No, you are not entitled to your opinion

TitanTiger

54 minutes ago, AUDub said:

This thread is mighty revealing. Gives a good indicator of the quality of argument we can expect from several of our posters.

It did not tell anyone anything that they did not already know.  This place is r/news without the idiocy being downvoted to oblivion.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

It did not tell anyone anything that they did not already know.  This place is r/news without the idiocy being downvoted to oblivion. 

I refuse to use the new downvote function on principle, lol. People can downvote me into oblivion for all I care.

2 minutes ago, AUDub said:

I refuse to use the new downvote function on principle, lol. People can downvote me into oblivion for all I care.

Downvoting serves no useful purpose to a thread here, just as likes do not.

I don't know if any one of you enjoy SciFi or not, but I rather enjoyed the episode of The Orville (by Seth Macfarlane) that dealt with the whole phenomenon of Up Vote/Down Vote and social media. I even had my kids watch it for reference.  It was well done.

2 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

Downvoting serves no useful purpose to a thread here, just as likes do not. 

SHUT UP I NEED MY SOCIAL MEDIA DOPAMINE FIX

9 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

You are spot on and correct in this exchange. 

Actually he's completely missing the point, as are you.

This is not about the freedom to express one's opinion.  This concerns the purpose of the "serious discussion" forum (i.e.: the "debate" forum). 

In debate, a simple opinion carries no weight without being defended with evidence to support it.  This forum was created to foster debate, not to simply express ones opinion, which - without a supporting case - is simply "smack talk".  We already have a forum for that if all you want to do is express your opinion without having to make a case for it.

Titan is correct and I greatly appreciate his efforts to maintain the integrity of the serious discussion forum, even if it's an uphill battle.  If we cannot observe basic rules of debate on this forum, we might as well do without it. 

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

Actually he's completely missing the point, as are you.

This is not about the freedom to express one's opinion.  This concerns the purpose of the "serious discussion" forum (i.e.: the "debate" forum). 

In debate, a simple opinion carries no weight without being defended with evidence to support it.  This forum was created to foster debate, not to simply express ones opinion, which - without a supporting case - is simply "smack talk".  We already have a forum for that if all you want to do is express your opinion without having to make a case for it.

Titan is correct and I greatly appreciate his efforts to maintain the integrity of the serious discussion forum, even if it's an uphill battle.  If we cannot observe basic rules of debate on this forum, we might as well do without it. 

This is the most profoundly hypocritical crap you’ve ever posted. Bullshite, you’re an ass-kisser of Titan’s and everyone knows it. You continually spew nonsense in both forums - Like you did in mine yesterday, which I subsequently deleted. Do you remember your comments? If not, we can get a mod to show everyone right now. You dropped a one liner, and concluded it with “FU.” Secondly, he applied these very same rules in the smack talk forum yesterday, as the record shows. So to say this is limited to the “serious talk” forum is a lie. Shall I post screenshots? 

You are a liar and hypocrite. I question your integrity and intellectual honesty WHEN IT COMES TO THIS BOARD.

Other than that, I’m sure you’re an alright guy in “real life.” I personally prefer your stories about daily life. 😎

1 hour ago, NolaAuTiger said:

This is the most profoundly hypocritical crap you’ve ever posted. Bullshite, you’re an ass-kisser of Titan’s and everyone knows it. You continually spew nonsense in both forums - Like you did in mine yesterday, which I subsequently deleted. Do you remember your comments? If not, we can get a mod to show everyone right now. You dropped a one liner, and concluded it with “FU.” Secondly, he applied these very same rules in the smack talk forum yesterday, as the record shows. So to say this is limited to the “serious talk” forum is a lie. Shall I post screenshots? 

You are a liar and hypocrite. I question your integrity and intellectual honesty WHEN IT COMES TO THIS BOARD.

Other than that, I’m sure you’re an alright guy in “real life.” I personally prefer your stories about daily life. 😎

QFT   

That's sad.  :no: 

Yes, post some "screen shots".  Just be sure to include whatever posts led up to them.  We can review every exchange we've had as far as I am concerned.

1 minute ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Which part do you dispute?

All of it.

But yes, I will admit that I sometimes violate the rules of the "serious talk" forum, but only after being provoked. I don't give out FU's casually.

It has been my observation that all too often the serious talk (debate) forum devolves into what should be in the smack talk forum.  And I support Titan in what he is trying to do here. In fact, I wish he were a lot tougher and start banning people from the serious forum.

Your post is a good example of something that should get you banned from the serious debate forum.  I was making a serious point and you come back at me with a full-blown ad hominem attack while completely ignoring the substance.  (Although the part about me being a Titan ass-kisser was pretty funny - it's obvious you haven't been on this forum very long.)

22 minutes ago, homersapien said:

(Although the part about me being a Titan ass-kisser was pretty funny - it's obvious you haven't been on this forum very long.)

I should go start a thread on trans issues or abortion just to reinforce this point. 

36 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Your post is a good example of something that should get you banned from the serious debate forum

Oh really? Should your comment from yesterday (“FU”) get you banned?

7 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Sure it SHOULD. I got a warning from Titan once for using bad language.

13 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Sure it SHOULD. I got a warning from Titan once for using bad language.

You too, huh?

Mind you, I most definitely deserved it lol. 

24 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Maybe.  I don't remember the context.  How about refreshing my memory.

42 minutes ago, AUDub said:

You too, huh?

Mind you, I most definitely deserved it lol. 

Shhh. You’re messin’ wit PT’s persecution narrative. 

13 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

You think Titan is a liberal?

He disagrees with him. What else could he be? /s

On 11/9/2018 at 7:57 AM, AUDub said:

Yes it is, and in support I offer the prior posts. If we don't agree to argue with some ground rules regarding logical validity and soundness, to put forth premises when presenting a statement that may be open for argument, then this forum is worthless.

Such tactics as "IMO" turn an argument into emotional manipulation rather than logical exercise.

I like to use "in my opinion" to make it clear that I don't have the facts to 100% support my statement. Many of us on this forum don't have 100% proof to support our statements but still act like our statement are 100% accurate. I disagree that using "IMO" is using emotional manipulation.

13 minutes ago, Grumps said:

I like to use "in my opinion" to make it clear that I don't have the facts to 100% support my statement. Many of us on this forum don't have 100% proof to support our statements but still act like our statement are 100% accurate. I disagree that using "IMO" is using emotional manipulation.

I can’t can’t even begin to count the number of times I’ve typed “I can’t say” or “I don’t know” here. 

If you make it clear that you understand your reasoning may be based on incomplete information and are willing to revise as you learn more, then that’s fine. More often here, though, it’s a method of stomping ones foot and in an effort to avoid having your argument assailed. An attempt to end discussion rather than facilitate it. 

1 hour ago, AUDub said:

I can’t can’t even begin to count the number of times I’ve typed “I can’t say” or “I don’t know” here. 

If you make it clear that you understand your reasoning may be based on incomplete information and are willing to revise as you learn more, then that’s fine. More often here, though, it’s a method of stomping ones foot and in an effort to avoid having your argument assailed. An attempt to end discussion rather than facilitate it. 

I don't disagree with you, I was just trying to explain why I use the term. "I don't know" might make more sense since "in my opinion" should be pretty much understood.

Archived