JwgreDeux

Washington (Preview/Review)

Recommended Posts

Review updated in OP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




3 hours ago, JwgreDeux said:

Review updated in OP.

I'm curious as to how you came to the conclusions about the defense with Harper Brown and Herron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cole256 said:

I'm curious as to how you came to the conclusions about the defense with Harper Brown and Herron

Almost all my opinions are based off watching games. I’m not a big advanced statistics guy. Harper and Brown tend to do a good job pressuring the ball in the full and half court. 

Heron often struggled to keep his man in front and rarely applied ball pressure out past the timeline. Doughty in his two games has shown his desire and ability play that style defense. 

Granted with Doughty it’s based on a small sample size. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

Almost all my opinions are based off watching games. I’m not a big advanced statistics guy. Harper and Brown tend to do a good job pressuring the ball in the full and half court. 

Heron often struggled to keep his man in front and rarely applied ball pressure out past the timeline. Doughty in his two games has shown his desire and ability play that style defense. 

Granted with Doughty it’s based on a small sample size. 

Well I'm similar as far as just watching games. Every game I saw, I saw Harper get abused because of his size at least once. Even games that we won. Sexton dominated I remember the Clemson guard, South C. Etc

As far as pressing that just comes off made shots. Actual setting up playing defense either Harper or Brown were beat up pretty good quite often.

Lastly Herron played games night end and night out out of position. He sacrificing for the small guards we have. Just reading your write up hear and your analysis as Herron as the weak link is just wrong imo. If Brown or Harper were so much better on D then they would have been guarding the best players. Well sometimes Brown would, I just saw completely different games. Especially those Alabama games....they were pretty bad....and I don't know why I remember the Clemson game as well. South Carolina I remember yelling at the tv to put Harper on someone else and then Brown got him and it wasn't any better....that guard they had that was pretty good was like 6'4"

That's why Mac is so important and we looked like a different team, and why chumma was a necessity because people were getting by our backcourt pretty easy. And that's another thing we'll miss from Mitchell. I saw what you said about him. There's much more to playing that's going to show up on a box score. I know he only averaged something like 3 points and so it's easy to think oh we want miss that....but it's a reason he was playing every game. His defense was valuable

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Well I'm similar as far as just watching games. Every game I saw, I saw Harper get abused because of his size at least once. Even games that we won. Sexton dominated I remember the Clemson guard, South C. Etc

As far as pressing that just comes off made shots. Actual setting up playing defense either Harper or Brown were beat up pretty good quite often.

Lastly Herron played games night end and night out out of position. He sacrificing for the small guards we have. Just reading your write up hear and your analysis as Herron as the weak link is just wrong imo. If Brown or Harper were so much better on D then they would have been guarding the best players. Well sometimes Brown would, I just saw completely different games. Especially those Alabama games....they were pretty bad....and I don't know why I remember the Clemson game as well. South Carolina I remember yelling at the tv to put Harper on someone else and then Brown got him and it wasn't any better....that guard they had that was pretty good was like 6'4"

That's why Mac is so important and we looked like a different team, and why chumma was a necessity because people were getting by our backcourt pretty easy. And that's another thing we'll miss from Mitchell. I saw what you said about him. There's much more to playing that's going to show up on a box score. I know he only averaged something like 3 points and so it's easy to think oh we want miss that....but it's a reason he was playing every game. His defense was valuable

I agree Mitchell was good on defense. Between Harper and Brown, Harper is weaker and limited due to his size, but keeping a man in front is almost not possible with some of these top guards. In those games, you want to funnel your man in a certain direction based on gameplan etc. Brown is and has been one of our better defenders at a guard spot and has often guarded the opposing team's stronger guard. I remember Harper getting beat up pretty bad his freshman season, but thought he made improvements last season. Maybe I'm giving him too much credit. In any event, while agree we will miss his scoring and consistency, I don't think we will miss Heron's defense much. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

I agree Mitchell was good on defense. Between Harper and Brown, Harper is weaker and limited due to his size, but keeping a man in front is almost not possible with some of these top guards. In those games, you want to funnel your man in a certain direction based on gameplan etc. Brown is and has been one of our better defenders at a guard spot and has often guarded the opposing team's stronger guard. I remember Harper getting beat up pretty bad his freshman season, but thought he made improvements last season. Maybe I'm giving him too much credit. In any event, while agree we will miss his scoring and consistency, I don't think we will miss Heron's defense much. 

 

I agree with that because we cause havoc and run around and make alot of noise but we really don't play great defense. Maybe we cause alot of turnovers? But the I think the most telling thing I said was he was playing out of position. Put Harper and Brown on some 6'6-7" guards.....they won't be shut down lol. I know sexton is pretty good. I actually love the way he plays......he ate Harper and Brown up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One voters ballot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ended up 9th.

Top 10 team errbody.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now