Sign in to follow this  
abw0004

Last Two Drives

Recommended Posts

I was watching the Auburn Review show last night and a few things caught my eye to the point that I had to go watch the game itself.  There were some things I did not catch while at the game.  Of course there were the obvious items that everyone saw which were the pace the drives were run at and the receivers catching the 50-50 balls.  One thing I did notice on the TV however was how locked in Stidham truly was.  When he needed to step up in the pocket to buy time he did.  Stidham has not done this all year.  He looked confident and was going to make the throw no matter what.  Not only that but our line did their job across the board to give Stidham that time.

Maybe I am just in a really good mood today, but if that can carry over I really do think we have a shot in this game.  If we bring back our tempo and wear out Georgia's young defense it will only pay dividends.  This game means a lot to our Georgia natives on the team so I believe this team will be locked and loaded come gametime.  We have the talent, just needed confidence, confidence that we now have.

For reference, beginning at 2:22 on the video.

 

Edited by abw0004
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




JS did step up in the pocket, even with noise around him. And, he made good decisions and threw good passes. He, and the O as a whole, had a determination that was markedly different from most of the drives before; and even the season as a whole.

Can and/or will it carry over? TBD. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pace makes the defense react slower than subbing and giving the defense time to identify what Auburn is probably going to do.  Gus must get back to fast and physical whether that’s throwing or running.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

we have nothing to lose and everything to gain so i say lay it all out there. if it is more air raid so be it.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From Gus’ presser:  "Bottom line: We have to run the football better."

I really don’t believe a word Gus says in his pressers and he always says we have to run the football better. Having said that, I hope we see something like we saw after the LSU loss last year.  He has nothing to lose and everything to gain.  War Eagle, Beat UGA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

From Gus’ presser:  "Bottom line: We have to run the football better."

I really don’t believe a word Gus says in his pressers and he always says we have to run the football better. Having said that, I hope we see something like we saw after the LSU loss last year.  He has nothing to lose and everything to gain.  War Eagle, Beat UGA.

What Gus is saying is true. Auburn needs to run the ball better. But the problem is that usually translates to "we're going to force this ball between the tackles whether it's open or not". Now, I don't know just how much of that is coaching and how much of that is on the players. Kam Martin is a prime example of one who has not taken very many good looks and tried to pound the ball in. Hard to say... We have the talent to beat Georgia no doubt. I just hope we come in with the right game plan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i went to youtube and watched the last wo drives. we need to klet stid sling it if he has time. i think that gives us our best chance. plus maybe it will ope a couple holes for the running game.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

What Gus is saying is true. Auburn needs to run the ball better. But the problem is that usually translates to "we're going to force this ball between the tackles whether it's open or not". Now, I don't know just how much of that is coaching and how much of that is on the players. Kam Martin is a prime example of one who has not taken very many good looks and tried to pound the ball in. Hard to say... We have the talent to beat Georgia no doubt. I just hope we come in with the right game plan.

The problem with what game plan we come in with, is if it’s not working, when will we adjust to option B.  Even worse, is there an option B?  Lately, we’ve known what kind of game we have by halftime.  We are not a team that produces a lot of 2nd half points, especially in Athens.  Adjustments are needed, similar to what we saw against T A&M, we just need to see them earlier in the game.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The difference too was he took what was there. We don't need to go five wide air raid but give Sted a check down and live with what the defense gives us. Quick passes and execute over the middle will open up holes. That is the only way we are going to be able to be successfully balanced and not just running into a brick wall for the sake of running the ball

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How sweet it would be if those last two drives opened Gus's eyes and those two drives actually became the first two drives of the rest of the season. 

Edited by gr82be

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How do things change, tho, if those 50/50 balls are not caught. Some pretty spectacular catches were made on both drives.  This is not s negative question, it’s a do you pass on three downs no matter what? That would put the defense back on the field quickly. It’s a thing of beauty when it’s working and not so much when it’s not (Ohio state game against Purdue)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

How do things change, tho, if those 50/50 balls are not caught. Some pretty spectacular catches were made on both drives.  This is not s negative question, it’s a do you pass on three downs no matter what? That would put the defense back on the field quickly. It’s a thing of beauty when it’s working and not so much when it’s not (Ohio state game against Purdue)

If we try to establish the run and can't then we won't win. If we go air raid we'll win some and lose some but at least there's a chance. Nothing ventured nothing gained. We can't win if stubborn Gus coaches. It has to be desperate Gus that coaches this game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pass to open the run. We need to stop forcing the game and be able to react to how the game is unfolding. Burn the blitzes with passes that fill the voids they leave. Back off the D, slow down the blitz, and loosen the front...then run the ball for balance.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, gr82be said:

It has to be desperate Gus that coaches this game

The desperate Gus left when AD Greene made his statement earlier in the week I fear.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is encouraging since Auburn's oline pass blocking is better than run blocking. Of course, a statistic like this is something Malzahn is unlikely to pay any attention to..

The Bulldogs rank last in the SEC with 14 sacks

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

The desperate Gus left when AD Greene made his statement earlier in the week I fear.

Sadly, I'm afraid you're right.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's gonna be a game like every other game.  Scripted first possession, telegraphing plays with personnel, failed runs, 3rd and long, and desperation passes etc...

The folks expecting anything else from CGM are allowing their imaginations to run wild.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Pass to open the run. We need to stop forcing the game and be able to react to how the game is unfolding. Burn the blitzes with passes that fill the voids they leave. Back off the D, slow down the blitz, and loosen the front...then run the ball for balance.

Balance is definitely the key.  Georgia will have a better defensive backfield than A&M so and will make it tough to drive the field passing.  Need to mix it up and maintain 7-10 play drives.  If Georgia doubles up ToP Saturday night Auburn won’t stand a chance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, AURealist said:

It's gonna be a game like every other game.  Scripted first possession, telegraphing plays with personnel, failed runs, 3rd and long, and desperation passes etc...

I'd bet money Auburn's offense slices through uga like butter on the first possession. Looking unstoppable. Then complete ineptness afterward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SumterAubie said:

I'd bet money Auburn's offense slices through uga like butter on the first possession. Looking unstoppable. Then complete ineptness afterward.

Sent to me by my cousin...

 

The last three times the Deep South's Oldest Rivalry has been played in Athens:

First quarter
Auburn — 21
Georgia — 21

2nd, 3rd & 4th quarters
Auburn — 0
Georgia — 71

  • Sad 2
  • Angry 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Sent to me by my cousin...

 

The last three times the Deep South's Oldest Rivalry has been played in Athens:

First quarter
Auburn — 21
Georgia — 21

2nd, 3rd & 4th quarters
Auburn — 0
Georgia — 71

Are you saying @GwillMac6 is your cousin?

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jAUSon said:

We have a rythm QB, so....

@bigbird tell us about this cousin. Is she hawt?

He has two kids, so he definitely puts out.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Pass to open the run. We need to stop forcing the game and be able to react to how the game is unfolding. Burn the blitzes with passes that fill the voids they leave. Back off the D, slow down the blitz, and loosen the front...then run the ball for balance.

Now this is just crazy talk. If we can’t run into a 8-9 man-in-the-box look we just don’t deserve to win. And, throw in a whirlybird....we comin’!!!!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this