JwgreDeux

Washington (Preview/Review)

Been waiting on this :) . Thanks!! 

I saw in the recap of their game against UWK that Dickerson seemed to be a big player for them. Looking at the rooster they have some size with 3 guys over 6'10" but i didn;t notice them on the stat sheet. So they might not be a huge factor. They did have 1 guys with 6 blocks in that game. Yikes. Better keep up with where he is when on O

Beat Washington!!

Edited by gravejd

This is a huge game tonight!!!! Mad I have to wait 9 and a half hours for this to tip-off

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Been waiting on this :) . Thanks!! 

I saw in the recap of their game against UWK that Dickerson seemed to be a big player for them. Looking at the rooster they have some size with 3 guys over 6'10" but i didn;t notice them on the stat sheet. So they might not be a huge factor. They did have 1 guys with 6 blocks in that game. Yikes. Better keep up with where he is when on O

Beat Washington!!

Yeah, I think Dickerson is the guy Auburn will surely try to control. He is a senior, was named first team PAC12 after last season, shot 56% from the field, averaging 16 points and 8 rebounds per game. He's 6'8" and now up to 245. Interestingly, he is from Atlanta and played his HS ball there. Don't know if Auburn recruited him. He's a long way from home.

I wonder if the UW zone and slower pace will frustrate Auburn. Still, I know CBP will have our guys focused, and Auburn *should* notch a V.

46 minutes ago, AURex said:

Yeah, I think Dickerson is the guy Auburn will surely try to control. He is a senior, was named first team PAC12 after last season, shot 56% from the field, averaging 16 points and 8 rebounds per game. He's 6'8" and now up to 245. Interestingly, he is from Atlanta and played his HS ball there. Don't know if Auburn recruited him. He's a long way from home.

I wonder if the UW zone and slower pace will frustrate Auburn. Still, I know CBP will have our guys focused, and Auburn *should* notch a V.

The reason I didn't highlight Dickerson (other than every beat writer will talk him up because he is the easiest name to pick out on a stat sheet)  is he is a pretty traditional power forward. He will post up and score and rebound and score. He will likely get his 15 and 8 during the course of the game, but that will not beat us. We will not lose this game by allowing them to score their average unless we really struggle on offense. When Washington beat Kansas last season, they held Kansas to 65 or so points. We score in the 60s in any game and we will be in trouble. I would rather give Dickerson his than allow Nowell or their only shooter, Greene, to get it going and end up north of 20. Combine that with McLemore's defense on the inside and Dickerson doesn't worry me much, not that he isn't a solid player. 

• Like 1

Driving down and taking my son tonight. Thanks for the write up on UW. Hoping for a fun one, and more importantly, a win!

• Like 3

Sorry to keep adding in bits and pieces, but Nowell was their leading scorer as a freshman last season, and I expect him to take a bigger step forward with his game now as a sophomore than Dickerson going from a junior to senior. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

Sorry to keep adding in bits and pieces, but Nowell was their leading scorer as a freshman last season, and I expect him to take a bigger step forward with his game now as a sophomore than Dickerson going from a junior to senior. 

Please keep the tid bits coming. Not a lot of write ups out there when it comes to AU bball so i'll gladly gobble up every morsel i can get!

• Like 1

dickerson appears to be a load and averaged 8 boards.  I still like McLemore/Wiley against him.  A wowing difference on thier roster is the 2 - 7 foot freshmen they have.  If those guys play many minutes it could factor.  I think wiley can out muscle them, but he wont play much.  McLemore, even with athleticism will be hard pressed against that height.

1 hour ago, mustache eagle said:

dickerson appears to be a load and averaged 8 boards.  I still like McLemore/Wiley against him.  A wowing difference on thier roster is the 2 - 7 foot freshmen they have.  If those guys play many minutes it could factor.  I think wiley can out muscle them, but he wont play much.  McLemore, even with athleticism will be hard pressed against that height.

One of the 7 footers played 3 minutes, it appears the other is redshirting. They have some other size as well though, with Timmins at 6'11'' (played 18 mins). Of their top five minutes played players, only Dickerson is taller than 6'6''. Their "bigs" don't play many minutes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SumterAubie said:
Line: AUB -10.5
O/U: 151

I'd expect Washington to cover and the game to be under. 77-71 AU with a close win.

after watching wash/wky, to be honest, we should run them to death....they are big and physical but i don't think they like an up and down the court type game...rebounding and shot selection is crucial tonight

• Like 2

Did Wash play a lot of zone in the first game? Thats the wild card here. We don't play a lot of zone so if that is their bread and butter like every one expects then that could give us problems. Now if we shoot the 3 like we did in our first game then we'll shot them right out of it but i wouldn't expect us to be that hot again

3 hours ago, JwgreDeux said:

You just go on and do whatever you got to do, baby.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Udub coach was asst under Boeheim at Syracuse. The will not be thrilled to play in an up tempo game, and I expect from that pedigree, they will drop into zone at least until we prove we can make the outside shot consistently. But they do defend the 3 pretty well also. If Auburn can rebound and get out in transition and take good shots, that would be ideal. I do wonder if our guys will get frustrated if Udub controls the pace of the game.

45 minutes ago, AURex said:

The Udub coach was asst under Boeheim at Syracuse. The will not be thrilled to play in an up tempo game, and I expect from that pedigree, they will drop into zone at least until we prove we can make the outside shot consistently. But they do defend the 3 pretty well also. If Auburn can rebound and get out in transition and take good shots, that would be ideal. I do wonder if our guys will get frustrated if Udub controls the pace of the game.

Yep.....It is a misconception that zones give up outside shots....Boeheim is really tough on 3 point shooters and his teams play much more aggressive defense than  I usually think of when someone mentions "zone'.    So guess it depends on how faithful the Udub coach is to his mentor....and whether he has the quickness needed.    Likely. AU will need to be patient on defense.....on offense I guess they can run and shoot as long as the shots are dropping but odds are we will have fewer shots than the team is used to...:dunno:

I love Auburn people. About to buy 2 tix from a girl and dude says, “I hate to mess you up but I need to get rid of 2,” and handed them to me. Felt bad for the girl. 

Edited by jared52
  • Like 1
  • Love 3

7 hours ago, Gene Loblaw said:

Doughty gonna lead the team in scoring tonight with 20+ points and AU wins by more than 15

You may be right. Guy's on fire. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gene Loblaw said:

yeah. The prediction looks good so far. Samir having a night

Any encouraging insight on the football game tommorow?🙏