Kirk Herbstreit on why Auburn should appreciate Malzahn

Auburn Kev

Was listening to the 11/9/18 Rundown podcast, Tate & Matthews were discussing this. He is definitely out of touch with what is happening at Auburn. 

Kirk Herbstreit on why Auburn fans should appreciate Gus Malzahn, talks Georgia game

Updated Nov 8, 11:18 AM; Posted Nov 8, 11:18 AM

By Mark Heim

Auburn’s Gus Malzahn deserves credit for the way the Tigers have rebounded, Kirk Herbstreit said.

The Tigers have won back-to-back SEC game and are now 6-3 overall and 3-3 in the SEC. The ESPN GameDay host said on the “Herbstreit & Fitzsimmons podcast that’s worthy of praise.

“I get it, losing to Tennessee at home is not great. Going to Starkville and losing, and losing in the fashion they did," he explained. “Their of podcast that’s worthy of praise.,. I’ll tell you what man, when you have aspirations of winning the SEC and going to a playoff and you get off to a 4-1 start and things are still OK, then you lose two in a row and those dreams are gone. You are sitting there at 4-3 and you still have five games to play and you are dealing with outside noise, ‘Gus Malzahn is on the hot seat’ and you turn around and go to Oxford and win 31-16 and you turn around and win at home and beat a top-20 A&M team, those are coaching moments that don’t get recognized that fans need to appreciate.”

This week, Malzahn said the “future is bright” at Auburn after athletic director Allen Greene confirmed Malzahn was Auburn’s coach of the future.

“It’s easy for fans to see 8-0, 9-1 and say that’s a great job," Herbstreit said. "I love when a team is 4-3 and he could lose his team, and, instead, they find a way to dig back in and come back out swinging. I’m more impressed with that from a coach then when you come out and run the table. I know that’s a hard thing to do, but I’ve seen so many teams in college football have these big goals and then they are gone and the team gets senioritis and they start thinking about the NFL or other things and they start 4-3 and they finish 5-7. Auburn deserves a lot of credit. Gus Malzahn deserves a lot of credit for turning this thing around.”

Things don’t get any easier for Malzahn’s Tigers. They travel to No. 5 Georgia on Saturday for a 2:30 p.m. CBS game.

“These have been big games for Georgia," he explained. "This is a rivalry, I get it, I respect it, I understand that but right now, Georgia, you could make the case, is playing their best football. Jake Fromm is really doing a nice job but they have to be able to compartmentalize the emotion and go out and execute. They played LSU in Death Valley, had a bye week, played Florida in Jacksonville then they went to Lexington. It’s been a while since they have been home.

“I think being at home will be the difference in this game… Emotions, Auburn’s grit and toughness and Jarrett Stidham making some big plays keep them around but over the course of 60 minutes, Georgia and Fromm will make enough plays to pull away, in my opinion, in a rivalry game.”

Well i do agree Gus deserves credit for not losing the team. Argument can be made that AU might have been better off in the long run had the implosion been complete and final. But its his job to win games and to me he is still trying to do his job. I respect him for that regardless of how disappointed i am with this way the season went. 

13 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Well i do agree Gus deserves credit for not losing the team. Argument can be made that AU might have been better off in the long run had the implosion been complete and final. But its his job to win games and to me he is still trying to do his job. I respect him for that regardless of how disappointed i am with this way the season went. 

I agree. The band aid needed to be torn off. Jimbo choking prevented that. The fan base, administration, Athletic Department and Boosters all seem to be torn and it is because of Gus. He has severely divided all of these groups of people like no Auburn coach has before. Not even tubs. It is just not healthy for AU as a program to be this fractured. It is remarkable Gus has never lost this team. But so what? It will always ensure he wins 7 or 8 games instead of 4 or 5? So we get to constantly be in mediocrity? Yay.

3 hours ago, Auburn Kev said:

Was listening to the 11/9/18 Rundown podcast, Tate & Matthews was discussing this. He is definitely out of touch with what is happening at Auburn. 

well dang kev i just posted the same article and i even looked on the football board but missed the media related. lol and i have not gotten me buzz on yet.................

Was listening to the 11/9/18 Rundown podcast, Tate & Matthews was discussing this. He is definitely out of touch with what is happening at Auburn. 

great minds think alike......

those are coaching moments that don’t get recognized that fans need to appreciate.”

Coaching moments? Gus got his arse handed to him for 53 of those 60 minutes vs A&M.  He got lucky to get a late pick on a bad decision by the QB or the ball game would have been over.

7 hours ago, Auburn Kev said:

Was listening to the 11/9/18 Rundown podcast, Tate & Matthews were discussing this. He is definitely out of touch with what is happening at Auburn. 

Not gonna lie, I'm tempted to join Auburnsports.com just to support these guys. Their show is entertaining as hell and refreshingly honest.

• 1 month later...

If Kirk Herbstreet never utters another word about college football, it will be too soon for me. The guy is a biased, inconsistent clown. He, Corso and Desmond Howard can all ride off into the sunset together for all I care. Cant stand any of them. 

On 12/26/2018 at 8:31 AM, twilli13 said:

If Kirk Herbstreet never utters another word about college football, it will be too soon for me. The guy is a biased, inconsistent clown. He, Corso and Desmond Howard can all ride off into the sunset together for all I care. Cant stand any of them. 

:bow:

On 12/26/2018 at 6:31 AM, twilli13 said:

So true.  These guys are nothing more than shills for ESPN.  After the debacle of 2004 exposed the lunacy of the BCS picking 2 of 5 undefeated teams to play for the national championship, Herbstreit et al were still spouting the ESPN talking points of "every game matters" to keep the BCS intact. I rarely listen to pre or post-game analyses anymore because they just regurgitate more of the same -- "we shouldn't expand to an 8-team playoff because (insert more support for ESPN's contract to televise CFB Playoff thru 2025.)  

Kirk predicted wrong in pretty much every key game save for amen corner. He knows as much about Auburn as we do. 

He predicted:

Washington

Auburn v LSU

Auburn v Miss State 

Auburn v Tennessee

Auburn v Ole Miss (he thought our players didn’t care.)

Auburn v AtM 

Archived