Another loss to a rival

NolaAuTiger

3 hours ago, AubTigers said:

The inconsistency beating rival teams is nothing new. Auburn hasn't beat LSU back to back since '99-'00, Georgia '04-'05 and Alabama '06-'07. Those schools out recruit Auburn on a yearly basis and will continue to even with a new coach. I've never liked Malzahn, but I don't think a coaching change is going to get the results some people want. 

I was born in 1981. The first 24 or so years of my life, we beat Georgia and Bama more than they beat us. Things changed when our rivals started hiring better coaches than us. Uga hired Richt and he started dominating us in 2006. Bama hired Saban and they started dominating us in 2008. We could have hired a legitimate coach to step up our program after Tuberville, but we instead countered with Chizik and Malzahn. Auburn could definitely at least cut the gap way down with a big time coach. 

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, twilli13 said:

I was born in 1981. The first 24 or so years of my life, we beat Georgia and Bama more than they beat us. Things changed when our rivals started hiring better coaches than us. Uga hired Richt and he started dominating us in 2006. Bama hired Saban and they started dominating us in 2008. We could have hired a legitimate coach to step up our program after Tuberville, but we instead countered with Chizik and Malzahn. Auburn could definitely at least cut the gap way down with a big time coach. 

People say “It hasn’t happened so It can never happen at AU”. Some of us expect auburn to take that next step. Complacency does not breed success.

Just now, Maverick.AU said:

People say “It hasn’t happened so It can never happen at AU”. Some of us expect auburn to take that next step. Complacency does not breed success.

Exactly. Thinking back, imagine what people said during the Barfield years. Probably something along the lines of what that Bama assistant told Bo Jackson. He would never beat Bama while at Au. Winners take the challenge. Bo took the challenge and proved him wrong. Au hired Dye and won big. It can be done. There is a coach out there that can get us back. I dont have the answer. But the appropriate folks at Au should be working relentlessly towards finding the answer. That might mean putting some more people on staff that know about football. No rest or bs excuses until balance is restored and Au is back where we belong. 

1 minute ago, twilli13 said:

Exactly. Thinking back, imagine what people said during the Barfield years. Probably something along the lines of what that Bama assistant told Bo Jackson. He would never beat Bama while at Au. Winners take the challenge. Bo took the challenge and proved him wrong. Au hired Dye and won big. It can be done. There is a coach out there that can get us back. I dont have the answer. But the appropriate folks at Au should be working relentlessly towards finding the answer. That might mean putting some more people on staff that know about football. No rest or bs excuses until balance is restored and Au is back where we belong. 

Exactly, and the coach that gets us there isn’t Gus, that much is clear, and why so many are ready for a change

19 hours ago, murpjf88 said:

Georgia was actually a beatable team. They are going to get thoroghly embarrassed against Alabama to the likes we have never seen before. They could easily !ose by 40+.

I am so hoping for this. A shutout in the SEC championship game would be delightful...except when it’s at Bama’s hands. 

If you want my honest opinion, with our talent, I think most coaches in America could get a special season every so often. AU just needs a change plain and simple, the mediocrity is weighing on fans, and on the players. Players come here expecting to compete for titles and they are flat out not. AU needs to make a commitment to making that next step.

1 hour ago, twilli13 said:

Just for "fun" I compiled this stat. I feel the start of the Pat Dye era to the end of the BCS era is a good time frame.

1981-2013, vs. Georgia: 17-15-1

1981-2013, vs. Alabama: 18-15

29 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Just for "fun" I compiled this stat. I feel the start of the Pat Dye era to the end of the BCS era is a good time frame.

1981-2013, vs. Georgia: 17-15-1

1981-2013, vs. Alabama: 18-15

There ya go. And those numbers include the tail end of the Tubs era and the Chizik years. You take those away, we were even better against Uga and Bama. I'm just tired of losing to their arrogant classless aholes fans who constantly troll us after wins. 

25 minutes ago, twilli13 said:

There ya go. And those numbers include the tail end of the Tubs era and the Chizik years. You take those away, we were even better against Uga and Bama. I'm just tired of losing to their arrogant classless aholes fans who constantly troll us after wins. 

It's just that I feel like throwing in our two SEC titles and BCS title appearances looks better overall.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2018 at 7:09 PM, Maverick.AU said:

If you want my honest opinion, with our talent, I think most coaches in America could get a special season every so often. AU just needs a change plain and simple, the mediocrity is weighing on fans, and on the players. Players come here expecting to compete for titles and they are flat out not. AU needs to make a commitment to making that next step.

Roster is good enough. Need a staff.

3 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

Roster is good enough. Need a staff.

Agree, but it’s going to be tough without a REC and steroids. I know the truth hurts us but those are absolute facts!

On 11/11/2018 at 6:14 PM, twilli13 said:

We are about to approach the barfield years, I just feel it, it’s about to get bad

16 minutes ago, shabby said:

who 8s gonna be coming to aufamily every 10 minutes the next few days looking for coaching change rumors. I am I am

You won't be alone. I feel like a kid again with anticipation during the Christmas season. 🎁

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:05 PM, NolaAuTiger said:

. I want Gus to have success. But more than that, I don't want to see our football program dig itself into a pit that will take a decade to climb out of......

Can't have it both ways, Need new blood to have a chance at reversing this train wreck.

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 8:54 PM, twilli13 said:

Is it possible to put yourself in position to not have to be trolled by them? Just sayin' 

I actually still dont feel like the play calling was that bad until the mid 3rd, although its inexcusable we stopped the stretch looks running the ball and abandoned Martin and Shivers.

matter of fact, maybe the play calling was that bad. 

1 minute ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I actually still dont feel like the play calling was that bad until the mid 3rd, although its inexcusable we stopped the stretch looks running the ball and abandoned Martin and Shivers.

The  playcalling was great on the drives we scored on.

5 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I was mostly upset in the 2nd quarter.  We were running the ball efficiently between the tackles with Whitlow and then got away from it for some unknown reason.  Our only chance was to limit Bama's possessions.

3 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I was mostly upset in the 2nd quarter.  We were running the ball efficiently between the tackles with Whitlow and then got away from it for some unknown reason.  Our only chance was to limit Bama's possessions.

Whitlow was a good inside change of pace with the outside guys I mentioned. When we just started pounding him incessantly was when it became an inefficient mess. And I dont even know what pass plays we were drawing up, but I wouldve loved a few more crossing routes. I mean we had some but Stidham either led his receivers into head on head collisions or threw the ball too short behind the line of scrimmage. Ill give Gus credit for even trusting Stidham to throw at all

On 11/11/2018 at 7:00 PM, auburn4ever said:

It won't be the last time we lose to a Rival while Malzahn remainds Auburn's head coach.

Lol, hate to be Debbie Downer but it won't be the last time Auburn loses to a rival regardless of who the coach is.

I'd really love to know who you think is gonna walk in here next year and never lose to the current version of Alabama ever ever ever again though.

Archived