2019 4* RB DJ Williams Commits to AU!!!

ellitor

New 2019 RB offer out to a low rated youngster who looks to have good RB size
FBS offers by UGA, Miami, Vols, Wake & UConn w/ more expected
FWIW Keith likes his film better than 2 major AU RB targets
Keith expects him to be a 4* when the final rankings are done
Missed part of JR year w/ sprained ankle so that's why rated so low

• Like 1

Very nice size.  About the perfect size for a Gus offense especially to play early.  He's physical but is playing it looks like to be equal to 3A competition in Alabama.  Solid looking back but hard to tell his fundamentals and blocking reads because everything is kind of ad lib out of the QB position.  He has good quicks but isn't very fast.  High 3 star about 88 is where I would rate him just from this film.  

Only think I will say is there were better backs we played off on waiting on Cain to make up his mind.  Granted I do agree another small back isn't what we need in this class.  We need a back that can carry the rock multiple times a game and that 5-10 - 6', 200-220 lb back is what we need for this cycle.  We should not be having to wait this late in the cycle to be finding quality backs that fit our system.  

• Like 2

I'll add that how he blocks, how he reads blocks, how he moves in the hole (which we don't see a lot in this video), and if he can play within a system without the ball in his hands will determine if he's an SEC back or not.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Yeah boy!  We own App State!

I will say this at this time this kid is more system ready for our offense then say Derrian Brown was and we were his leader for a long time.  Stars matter overall for the team but sometimes there are exceptions.  

27 minutes ago, corchjay said:

He has good quicks but isn't very fast. 

Looks plenty fast & explosive to me plus he doesn't get tackled easily.

Just now, ellitor said:

Looks plenty fast & explosive to me plus he doesn't get tackled easily.

Similar to Boobee.  More physical but about as fast and explosive.  

6 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Similar to Boobee.  More physical but about as fast and explosive.  

Cool. I think Boobee can produce at a 4* level if he got even average OL play.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Cool. I think Boobee can produce at a 4* level if he got even average OL play.

Agreed.  I'm not a no on this kid at all just think we should have already decided on our back and if that's Cain that's cool but should have a back on backup.  I'd have pushed when MAR was flirting so much... 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Agreed.  I'm not a no on this kid at all just think we should have already decided on our back and if that's Cain that's cool but should have a back on backup.  I'd have pushed when MAR was flirting so much... 

We may take 2 & have been & are pushing with MAR.

Without trying to compare these two as far as results go, he and Snell have similar HS film. In HS, Snell ran behind his pads better. This kid runs a little high.

I love his jump cut and vision, but 5’11” looks very generous. Hard to tell on film though. 

Saw headline and was like "Damnit here we go still can't recruit a premier back," but I liked his film a lot. Has good vision, looks to be a one cut guy and tries to get up field with burst and balance staying compact. Like bird says, runs a little high and with better competition he ain't bouncing off and running through those guys like in this film. Aside from that his body control is good and looks fluid. Could be a nice diamond in the rough.  

His film looks pretty good but just....damn. How is our RB recruiting such that we’re scrambling for kids like this (coming off of an injury, largely unknown) late in the cycle? He may be great, might be the next Walter Payton but.....Horton has got to go.

Edited by fredst
  • Like 2

Xs and Os vs Jimmy’s and Joes??  ... we can’t do better .Solid film I get it . AUBURN has a tremendous history with RBs . I’m dumbfounded that we can’t land the right guy 

We've got Barrett buried at DB, our #1 RB this fall buried at 3rd string RB at best and our prized RB recruit from last year can't see the field for undisclosed reasons.
Not knocking this kid, but why should AU fans have any faith in RB recruiting at this point?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Let’s see, if I am a recruit and my option is App St.  or Auburn .....let me think 🤔 

Well UT has now offered him too so there’s definitely something there. 

4 hours ago, AUDevil said:

Yeah boy!  We own App State!

I’d trade head coaches with them in a heartbeat 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Well UT has now offered him too so there’s definitely something there. 

Unofficial to UGA this weekend.  Kid's blowing up.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, fredst said:

His film looks pretty good but just....damn. How is our RB recruiting such that we’re scrambling for kids like this (coming off of an injury, largely unknown) late in the cycle? He may be great, might be the next Walter Payton but.....Horton has got to go.

As I told you before running back recruiting is more on Gus than Horton. If it weren’t for Horton (and Porter) we wouldn’t have had these quality feelers out for other running back’s as Gus has been waiting on Noah Cain.

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1