Would hiring Freeze as oc be a cure

aubiefifty

I’ve read a lot of post with everyone already dismissing the OL next year.  I don’t expect them to be the best Oline in the history of the SEC but we are one or two guys stepping up away from being a very decent line.  Give these guys another off season to figure things out.  That being said Gus needs a Oline heavy recruiting class the next 2 years are there will be serious problems going forward.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

I’ve read a lot of post with everyone already dismissing the OL next year.  I don’t expect them to be the best Oline in the history of the SEC but we are one or two guys stepping up away from being a very decent line.  Give these guys another off season to figure things out.  That being said Gus needs a Oline heavy recruiting class the next 2 years are there will be serious problems going forward.

I happen to agree with you. These guys are playing worse than they are. They aren't going to be "good" next year, but they should be much better if there is adequate leadership in place.

But yes, the recruiting must get MUCH better than it has been. 

58 minutes ago, McLoofus said:
1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

I happen to agree with you. These guys are playing worse than they are. They aren't going to be "good" next year, but they should be much better if there is adequate leadership in place.

But yes, the recruiting must get MUCH better than it has been. 

I agree that the personnel are probably there (mostly) but I just don't believe they're being coached well.  ... whether it's literally just poor coaching or it's a system that just doesn't work?  I definitely feel the latter but the former is probably true too.  There should be massive improvement by this time in the season and that there's not, is telling IMO.

Hopefully Freeze #1, can bring in a good OL coach & #2, does away with this chicken-$#!7 zone scheme.  Let'em put hands in the dirt and tee off on their opponents.

JMO

15 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

I agree that the personnel are probably there (mostly) but I just don't believe they're being coached well.  ... whether it's literally just poor coaching or it's a system that just doesn't work?  I definitely feel the latter but the former is probably true too.  There should be massive improvement by this time in the season and that there's not, is telling IMO.

Hopefully Freeze #1, can bring in a good OL coach & #2, does away with this chicken-$#!7 zone scheme.  Let'em put hands in the dirt and tee off on their opponents.

JMO

I feel ok about the OTs next year ....I have seen more improvement at tackle than anywhere in the Oline. I don't know what happened to Horton. He seemed three times better last year. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't he play center some last year?  Yes I think the Oline improves next year.... And I do feel it's pack of coaching.... And to me send strength and conditioning is subpar. They just seen weak. They also don't seem possess that nastyness... That meanness to dominate...I think on Thursdays we should kick then in a tiny cage and not feed them and play Ozzie extremely loud and have them crazy mad by Saturday lol.

On 11/8/2018 at 7:59 PM, corchjay said:

Cam didn't regress.  White didn't regress just couldn't stay healthy or off the party scene, Stidham hasn't regressed he just hasn't stepped up to be the leader we need this year.  JJ6 I have no clue what happened to him he could throw one pass the slant all others he was horrible at.  

Cam was here one season... Exactly how could he regress? That's pretty funny... 

"Stidham hasn't regressed" 

2017: 66.5 completion percentage, 3158 yards, 18 TDs, 151.0 QBR

2018: 60.6 completion percentage, 1953 yards, 10 TDs, 132.2 QBR

How can you tell me with a straight face he hasn't regressed?!? Sure, he hasn't played in as many games, but do you realistically think he can pass for 1000 more yards and increase his QBR by 20 points in the last 3 games? 

He ABSOLUTELY has regressed and anyone who says otherwise is simply pumping sunshine, or hasn't paid attention this season.

On 11/8/2018 at 9:43 PM, PoetTiger said:

His regressions have a lot to do with him as well. I don’t think he took his offseason as serious as he could have. IMO Some of the mistakes he has made have been all on him. The careless fumbles, the INTS in the LSU game, some of the missed passes. If you gonna say he regressed then who gets credit for his performance last season. Regardless the offense has struggled mostly because of an inexperienced raw, unathletic oline and the lack of a running game, which has made it difficult to set up the play action game. The screen game is suffering as well because safeties are crowding up to wipe out the run. It seems likes everything bad is one persons fault and anything Auburn has done well is the result of a magical force or luck.

