65 percent of Alabama voters cast straight-ticket ballots

DKW 86

I had friends working on a Democrat Election in 2016 tell me they knew before the night was over that "at least 45%" of the votes cast in Morgan County were straight party votes. I hoped/thought they were kidding. 

This says more about the ignorance and uneducated populace of this state than anything I could ever make up.

5 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

I had friends working on a Democrat Election in 2016 tell me they knew before the night was over that "at least 45%" of the votes cast in Morgan County were straight party votes. I hoped/thought they were kidding. 

This says more about the ignorance and uneducated populace of this state than anything I could ever make up

Was worse when dems ran the state back in the day.  At least there are choices....good or bad.

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

Was worse when dems ran the state back in the day.  At least there are choices....good or bad.

Yes, it was worse when the far right party that ran the state was, somehow, even further right than the far right party that runs the state is now. 

5 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

This says more about the ignorance and uneducated populace of this state than anything I could ever make up.

I did so I guess you are saying I'm ignorant. Maybe so by your standards but I'm willing to match my education with yours anytime old friend.

4 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

I did so I guess you are saying I'm ignorant. Maybe so by your standards but I'm willing to match my education with yours anytime old friend.

Got an MS, Enrolling in PhD soon. Education doesn’t necessarilly mean one can’t be willfully ignorant on one or more subjects. I never called you by name. 

13 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

Just curious if you've compared this to the other states?

16 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

Got an MS, Enrolling in PhD soon. Education doesn’t necessarilly mean one can’t be willfully ignorant on one or more subjects. I never called you by name. 

But you made an encompassing statement about anyone who voted a straight ticket and that includes me.

BSAE form AU, MSAE form Virginia Tech, Doctorate work at Univ. Of Oklahoma, special work in nuclear propulsion at UCLA and in astrodynamics at UAH. Served on the AU school of engineering advisory council for years as well as on the AE advisory committee. Received Distinguished Alumni award from AU. And I can spell "necessarily" (poke). But you are still my friend of many years no matter our disagreements.

4 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

Just curious if you've compared this to the other states?

Its only allowed in 8 states. I will do some research in the AM.

3 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

But you made an encompassing statement about anyone who voted a straight ticket and that includes me.

BSAE form AU, MSAE form Virginia Tech, Doctorate work at Univ. Of Oklahoma, special work in nuclear propulsion at UCLA and in astrodynamics at UAH. Served on the AU school of engineering advisory council for years as well as on the AE advisory committee. Received Distinguished Alumni award from AU. And I can spell "necessarily" (poke). But you are still my friend of many years no matter or disagreements.

Kudos.

17 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

That's BS. Most of the candidates that I wanted were pubbies. I didn't vote a straight ticket because of one County Commissioner that was running as a Dem. If all the people you want are from one party, then it's stupid not to vote the straight ticket. Straight ticket voting reflects on the quality of the candidates, not an "ignorant and uneducated populace".

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

That's BS. Most of the candidates that I wanted were pubbies. I didn't vote a straight ticket because of one County Commissioner that was running as a Dem. If all the people you want are from one party, then it's stupid not to vote the straight ticket. Straight ticket voting reflects on the quality of the candidates, not an "ignorant and uneducated populace".

Or just maybe you didnt look at all the candidates close enough?
You mean to tell me that in all those races there wasnt even one in which another candidate did not make sense?

5 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

Or just maybe you didnt look at all the candidates close enough?
You mean to tell me that in all those races there wasnt even one in which another candidate did not make sense?

Why yes, that's what I'm telling you. If some Dems out there had a better story to tell, they didn't reach my ears with it. My choice for County Commissioner was the only Dem that I considered to be the best candidate. You do know that in most races, particularly the local ones, the best qualified candidates are choosing to run as Pubbies, right?

13 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

I did so I guess you are saying I'm ignorant

4 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

Doctorate work at Univ. Of Oklahoma

As a Texan, that is a Texas fan and might pick up another masters from UT,  with a sister that went to Oklahoma State..... YES LOL ABSOLUTELY!

JK man, that is actually impressive stuff.

I don't vote straight ticket. I try to vote for the person not the party, although I'll admit I lean conservative. I actually voted for 2 Dems and unsurprisingly they both lost. The Alabama Democratic Party is a joke. Even a lot of the Dem candidates know it and aren't happy about it. How can you win or even be competitive in elections when you get little to no help from the party? You basically have to win in spite of the party. 

I didn't vote for Governor. I just left that box blank and didn't go for either either Ivey or Maddox.

On 11/8/2018 at 11:28 PM, Mikey said:

Why yes, that's what I'm telling you. If some Dems out there had a better story to tell, they didn't reach my ears with it. My choice for County Commissioner was the only Dem that I considered to be the best candidate. You do know that in most races, particularly the local ones, the best qualified candidates are choosing to run as Pubbies, right?

Because local elected offices just know we are where we are and it doesn’t matter. Should not even have to pick a party at these levels 

Archived