now you and gene are best friends lol. It's ok man I'll let you back on the good side when it's time. 

I think both sides are right.

I have seen the same stuff on the interwebz regarding Mustapha and how his departure could actually be a positive regarding fit and locker room chemistry. But what @cole256 is saying is right. Mustapha was a special talent and while the 2018 version of our players may help mitigate his loss there are things Mustapha brought to the table that plainly cannot be replicated because of Mustapha's unique skillset. We won't "replace" some of those holes that his departure left us but our personnel may allow us to survive his departure.

I've said it before but I really think we are really going to notice the loss of Heron when we have been struggling to get a bucket for a few minutes. But my hope is that this year the guy we look to for a basket in a time of need is Wiley. Hit him in the post and let him go to work or get fouled.

Heron pretty much did everything well. People might knock his D some.  I’ll defer to others on that.  But he was good for 15 and 6 every night.  He got steals, assists and could make every shot on the floor.  He drove to the basket and forced fouls.  He created his shots.  Although not super tall, He was big enough to provide a physical presence that went with our gritty team last year.  I don’t know how he’d fit with this years team but it would have been awesome to find out

Archived