Stidham gets the credit for last season. Stidham isn't the one who slacked in OL recruiting. Stidham isn't at fault for terrible RB recruiting. Gus is the one who gets the blame for OL recruiting. He is the head coach. Gus is who gets the blame for RB recruiting. He is the head coach. All Stidham is in control of is himself. Yeah he could hang on to the ball a little better. But why is that even an issue? BECAUSE OF TERRIBLE OL RECRUITING AND PLAY. When he is running for his life on almost every play it's understandable that he gets creamed and loses the ball. With better protection, that is a moot point. 

21 hours ago, Win4AU said:

This very thing has been said for the last what 3 or 4 years? And this season is a throw away as well. We have a total of 1 (ONE) OT committed. We have had no shortage of OG and C recruiting. OT is a whole different story. And our OT recruiting this season is just as terrible as the last few. At some point saying we need to do better in the future becomes just saying the same thing while expecting different results. And you know what that's called don't you? I'll take the definition of insanity for 1000 Alex. 

Look u can just say the head coach gets the blame for everything and fundamentally you would be correct. It’s the nature of being the head coach. But there are times players have to execute. So when JS had no pressure in his face and he missed wide open guys that’s on him. Like you said he is in control of himself and many times this season he has missed on plays he hit last season. And it’s not just him, Davis and Slayton have both had a case of the dropsies. In each loss those three have made mistakes that could have impacted the outcome of the game. Last season Stidham had the luxury of playing behind a more experienced OL, and the last time I checked he did recruit not one or bring anyone with him from that JC he was attending.  So I wonder who gets credit for that. Gus ain’t perfect and he makes my teeth grind at times but he has proven when he has the horses he can win. IMO OL recruiting will continue to suffer until we get a better recruiter for that role..

On 11/8/2018 at 10:19 PM, GwillMac6 said:

thanks doc!

We kicked Washington in the rear end last night!  I think we have a special team that has a very good chance of winning the SEC and beyond. I am so glad that B-ball season is here. We need something good to get our minds off of football!

Just now, doc4aday said:

We kicked Washington in the rear end last night!  I think we have a special team that has a very good chance of winning the SEC and beyond. I am so glad that B-ball season is here. We need something good to get our minds off of football!

amen and co sign that doc!! Bruce Pearl is going to cure that! lol WAR DAMN BRUCE PEARL!

Auburn is dealing w a case of gangrene w Gus. You have to eliminate it completely. You can’t let it hang around. Bringing Freeze in would be like placing a band-aid over the affected limb. Just cut the darn thing off. 

1 minute ago, doug3020 said:

Auburn is dealing w a case of gangrene w Gus. You have to eliminate it completely. You can’t let it hang around. Bringing Freeze in would be like placing a band-aid over the affected limb. Just cut the darn thing off. 

Yeah. And how much an improvement would Brown or Clark be?

I am NOT satisfied with Gus. But our genius president put us in such a terrible ball and chain that we can't afford an exciting replacement.

1 minute ago, AUwent said:

Yeah. And how much an improvement would Brown or Clark be?

I am NOT satisfied with Gus. But our genius president put us in such a terrible ball and chain that we can't afford an exciting replacement.

I never said who to replace him with. With that said,can Brown or Clark develops talent on offense? I don’t know the answer. Gus just needs to leave and our university president has made that nearly impossible. 

My goodness, we could’ve had the coach who just beat his rear end for the 3rd time in 4 outings. 

1 minute ago, doug3020 said:

I never said who to replace him with. With that said,can Brown or Clark develops talent on offense? I don’t know the answer. Gus just needs to leave and our university president has made that nearly impossible. 

My goodness, we could’ve had the coach who just beat his rear end for the 3rd time in 4 outings. 

🤦‍♂️<--Me for thinking at one point that Gus was a better choice than Kirby.

11 minutes ago, doug3020 said:

Amen..we were boondoggled into a 7 year deal with Malzahn and have to own up to it. I believe he gets his one more year, but that is all. I DO NOT believe the powers that be will let him get a pass next year regardless of his excuses..either he produces or he is gone..and he can thank our esteemed President for his golden parachute. He is a disgrace almost as bad as Terry Bowden turned out to be. I would love to see him bring back the zone read as a primary offense and hope he has Kelly Bryant and Bo Nic to run it. It might just save his career. JMHO

Don't think Kirby was ever an  option for AU so not much point dwelling on that. 

So who was your next choice?   Most of the names I recall from four or so years ago are just muddling along in lesser programs. Picking a winning coach for the future is no easy job.

Archived